JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-15-2009, 04:27 PM

[quote=GTJ;771374][quote=Ronin4hire;771372]Why are you telling me this?
Quote:

Because you asked?

I said it was a social problem, not a rule that applies completely to every male on Japanese soil.

Are you serious?

Is this guy serious?
I think he just might be? Wow.

Ronin, please calm down. I was addressing you because even though I agree with you that Japanese men aren't necessarily becoming feminized, your argument was flawed. Japanese women mostly date Japanese men because most men in Japan are Japanese. It's just numbers plain and simple. I answered what you asked. I gave the most clearly obvious answer.

I have no comment on if it's a 'social problem' or not, which is why I didn't mention it. I was simply addressing literally why the majority of japanese women might date Japanese men. Again. Numbers. I even said it probably had nothing to do with perceptions of masculinity in Japan.

I also have a problem. Your getting worked up and starting a very needless argument, which GTJ didn't even want to get into for precisely these reasons and I think that even for the best of reasons, your so determined to argue your corner that your reading implications that simply aren't there. I was NOT implying that Japanese men are inferior to anyone. Also I'm female.

If anything, I was implying that there's practicalities in Japan that actually, in terms of a Japanese woman dating choices, Japanese men have distinct advantages, REGARDLESS of if she prefers foreigners or not, simply based on who she may meet and share the most in common with.

For example,I could have a burning passion for Sardinian men, but the fact is I am living in a place where I am highly unlikely to meet one, and much more likely to meet several dozen charming men from somerset and date one of them. And even if I DO run into a Sardinian man, there's nothing to guarantee that we'll get along enough to date. He might smoke and be allergic to horses and hate Japan. He might not like ME.

And that's how it would be If I were Japanese and liked foreign men. I could, if i really wanted to, stay single and wait and hope I meet one, or I could move to somewhere where I'm more likely to meet someone like that. But ten to one, if i don't care that much, I'm not going to bother, not when there's 99 Japanese men around me of whom one might be perfect for my needs, without the bother of language problems or Visas or upsetting mum and dad.

So I'm not saying that women in Japan don't have a choice. If they really have a preference, they'd find a way to enact it, and in saying that, I was actually backing you up.
Right until you accused me of racism, egocentrism and sexist. Oh, and assumed I'm a man (with a strangely girly name? Should have been a hint really, shouldn't it?). Thanks for that.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-15-2009, 04:35 PM

*applauds* Excellent post, Columbine. Encapsulated the entire argument quite well.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-15-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
*applauds* Excellent post, Columbine. Encapsulated the entire argument quite well.
*flops* Thank you. I'm tired now!
(#24 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
*flops* Thank you. I'm tired now!
Otsukare! Haha, I agree, it was a fantastic post. Well done.

If ever you wander 'round to Osaka, I'll treat you to an okonomiyaki.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post

Sweet~<3 I'm am such an okono-addict.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

09-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
This is not about size. Read the thread.
Its a U.M (Urban Myth) and its not related with human height.

But well, nevermind. Probably 1/20 understood what i meant by that.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Now, I'm not up on the sports world or anything, I've only heard of guys playing field hockey as a joke, and they wear the skirts and everything. Do guys really play this previously women-only sport now? (And if so why the hell aren't women playing football on a noticeable level? haha)

Still... seeing these tallish college guys running around hunched over to use the sticks was nothing short of hilarious.

Insights?
Since when has field hockey been a women's only sport?

This is the first time I have heard anyone say that.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-15-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:

I think he just might be? Wow.

Ronin, please calm down. I was addressing you because even though I agree with you that Japanese men aren't necessarily becoming feminized, your argument was flawed. Japanese women mostly date Japanese men because most men in Japan are Japanese. It's just numbers plain and simple. I answered what you asked. I gave the most clearly obvious answer.

I have no comment on if it's a 'social problem' or not, which is why I didn't mention it. I was simply addressing literally why the majority of japanese women might date Japanese men. Again. Numbers. I even said it probably had nothing to do with perceptions of masculinity in Japan.
Then you have said nothing of relevance. I'm quite aware of the statistical probabilities.

And no my argument isn't flawed.

If in fact the supposed feminisation of Japanese men is true, and that it is a social problem, then why do Japanese women tend to date Japanese men as opposed to dating nobody

In fact it wasn't even an argument. I posed it as a question to GTJ.

Quote:
I also have a problem. Your getting worked up and starting a very needless argument, which GTJ didn't even want to get into for precisely these reasons and I think that even for the best of reasons, your so determined to argue your corner that your reading implications that simply aren't there. I was NOT implying that Japanese men are inferior to anyone. Also I'm female.
I'm not getting worked up... I asked some pretty straightforward questions. If I'm reading implications that aren't there then fine. It's why they were questions.

Furthermore you can't blame me for reading such implications into your post. After all it was you that posted irrelevantly and out of context.

And what does being female have to do with anything?

Quote:
If anything, I was implying that there's practicalities in Japan that actually, in terms of a Japanese woman dating choices, Japanese men have distinct advantages, REGARDLESS of if she prefers foreigners or not, simply based on who she may meet and share the most in common with.

For example,I could have a burning passion for Sardinian men, but the fact is I am living in a place where I am highly unlikely to meet one, and much more likely to meet several dozen charming men from somerset and date one of them. And even if I DO run into a Sardinian man, there's nothing to guarantee that we'll get along enough to date. He might smoke and be allergic to horses and hate Japan. He might not like ME.

And that's how it would be If I were Japanese and liked foreign men. I could, if i really wanted to, stay single and wait and hope I meet one, or I could move to somewhere where I'm more likely to meet someone like that. But ten to one, if i don't care that much, I'm not going to bother, not when there's 99 Japanese men around me of whom one might be perfect for my needs, without the bother of language problems or Visas or upsetting mum and dad.

So I'm not saying that women in Japan don't have a choice. If they really have a preference, they'd find a way to enact it, and in saying that, I was actually backing you up.
Right until you accused me of racism, egocentrism and sexist. Oh, and assumed I'm a man (with a strangely girly name? Should have been a hint really, shouldn't it?). Thanks for that.
I didn't accuse you of anything. In fact I pre-empted my statement with the question as to whether or not that was what you were implying and then went on to say that "such attitudes piss me off...."

the rest of your post is not even relevant. I didn't assume you were a man either... Or are you implying that only males can be guilty of sexism?

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 09-15-2009 at 11:12 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-15-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:

I notice your posts in this thread have been reduced to mere cheerleading. How about you answer my questions?

I'll reword them to make them easier to answer shall I?

-Why do you percieve the feminisation of Japanese men to be occuring?
-Why is this a social problem? (as you put it)
(#30 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2009, 01:40 AM

wow 3 page thread cos GTJ didnt know about mens hockey haha.