JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The N-Word - 08-13-2009, 06:31 PM

My last post was deleted because I used inappropriate terms. If I offended anyone, then I'm very sorry. I simply wanted to make a point.

I feel like there's a double standard that's been set not only on this forum, but in the society I now live in. Terms such as "crackers" and "white trash" are considered completely offensive, but words such as "negro" and "nigger" are seen as all right to use - in many races.

"Nigger" is used in a lot of today's popular music, and many feel that this is a sign to say it to one another. Black to black, black to white, white to white - and white to black. Do you think that the word "nigger" is okay to be used in any situation?

What about the word "negro"? "Negro" was once used to describe the black population, but since the 1960s, it's been considered a racial slur and extremely derogatory.

If you see or hear a racial slur used, what do you do? Do you use racial slurs, and if so, why?

EDIT: Everyone, thanks for all of the opinions! I really enjoyed learning about people's opinions, thoughts, ideas, etc. Unfortunately, I think I've been spending too much time on here defending myself and my opinions... almost 5 hours a day now, it seems... whereas real life is waiting for me! I'm going to study abroad in Japan in a couple of weeks, and I really hope I don't spend 5+ hours a day on a forum while I'm there. x_x

Thanks to everyone who I had a great conversation with. I feel kind of bad for abandoning my own thread, but please continue the thread without me.

LOVE: pass it on

Last edited by mercedesjin : 08-15-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: I have to go
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-13-2009, 06:37 PM

being black

I feel thats a terrible word all together, I don't use it, or if it slips out I feel bad. It's really a degrading term. It wasn't used as a term of endearment originally....and now we (black people) take it and use it. and it's everywhere in the media >.>
music N word this and that >.>
And what is really worse as now it's spreads, now hispanics use it (in my town) and it's just not right.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Haven't you learned that words that might offend others are not always deleted? It depends on if the word is used in a derogatory manner and if the discussion warrants it. Sure some questionable ones have been left up, but if you want to post here you better have thick skin and be able to not take it personally. If someone pisses you off and directs it at you, let them have it ban or no ban.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
being black

I feel thats a terrible word all together, I don't use it, or if it slips out I feel bad. It's really a degrading term. It wasn't used as a term of endearment originally....and now we (black people) take it and use it. and it's everywhere in the media >.>
music N word this and that >.>
And what is really worse as now it's spreads, now hispanics use it (in my town) and it's just not right.
No, it's not. And what's worst is that I know people who feel that, because they're black, they have the right to use this word. Then, if they hear a white person use it, they flip out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Haven't you learned that words that might offend others are not always deleted? It depends on if the word is used in a derogatory manner and if the discussion warrants it. Sure some questionable ones have been left up, but if you want to post here you better have thick skin and be able to not take it personally. If someone pisses you off and directs it at you, let them have it ban or no ban.
All right, thanks for your opinion on that issue. How do you feel about racial slurs?

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

08-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
No, it's not. And what's worst is that I know people who feel that, because they're black, they have the right to use this word. Then, if they hear a white person use it, they flip out.
I wish the word could just be eliminated completly XD

(#6 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
08-13-2009, 06:58 PM

I was once walking with a co-worker of mine and we were trading jokes about each other back and forth, being asian it resorted to names such as gook, "luv u long time" and so on. i didn't care but as soon as i said "i'm tired, can i just call you a n****r" he tries to punch me in the stomach. he missed because i am a highly trained ninja.

there's years of background on any racial slur, sure it's offensive, but it seems like the n word is taken to heart a whole lot quicker. (i know it depends on the individual)

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
All right, thanks for your opinion on that issue. How do you feel about racial slurs?
There will always be racial slurs. If it is directed at you, you have the right to speak up for yourself. If it is just thrown out there, I just ignore it because you can't teach ignorant people anything because they think they know everything any way. It's just wasting time.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
I was once walking with a co-worker of mine and we were trading jokes about each other back and forth, being asian it resorted to names such as gook, "luv u long time" and so on. i didn't care but as soon as i said "i'm tired, can i just call you a n****r" he tries to punch me in the stomach. he missed because i am a highly trained ninja.

there's years of background on any racial slur, sure it's offensive, but it seems like the n word is taken to heart a whole lot quicker. (i know it depends on the individual)
That could have to do with the history of the USA.

The Japanese most certainly have not had their fair treatment in the USA. Neither have the Chinese. I can't say much for the other Asian backgrounds, but I know for sure that the Japanese and Chinese didn't have such a great life here in the USA.

People of African descent, however...

We've essentially been destroyed. I'm not trying to play the "who was more of a victim?" game. It's just a fact. From Africa, across the Middle Passage, into slavery, and for decades of torture, destruction of culture, and being "coloreds", "negros", and "niggers"... "Nigger" just tends to heave up a hell of a lot more painful history that other ethnic slurs, simply because black people have had more of a painful history than other races.

Besides the Native Americans. They've been screwed, and still are being screwed today.

I think that the Black Power Movement may have made that clear, and so that's usually why - for people who find the word offensive, anyway - people tend to have such a violent reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
There will always be racial slurs. If it is directed at you, you have the right to speak up for yourself. If it is just thrown out there, I just ignore it because you can't teach ignorant people anything because they think they know everything any way. It's just wasting time.
I disagree. If people always thought that it was "just wasting time," then we would've had absolutely no progress in race relations.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

08-13-2009, 07:11 PM

I though that only black people (can i say that) were allowed to say that word
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-13-2009, 07:18 PM

I think it is unfortunate when any word, regardless of history, is used to insult a person or group of people.
I also feel it is unfortunate when a word`s meaning is gradually changed over time to something offensive due to usage - making that word impossible to be used without offense.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Closed Thread