LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-06-2009, 03:04 AM

I'll go ahead and mention this:

My grandfather fought in Germany in WWII in a tank brigade. Now, just before the bombs dropped, he and his platoon along with hundreds of others were stationed on the west coast US, ready to go off on what was called D-Day +3. This entailed a full-on invasion of the main island, Honshu. The projected casualty rate by the US Military was 90%. That means the military was willingly sending 90% of however many thousands of soldiers were meant to go there, to their deaths. Reason being, the war would be brought to the doorsteps of families, who would defend their home till their last breath.

Why do I know this? Because he won't stop telling me every time he sees me. It's like now because I live in Japan, I'm the Japan Guy, and everyone feels they need to relate to that. It's not like I had a life before that or anything... god, I feel awful every time he tells me that story.

Anyway, that's my contribution to the topic. If the bombs hadn't dropped, it would've gotten pretty hairy. Like, wookie orgy hairy. The bombs dropped, the Japanese surrendered, the war ended on that front.

And, to the OP: Seriously? You really felt the need to bring this up? It happened, there's no way to go back and make it not have happened, and it remains a pretty touchy subject for many. I think a modicum of tact would have been in order.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
I'll go ahead and mention this:

My grandfather fought in Germany in WWII in a tank brigade. Now, just before the bombs dropped, he and his platoon along with hundreds of others were stationed on the west coast US, ready to go off on what was called D-Day +3. This entailed a full-on invasion of the main island, Honshu. The projected casualty rate by the US Military was 90%. That means the military was willingly sending 90% of however many thousands of soldiers were meant to go there, to their deaths. Reason being, the war would be brought to the doorsteps of families, who would defend their home till their last breath.

Why do I know this? Because he won't stop telling me every time he sees me. It's like now because I live in Japan, I'm the Japan Guy, and everyone feels they need to relate to that. It's not like I had a life before that or anything... god, I feel awful every time he tells me that story.

Anyway, that's my contribution to the topic. If the bombs hadn't dropped, it would've gotten pretty hairy. Like, wookie orgy hairy. The bombs dropped, the Japanese surrendered, the war ended on that front.

And, to the OP: Seriously? You really felt the need to bring this up? It happened, there's no way to go back and make it not have happened, and it remains a pretty touchy subject for many. I think a modicum of tact would have been in order.
My grandfather also fought against the Japanese in the Pacific. He was one of the handful that left the Philippines with General MacArthur.

Many people here have no idea what the world was like during the war. It's easy enough now to say what could or should have been done, but it's as pointless as crying over spilled milk.

Japan was not an honorable enemy. The Japanese Army raped, killed, and plundered on an unprecedented scale. Anyone here can look up the "rape of Nanking) and see pictures taken by Japanese soldiers.

Allied prisoners of war suffered terribly under the Japanese. The Japanese had signed the Geneva and Hague conventions concerning the treatment of prisoners, but unlike Germany, chose not to obey them. Countless thousands of prisoners died of starvation and neglect, or were simply worked to death. More than 100,000 died as slave laborers constructing the Thailand/Burma railway (made famous by the movie "Bridge on the River Kwai".

The Japanese performed medical experiments on prisoners of war and Chinese civilians which made the acts committed by Hitler and the Nazi SS seem tame.

The mood of America in 1945 toward Japan was pure and simple hatred, and the Japanese at the time did much to earn that hatred.

BTW, it addition to the 107,000 Japanese soldiers who died during the battle of Okinawa, more than 140,000 civilians also perished. The atomic bombs killed only a fraction of that many people. Does anyone still think that dropping the bombs was a bad idea?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sblegach (Offline)
you gonna eat that?

Send a message via AIM to Sblegach Send a message via MSN to Sblegach
08-06-2009, 03:26 AM

Was a horrible day.

Yes thats all I have to say, what more is there.

Mada Mada Dane

Pyon!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-06-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblegach View Post
Was a horrible day.

Yes thats all I have to say, what more is there.
Only this:

The 7 Most Bizarrely Unlucky People Who Ever Lived - Page 2 | Cracked.com

Scroll down to Mister #1.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 03:34 AM

Yes and no..

Were there other ways to win the war? Of course. Japan was all but beaten at the time. But it was the easiest way to win the war as well as the way in which the Americans could reap the most reward as Sangetsu points out.

In saying that though... I particularly hate this discussion because it's redundant and you always get the annoying, chest thumping, American patriot who likes to pretend that America were somehow the "good guys" of WW2.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 08-06-2009 at 03:36 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-06-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Yes and no..

Were there other ways to win the war? Of course. Japan was all but beaten at the time. But it was the easiest way to win the war as well as the way in which the Americans could reap the most reward as Sangetsu points out.

In saying that though... I particularly hate this discussion because it's redundant and you always get the annoying, chest thumping, American patriot who likes to pretend that America were somehow the "good guys" of WW2.
Let's not make up characters in an argument that don't exist yet, Ronin.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-06-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
you always get the annoying, chest thumping, American patriot who likes to pretend that America were somehow the "good guys" of WW2.
Well, we certainly weren't the ones committing genocide. Or subjugating, raping, and pillaging our way through neighboring countries.

So... yeah.

Oops, look, it got off topic. I guess we can all stop talking about it now!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-06-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv20 View Post
hiroshima august 6th 1945,nagasaki august 9th 1945.i myself would have dropped it offshore to show it's awesome power.yet,the people in charge said it must be used.the war had to end....the allies would have to invade japan island by island,street to street,house to house and millions would have died.japan itself may have been destroyed like carthage was during roman times.is it right to trade a few hundred thousand for a few million lives?
I think dropping was the right decision and saved many lives, as well as opening the dangers, not only for Nippon but also the rest of the planet to the dangerous consequences of this awful weapon.

Cheers - Oz
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sblegach (Offline)
you gonna eat that?

Send a message via AIM to Sblegach Send a message via MSN to Sblegach
08-06-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Well, im not saying it was good. But what can we do? It happened already, and giving links and facts about why they should or should not have well, wont change history. Not trying to be a DBag or anything just saying. It was bad, and I dont think the U.S should have gone to such extremes and thats that.

Mada Mada Dane

Pyon!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

08-06-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblegach View Post
Well, im not saying it was good. But what can we do? It happened already, and giving links and facts about why they should or should not have well, wont change history. Not trying to be a DBag or anything just saying. It was bad, and I dont think the U.S should have gone to such extremes and thats that.
I'm not giving links and facts. If you look more carefully, it's an article on a comedy website. The purpose of said article is to ellicit a, "Holy ****in' ****" type reaction. Besides, I thought it relevant.

You're not a DBag. It's done. Over. Can't change it. Which is why this is a silly thread. This discussion has been had millions of times and I'm sure a quick google search would show transcripts of those discussions, should someone (OP?) want to delve into it.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。