Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post
That's what I do already.
Then you should be good at it.

You are 18 now, so there isn't that much longer to go.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:22 AM

Yeah, but I think they're warping my mind into believing what THEY believe. I know some of you don't believe this but from what I've read from most of the post and actually talking to people from the country, Japan isn't that bad. My question is, why do many americans go over board and CLAIM their country is better than all the rest. I just believe it's a country like the rest. Not trying to be racist if it seems like that, but I REALLY can't stand people like this.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-14-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but I think they're warping my mind into believing what THEY believe. I know some of you don't believe this but from what I've read from most of the post and actually talking to people from the country, Japan isn't that bad. My question is, why do many americans go over board and CLAIM their country is better than all the rest. I just believe it's a country like the rest. Not trying to be racist if it seems like that, but I REALLY can't stand people like this.
So just dont take what they say to mind on the subject..as MMM said..bite your tongue and go with it.
I've got to deal with 2 years of BS until I can get out of here, how do you think I feel?

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
The fact that you can even say that means they aren't "winning the battle".
(#15 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:32 AM

Frustrated, I was thinking about moving out earlier or something else. (Not going to talk about that). But I REALLY don't want to become closed minded into thinking Japan=bad America=good. My parents have NO interest in other countries. They think that all other countries are bad and America is good. But I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The fact that you can even say that means they aren't "winning the battle".
How? Explain am I REALLY going to become what they want me to be?

edit: Read that wrong, sorry >_<

Last edited by DaisukeKigurou : 08-14-2009 at 07:37 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Every country has those "people". I've said it before about your parents, but all it really is a strong sense of "patriotism" for ones country.

I believe you just feel stressed and pressured. Once you get out of there house and on your own you will feel much better.

There's little anyone on this forum can do for you, about the only thing is encourage and offer advise but it remains for you to take that. the situation will not improve unless you let loose the stress you've been building up. think positive instead of focusing on what your parents want.

Take a break from the "Japanness" (not a word, but has a meaning) and focus on immediate goals of moving out and then focus on your goals in life. Take a step at the time. Rome was not built in a day.

I'm also certain that if I take the steps to put myself into Japan, my parents will not, in no likelihood react kindly to it. I don't let them know what I plan until I set it into motion.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Last edited by solemnclockwork : 08-14-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add a little bit.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Aether (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aether
08-14-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
...My question is, why do many americans go over board and CLAIM their country is better than all the rest. I just believe it's a country like the rest. Not trying to be racist if it seems like that, but I REALLY can't stand people like this.
There will also be people from America that claim that it is the worst. Why do people give these claims? Because they can. However, I would like to believe most American's are somewhere in the middle.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
First, you really need to read this thread: I don't want to live in Japan.

Second, no offense, but I think we are getting a lopsided view of things here. I bet the story your parents would tell has a very different nuance, with you being obsessed by all things Japanese and a loathing for America (as evidenced by your line "all countries have their problems but IMHO I think that our country in these recent years has the most." It sounds to me like you are combining anti-American sentiments with a starry-eyed view of Japan, to a degree that your parents feel is unhealthy. Fact is, America IS one of the best nations on Earth (and there is no "American race"), and Japan is a great country too, but probably not how you picture it.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM

I`m going to guess that you`ve had more than one confrontation with your parents about this.

Pick your battles. Seriously, I think that is the best advice that could be given. I don`t know enough about you, your parents, or the direct reasons for this confrontation...

But if you know it upsets them, why keep up the behavior. Pack the stuff up, put it quietly out of their view, and don`t talk about it when they`re around. You can still keep your interest without flaunting it in their faces and triggering these problems. If you persist in doing things that cause confrontations, well, you only have yourself to blame.
Clearly you know what pushes their buttons. You don`t have to agree with them - just don`t push those buttons.

And now on to my own personal assumptions and opinions on your situation

It really does sound like you have an unhealthy obsession and some very unrealistic expectations. Japan is no utopian wonderland. There are TONS of countries out there in much much worse shape than the US. Saying the US sucks and is the worst is pretty narrow minded - and doubly so if you`ve never lived abroad and are comparing it to a country you`ve never even been to. Even though I prefer Japan to the US, I would STILL be pretty irritated by your attitude if you were my kid.

Get your priorities straight. Right now, you live with your parents, in THEIR house, most likely on THEIR money. The least you can do is abide by their rules and wishes while you live there. If your dad wants you to be a Christian while under his roof, and throws a fit if you talk about other religions - just don`t talk about it. Just go along with it - if you don`t believe, then going to church or doing whatever else they expect of you shouldn`t matter.

Pick your battles. *sigh*

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

08-14-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m going to guess that you`ve had more than one confrontation with your parents about this.

Pick your battles. Seriously, I think that is the best advice that could be given. I don`t know enough about you, your parents, or the direct reasons for this confrontation...

But if you know it upsets them, why keep up the behavior. Pack the stuff up, put it quietly out of their view, and don`t talk about it when they`re around. You can still keep your interest without flaunting it in their faces and triggering these problems. If you persist in doing things that cause confrontations, well, you only have yourself to blame.
Clearly you know what pushes their buttons. You don`t have to agree with them - just don`t push those buttons.

And now on to my own personal assumptions and opinions on your situation

It really does sound like you have an unhealthy obsession and some very unrealistic expectations. Japan is no utopian wonderland. There are TONS of countries out there in much much worse shape than the US. Saying the US sucks and is the worst is pretty narrow minded - and doubly so if you`ve never lived abroad and are comparing it to a country you`ve never even been to. Even though I prefer Japan to the US, I would STILL be pretty irritated by your attitude if you were my kid.

Get your priorities straight. Right now, you live with your parents, in THEIR house, most likely on THEIR money. The least you can do is abide by their rules and wishes while you live there. If your dad wants you to be a Christian while under his roof, and throws a fit if you talk about other religions - just don`t talk about it. Just go along with it - if you don`t believe, then going to church or doing whatever else they expect of you shouldn`t matter.

Pick your battles. *sigh*
*slow clap*

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com