JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Same thing with the word "black". I find "black people" equally as offensive, considering African American's* (p/c ) aren't actually black
Maybe we should go back to the term "colored" then.
Quote:
*The term "African American" is ridiculous and long-winded -- and in itself is racist because it segregates what type of "American" you are.
Yep, pretty much. Guess that goes for everyone here, but, to my knowledge, they need the whole classification thing (for jobs I guess) to see how many of each works for said company or schools, etc. I could be wrong, though.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

08-13-2009, 08:13 PM

The word negro is used in Spanish...alot, so yeah, I say it often. :P

I kinda feel the difference between the way it is used in the spanish language and the way it's used other times is that The E is enphasized more. :P

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#33 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
You act like black people, or of African descent (which no longer makes sense since I met a white African the other day), were the only race ever enslaved. There are still slaves of all races to this day. And unless you are still a slave, you have the same opportunities as I do in America and thanks to "Affirmative Action" in some cases better than others. So how have you been destroyed? Again, we all make our own opportunities.

I don't think their history is more painful than others, they just choose to keep reminding everyone of it. Why is it OK for a black person to use the "N" word but if a white does it they are a racist? It would be better if we just left the history in the past and everyone quit playing the victim game and quit using all racial slurs.
I'm sorry that it doesn't make any sense to you. Because of the context - the fact that I'm speak of black people who have been taking from Africa as slaves - I meant, "African descent" as in black people here in the USA.

Why have we been destroyed?

http://vincentyettes.files.wordpress...tillcasket.jpg
(WARNING: The above is an image that really isn't for the faint of heart.)

Emmett Till, an example who why black people have been destroyed in America. Don't know who he is? Look him up.

According to an article:

Quote:
African-Americans, even today, over 30 years after the civil rights movement, are oppressed in many ways.

-African-Americans numbered about 34.2 million in 1997, making up 12.8 Percent of the total U.S. population, according to tabulations released by the Commerce Department's Census Bureau (Feb. 7, 2000)

-The income of 2.1 million African-American families (26 percent) was below the poverty level.

-Incidents of racial hate crime reported to the police, by bias motivation in 1998 was 4,468. The highest number was reported by African-Americans: 2,901.

-Between 1975 and 1997, African-Americans had the highest unemployment rate.

-African-Americans aged 12 and up are the most victimized group in America. 41.7 over 1,000 of them are victims of violent crimes, compared with whites (36.3 over 1,000). This does not include murder.
Here's another interesting link: Statistics of Racism

In my opinion, it isn't all right for anyone to use "nigger." The black people who say that they can are victims of ignorance. I also don't believe that any of this should be left in the past.

Do you think that the Holocaust is something that should be left in the past?

Perhaps it would make you more comfortable if we forgot. Perhaps it would make Neo-Nazis more comfortable if we forgot about the Holocaust. Either way, it's not going to happen because it's a part of our history and it's been ignored for too long. It's something that we still need to learn from today.

If you didn't like being reminded of our history, then why did you come into and reply to this thread?

A couple of other things for you to glance through:
Racism 2009
You may be more racist than you think, study says - CNN.com

LOVE: pass it on
(#34 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
You act like black people, or of African descent (which no longer makes sense since I met a white African the other day), were the only race ever enslaved. There are still slaves of all races to this day. And unless you are still a slave, you have the same opportunities as I do in America and thanks "Affirmative Action" in some cases better than others. So how have you been destroyed? Again, we all make our own opportunities.
But the original poster was referring to American hardships, not any other place. We still have a ways to go, and no one can deny that black/African American males are still having trouble climbing up the ladder even with Affirmative Action. I'm just thinking about my mother's workplace. You can probably count on one hand how many males "of color" actually work there.
Quote:
I don't think their history is more painful than others, they just choose to keep reminding everyone of it. Why is it OK for a black person to use the "N" word but if a white does it they are a racist? It would be better if we just left the history in the past and [b]everyone quit playing the victim game and quit using all racial slurs.
Because it's a stupid double standard. It's like it was programmed for us to "fear white people" or something because of the bad history. When whites use it, it's associated with hatred of us, so that's probably why it's assumed that the white person is a racist if he/she decides to use it. When blacks use it, imo, it's just downright stupid, but even reading those old slave narratives, even they used the term, but, it's not surprising since they were forced here and had to learn English and probably heard it (it's like when a child may use bad language; he/she didn't come out knowing it, they had to learn it or pick it up from someplace). If it's all they heard, I could understand why they would use it. There's no excuse for it now.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-13-2009 at 08:17 PM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

08-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Any words/expressions can be seen as an insult/accompliment. There are people who will be extremely offended if you call them "cute", and others who will be all excited if you call them "ugly". Thats the same if you call a black person "black". Eather he will freak out, or will accept it since hes proud of the color of his skin. Wherever if the concept/context of it is negative/positive, different people take it differently.

