JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
Japanese Guys Playing Field Hockey... - 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM

I don't want to start a thread about the rapid feminization of Japan's male population (a pretty significant sociological problem right now), but I do want to point a finger at this thing I just saw a few seconds ago on TV and say "wtf?"

Japanese guys play field hockey now.

Now, I'm not up on the sports world or anything, I've only heard of guys playing field hockey as a joke, and they wear the skirts and everything. Do guys really play this previously women-only sport now? (And if so why the hell aren't women playing football on a noticeable level? haha)

Still... seeing these tallish college guys running around hunched over to use the sticks was nothing short of hilarious.

Insights?

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

09-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Japanese guys playing field hockey?! Oh my god! Why would they want to play a game that a long history of men playing it?!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Japanese guys playing field hockey?! Oh my god! Why would they want to play a game that a long history of men playing it?!
Alright, smart guy. I've never seen a guy play it in my entire life. I know some DO, but hell if I know about the "long history" of the sport.

Quote:
I've only heard of guys playing field hockey as a joke, and they wear the skirts and everything.
Doesn't that tell you something? Read before you flame, then at least make sure you're JUSTIFIED in flaming, like how the rest of us do.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#4 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-15-2009, 11:55 AM

i think its only in certain countries where its only the women playing field hockey. kinda like how soccer used to be a girls game in the us.

i know i have come across a tournament being televised, possibly a european thing.

actually after a quick google, its an olympic sport haha.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunker View Post
i think its only in certain countries where its only the women playing field hockey. kinda like how soccer used to be a girls game in the us.

i know i have come across a tournament being televised, possibly a european thing.

actually after a quick google, its an olympic sport haha.
Crazy sauce! Yeah in my country it's only women. Guess we're the exception!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Field hockey isn't Women-only, same as football, isn't exclusively male. That's just a media perception, which should really by now be out-dated but sadly doesn't seem to be. Damned shame because there are men's teams in 'female' sports doing crackingly well and the British Women's football team won the world cup. Not that anyone saw it televised, of course.

That's my take on it. It's not that they've just lately decided that flippy hair and pink sparkles aren't quite girly enough and picked up a sport for the 'ladies', it's just the first time you've ever seen it on TV because it's so rarely publicized.

The hunching is just characteristic of the sport. You're generally not allowed to lift the head of the stick above waist height and the sticks come in sizes to 'fit' to the height of the player's hip. However to get better control, you need to set a hand lower down the stick to control the ball.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
the British Women's football team won the world cup. Not that anyone saw it televised, of course.
Yeah I always wondered why the women's soccer (sorry, football) league in America never got more press. Mia Hamm took off her shirt when they won the world cup and that was the buzz for a few minutes and then nothing.

At least I get to watch women's volleyball and rhythm gymnastics here!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

09-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Alright, smart guy. I've never seen a guy play it in my entire life. I know some DO, but hell if I know about the "long history" of the sport.
You know, you could've just done this before making a thread.

PS: Forgot to add this -
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

09-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
You know, you could've just done this before making a thread.

PS: Forgot to add this -
Hehehe, I always try to be careful to cover my ass before I make threads so nobody swings that wonderful site back at me

Maybe I was too busy taken in by the pretty colors and flashing lights of Japanese TV..

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-15-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
I don't want to start a thread about the rapid feminization of Japan's male population (a pretty significant sociological problem right now),
You don't want to start a thread about it... yet you're willing to put such a controversial statement?

I'll be honest... I am sceptical of such a statement to the point where I think it's bullsh*t off the bat.

I'm not sure if you'll reply to this... you not wanting to talk about it and all... but I want to talk about it because you brought it up.