(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

08-13-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
I though that only black people (can i say that) were allowed to say that word
From what I understood, it's ok for a black person to call another black person that, but not for anyone else.

correct me if I'm wrong.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#12 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think it is unfortunate when any word, regardless of history, is used to insult a person or group of people.
I also feel it is unfortunate when a word`s meaning is gradually changed over time to something offensive due to usage - making that word impossible to be used without offense.
I'm so happy you posted. Can we talk about why the word "negro" is offensive, please?

Rewind: 1960s, when "colored" and "negro" was used casually in day-to-day life. My mother is from this era, and she grew up using the word "negro." She also grew up in a time when she couldn't use the same water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white children.

That was then. To call another person a "negro" brings in the idea that the person is inferior, and shouldn't be able to use water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white people. To say that I'm a negro takes me back to "then," when I didn't have the same rights - when people didn't think I should have the same rights.

Now, I do. Now I'm (basically) seen as an equal human being. I'm black, a person of African descent. To say I'm a "negro" is extremely offensive and derogatory, and it's not just me and my paranoia. It's a cultural thing, across the USA. (Except for wherever it is the KKK and the Neo-Nazis dwell.)

Okay. I just had to get that off of my chest. I personally don't think that it's a bad thing a word comes with historic connotations, and that its meaning can be changed over the generations. I personally wouldn't want to be referred to as a nigger. While at one point it was used to refer to the entire black population, originally it was a white slave owner's little pet.

I'm not a white slave owner's little pet.

LOVE: pass it on
(#13 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:30 PM

It's amazing how much language effects people.

It's like saying "Gosh darn it" over "God damn it".... They essentially mean the same thing -- you imply the same meaning.

Same thing with the word "black". I find "black people" equally as offensive, considering African American's* (p/c ) aren't actually black

The very word 'negro' or 'nigger' are early variants of neger, negar -- which derive from the Spanish and Portugese word 'negro', or "black."

*The term "African American" is ridiculous and long-winded -- and in itself is racist because it segregates what type of "American" you are.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
From what I understood, it's ok for a black person to call another black person that, but not for anyone else.

correct me if I'm wrong.
That's... an unfortunate double standard.

I'm extremely PC (and proud of that), and I know that people who study race relations and all that jazz will say that "nigger" is offensive no matter who uses it. I also know some black people who say "nigger" to each other and degrade each other, and that when a person of another race uses it, they freak out.

It's not right, period.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post

It's like saying "Gosh darn it" over "God damn it".... They essentially mean the same thing -- you imply the same meaning.

Same thing with the word "black". I find "black people" equally as offensive, considering African American's* (p/c :-P) aren't actually black

The very word 'negro' or 'nigger' are early variants of neger, negar -- which derive from the Spanish and Portugese word 'negro', or "black."

*The term "African American" is ridiculous and long-winded -- and in itself is racist because it segregates what type of "American" you are.

As I understood, "Nigger" came from "Negro" and "Necro"

basically describing black as nothing....

(#16 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
08-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
That could have to do with the history of the USA.

The Japanese most certainly have not had their fair treatment in the USA. Neither have the Chinese. I can't say much for the other Asian backgrounds, but I know for sure that the Japanese and Chinese didn't have such a great life here in the USA.

People of African descent, however...

We've essentially been destroyed. I'm not trying to play the "who was more of a victim?" game. It's just a fact. From Africa, across the Middle Passage, into slavery, and for decades of torture, destruction of culture, and being "coloreds", "negros", and "niggers"... "Nigger" just tends to heave up a hell of a lot more painful history that other ethnic slurs, simply because black people have had more of a painful history than other races.

Besides the Native Americans. They've been screwed, and still are being screwed today.

I think that the Black Power Movement may have made that clear, and so that's usually why - for people who find the word offensive, anyway - people tend to have such a violent reaction.
every race had their fair share of hardship. but it's made USA more diverse and mixed with culture.

my last post about being called gook and calling the offender nigger. i'm trying to say that both should be on the same level, both are racial slurs.

by the way, gook is a vietnamese racial slur not japanese or chinese. it means poop in vietnamese.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#17 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
As I understood, "Nigger" came from "Negro" and "Necro"

basically describing black as nothing....
If you read what I said, "neger" and "negar" evolved into the 'N-word' -- All these words came from "negro."
(#18 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Same thing with the word "black". I find "black people" equally as offensive, considering African American's* (p/c :-P) aren't actually black

I also don't like the word "black." It has the connotation of evil and darkness, whereas "white" has the connotation of purity and innocence. Unfortunately, I can't go around making an entirely new language... but hopefully language will be broken down eventually so that we can just refer to one another as "people."

You're also right about "African American." It's basically saying that black people in American have a double identity, where as white Americans are just... Americans. I think "African American" is slowly becoming outdated, though.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-13-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
If you read what I said, "neger" and "negar" evolved into the 'N-word' -- All these words came from "negro."
I read, i just didn't want to to type more than i have to

(#20 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
every race had their fair share of hardship. but it's made USA more diverse and mixed with culture.

my last post about being called gook and calling the offender nigger. i'm trying to say that both should be on the same level, both are racial slurs.

by the way, gook is a vietnamese racial slur not japanese or chinese. it means poop in vietnamese.
Oh, that's good to know. Not that I'd ever use it. :/ I wasn't saying it was Japanese or Chinese, though. I was just saying that, based on my knowledge of Japanese and Chinese history in America, people with Asian backgrounds haven't had it easy in the USA.

Both should be considered just as terrible, yes. In my book, they are equally bad. I'm just telling you why, socially, people tend to think that "nigger" is worst.

Closed Thread