JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Help!! My parents are planning on getting rid of anything Japanese in the house!!! - 08-14-2009, 06:48 AM

For many years I have been interested in the Japanese culture. But my parents are planning on taking that away. Why? because they think America is the greatest country that ever stepped foot on the planet. They think it's the coolest thing since the computer. For quite sometime my mom would let me do my own thing. Now she thinks it's high time to get me to get rid of my passion. BOTH my parents even have the decentcy (sp) to call me a racist because I think the Japanese are cool. They even said that America is the center of the world and is a utopia.

Okay.... is this crap or what? I would love to live in Japan and stuff but do you REALLY think this is correct? No all countries have their problems but IMHO I think that our country in these recent years has the most. Is it okay to force such opinions as "America is the greatest thing since the computer?". I think not. I even said I thought the shinto religion was interesting but had no interest in becoming one. I like Japanese history. But my parents think I am going to become apart of what they call "a cult". My dad especially thinks that the shinto religion is a "cult". He even stated that in his house EVERYONE must be christian. I am SO getting tired of being told that AMERICANS are the ultimate race. And that everyother race must kiss our feet.

And that other countries are the worst of the worst. Also that every country is NOT free and are controlled down to what they wear.

If I said this before I'm sorry, they said they wont even let me visit or live in the country once I move out. They REALLY think they can controll how I spend my money? to them XD
(#2 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Maybe you've made your unhealthy obsession with Japan too obvious, and they are doing it for your own mental well-being.

But your parents, they are warped by their Christian guilt and have no idea what the World is like.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Once you are 18 and out, who cares what they think?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 06:53 AM

[Read the bottom selected- I am sorry that I'm doing bad on this forum, I'm too stressed out at the moment TT___TT

Last edited by DaisukeKigurou : 08-14-2009 at 06:57 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 06:55 AM

Yeah it's that but what should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Once you are 18 and out, who cares what they think?
I am 18 and still in school! I really feel cornered!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2009, 06:59 AM

What can we do?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post
For many years I have been interested in the Japanese culture. But my parents are planning on taking that away. Why? because they think America is the greatest country that ever stepped foot on the planet. They think it's the coolest thing since the computer. For quite sometime my mom would let me do my own thing. Now she thinks it's high time to get me to get rid of my passion. BOTH my parents even have the decentcy (sp) to call me a racist because I think the Japanese are cool. They even said that America is the center of the world and is a utopia.

Okay.... is this crap or what? I would love to live in Japan and stuff but do you REALLY think this is correct? No all countries have their problems but IMHO I think that our country in these recent years has the most. Is it okay to force such opinions as "America is the greatest thing since the computer?". I think not. I even said I thought the shinto religion was interesting but had no interest in becoming one. I like Japanese history. But my parents think I am going to become apart of what they call "a cult". My dad especially thinks that the shinto religion is a "cult". He even stated that in his house EVERYONE must be christian. I am SO getting tired of being told that AMERICANS are the ultimate race. And that everyother race must kiss our feet.

And that other countries are the worst of the worst. Also that every country is NOT free and are controlled down to what they wear.

If I said this before I'm sorry, they said they wont even let me visit or live in the country once I move out. They REALLY think they can controll how I spend my money? to them XD
Once your 18 you have control over your own life (not completely in legal terms but you get the idea).

You will not find another country that will offer the freedom and opportunity that America has. I wouldn't think past your parents having a good amount of patriotism in there blood. In the sense your parents probably want the best for you, and this is a foreign idea to them and they might be "scared" (you should get the meaning.)

I would say the most easy and arguably best solution is to obey your parents until you can stand up finical and move out with goals, then make your intention known to them. then it would be in there "ball court" to decide how to take it. They still act the same, don't hate them for it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
But your parents, they are warped by their Christian guilt and have no idea what the World is like.
You know better. There are such things as missionaries.

That said, I would also point out your dad saying you must be a Christian is in no way making you a Christian. Same principle applies for the most religions.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Give me adivise.... I really need it.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post
Give me adivise.... I really need it.
Bite your tongue. Say "yes sir" and be patient until you can move out.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:07 AM

That's what I do already.