JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
peterv20 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

did the u.s.have to drop the bomb? - 08-06-2009, 01:59 AM

hiroshima august 6th 1945,nagasaki august 9th 1945.i myself would have dropped it offshore to show it's awesome power.yet,the people in charge said it must be used.the war had to end....the allies would have to invade japan island by island,street to street,house to house and millions would have died.japan itself may have been destroyed like carthage was during roman times.is it right to trade a few hundred thousand for a few million lives?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-06-2009, 02:04 AM

I don't know.......maybe we should write a petition, and change things.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

08-06-2009, 02:05 AM

No I don't think the US had to drop the bomb. Before they dropped it, it was all ready the victory of the US. You can say that US dropped the bomb to end the war quicker. "sadly thousand of innocent people had to die" War is horrible and sad.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-06-2009, 02:05 AM

I am going to warn you now that once the thread goes off the rails it will be shut down.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am going to warn you now that once the thread goes off the rails it will be shut down.
I have a strange, and vague feeling that, that will happen very fast.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

08-06-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You have a good point this topic is very controversial.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

08-06-2009, 02:18 AM

They wanted to just show their -devastating- new toy. Nothing else.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-06-2009, 02:24 AM

Yes, they needed to be dropped. The other option was a long, bloody invasion that would have killed millions of people. Dropping them offshore would not have worked, would've been seen as a sign of weakness to the Japanese, and we only had 2 bombs left, none to spare.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 02:27 AM

I don't have any opinion about a-bomb.

I want the DPJ to bring a truth commission about WWII after the election. It's because of the LDP's sketchy history.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 02:41 AM

Before anyone goes on about the necessity of dropping the bombs, or how many would have died had they not been dropped, just look at the casualty figures from Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Iwo Jima was a tiny island, yet nearly 7000 American soldiers died in the battle, and nearly 20,000 more were wounded. More than 20,000 Japanese died.

In Okinawa more than 12,000 Americans were killed nearly 40,000 wounded. More than 100,000 Japanese died.

Iwo Jima and Okinawa were not part of the "Home Islands", yet they were defended to the death.

When looked at this way, you can see how the US came to justify the use of the Atomic bombs. And you must also remember that with the defeat of Germany, the Soviets were on their way to make war on the Japanese themselves. The Russians were still ashamed of their defeat against the Japanese Navy earlier in the century, and they were hoping to avenge that defeat, and perhaps add yet another satellite to their union.

The US had no doubts about the Russian's intentions (after what was already going on in Europe), so the war had to be ended as quickly as possible.