I have this best childhood friend, who is black, who i kindly call "Preto" (Black, in portuguese) and he doesnt realy mind if i call him that. Why so? Because thats what we are, friends. He knows my intentions are not to insult him, and even if my intentions were to insult him, he would probably reply: "Yeah, im black and im proud of it, thanks for the accompliment."

People tend to follow "clichés" to the extreme... Just be proud of your color and if people calls you Dark/Black/Preto/Negro, just dont take it negatively EVEN if its in a negative way. If you are "black", be proud of it. Its just like if people call me "portuguese guy" or something like "F*** you portuguese guy". I dont take neather positive/negative. Im portuguese, i have no problems on people calling me so. Now the "F*** you", that would not be polite.

Edit: If black people continue to follow such cliches, getting pissed off by such words, people from other races will ALWAYS tend to use it as an insult. Why? Because black people find it an insult.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 08-13-2009 at 08:18 PM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
To be honest, I don't see much wrong with the word "negro". I always thought that the term just meant "black" in general. I know if I heard someone use it, I wouldn't view it as its being degrading, just very dated and just shows what time period that person grew up in. My grandmother still uses the term "colored".

Either way, I see where you're coming from.
Yeah, I've found that the older generations still use derogatory terms - not to be racist, but because it's what they grew up using. I know an older person that still calls people from Asian backgrounds "the Orient." x_x

These days, though, it just carries too many implications and is pretty offensive to the younger generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
i agree, people do think nigger is the most terrible slur out there. yet it's in music and everyday "gangsta" greeting everybody uses. it's evolved into the unknown to who can and can't use it
To me, it's not the unknown. It shouldn't be used.

There's a huge double standard where black people feel that it can be used in the black community, though. I think I'm going to start reading some articles to figure out why, because I can't really say why black people don't find it just as degrading as if a white person were to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotenmemory View Post
The word negro is used in Spanish...alot, so yeah, I say it often. :P

I kinda feel the difference between the way it is used in the spanish language and the way it's used other times is that The E is enphasized more. :P
lol yeeeeeah.

I thought "e" was only used with "negroes"? Like plural?

Ugh. I don't know. I don't want to discuss the correct grammar for it. x_x

LOVE: pass it on

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-14-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: multipost, again...
(#37 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

08-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
lol yeeeeeah.

I thought "e" was only used with "negroes"? Like plural?

Ugh. I don't know. I don't want to discuss the correct grammar for it. x_x
It's not pronounced the same way either. We pronounce it "neegrow", for them, it's more so like, "naygro"...sort of.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
08-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
African-Americans, even today, over 30 years after the civil rights movement, are oppressed in many ways.

-African-Americans numbered about 34.2 million in 1997, making up 12.8 Percent of the total U.S. population, according to tabulations released by the Commerce Department's Census Bureau (Feb. 7, 2000)

-The income of 2.1 million African-American families (26 percent) was below the poverty level.

-Incidents of racial hate crime reported to the police, by bias motivation in 1998 was 4,468. The highest number was reported by African-Americans: 2,901.

-Between 1975 and 1997, African-Americans had the highest unemployment rate.

-African-Americans aged 12 and up are the most victimized group in America. 41.7 over 1,000 of them are victims of violent crimes, compared with whites (36.3 over 1,000). This does not include murder.
i fail to see how this supports your theory in how blacks are being destroyed in america...

-African-Americans numbered about 300 million in 2020, making up 100 Percent of the total U.S. population

i changed it a little... would this make you happy?! the origonal 12.8% of population is A HIGH PERCENT of any race. for every 100 people, there are about 13 african americans. so the other 87 will include all the races categorized in white, all the races categorized in asian, and all the races categorized as hispanic, and so on... how is that destroyed? because of the high numbers of african americans there will be a great number that are unemployed (like any race) and that are poor (like any race)

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Tordek42 (Offline)
Absolute Corruption

Send a message via MSN to Tordek42 Send a message via Skype™ to Tordek42
08-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Edit: If black people continue to follow such cliches, getting pissed off by such words, people from other races will ALWAYS tend to use it as an insult. Why? Because black people find it an insult.
I absolutely agree with you on that. I think the fact that black people find these sort of terms offensive has made them offensive (if you understand what I mean).

Owner of:
(G) Chisato (PENICILLIN)
(D) HAYATO (Moi dix Mois)

(G) Ryu☆ (PureQ&A)
(B) Yu~ki (Malice Mizer)
(G) EITA (Jikuu Kaizoku SEVEN SEAS)
(V) Marshall K (
Jikuu Kaizoku SEVEN SEAS)

RIP hide, forever in our hearts...

(#40 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
08-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Why do you keep bringing topics up like this? Seeing that your previous topics have gone down the drain, I really doubt that this one will be much different.
Closed Thread