JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
What the hell... - 09-24-2009, 10:54 PM

As some of you may know..I haven't talked to my dad in over a year..

Some of you also might know that my B-day is in 4 days..

Most of you know about my drinking accident.

Now, today, I get home and see a piece of mail for me, I open it, it's a card.

It has a shot glass on the front and inside it says. "Cake is for wussies. Happy Birthday."

He wrote.

"Hope your doing well
Love you always, Dad.
Call me if you ever need to talk about anything
*his number*"

I really don't know what to think about this..

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Blackmariah (Offline)
Killjoy

09-24-2009, 11:00 PM

I have an idea of how you feel, I haven't talked to my dad in years. Then, last year, he sends me this manuscript that he'd written and a card that says he loves me and I'm a great daughter. The thing is, after that, I haven't heard from him or spoken to him:not for lack of trying. I still don't know how to feel about that.

This is what I thought, I thought you'd need me. This is what I thought, so think me naive. I'd promise you a heart you'd promise to keep. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. AFI- "Prelude 12/21"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Same thing is happening with my girlfriend.

Her estranged father, who she hasn't seen for 8 years, call the other day and is trying to offer her $23,000.

We're going to take it, but it seems a little suspicious.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
hinata2 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to hinata2 Send a message via Yahoo to hinata2
09-24-2009, 11:04 PM

i know how it feels i hate my dad for what he did
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-24-2009, 11:07 PM

As misguided or tasteless and fumbling as it might be, it seems almost like that's a strange attempt at a light, chummy joke. A blokey "man, this is awkward, let's make a joke about it or else this is too heavy" kind of sentiment.

It might be overly optimistic; I don't know as I don't know your situation very well, but I would take the message inside the card with more weight than the printing. After all, one he bought, but the other he wrote himself.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
09-24-2009, 11:07 PM

The thing is..I'm pretty sure nobody has talked to him, let alone about what happened to me.

Burkhardesu, that is really really weird, hopefully it works out fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
As misguided or tasteless and fumbling as it might be, it seems almost like that's a strange attempt at a light, chummy joke. A blokey "man, this is awkward, let's make a joke about it or else this is too heavy" kind of sentiment.

It might be overly optimistic; I don't know as I don't know your situation very well, but I would take the message inside the card with more weight than the printing. After all, one he bought, but the other he wrote himself.
I cracked a smile when I first read it, then remembered that he dosen't/shouldn't know about it..

(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 11:09 PM

What's your drinking accident?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

09-24-2009, 11:11 PM

What was I thinking?

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-24-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
The thing is..I'm pretty sure nobody has talked to him, let alone about what happened to me.

Burkhardesu, that is really really weird, hopefully it works out fine.

I cracked a smile when I first read it, then remembered that he dosen't/shouldn't know about it..
Maybe you should double check then. Someone could have let slip- things can work surprising distances on the grapevine or even perhaps told him outright if it was something very serious and they thought he ought to know. Or it could just be coincidence.

Anyway regardless of the weird card, after a whole year of not talking, sending you his number seems like an offer, and it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of taking it and how genuine you feel it is.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

09-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Maybe you should double check then. Someone could have let slip- things can work surprising distances on the grapevine or even perhaps told him outright if it was something very serious and they thought he ought to know. Or it could just be coincidence.

Anyway regardless of the weird card, after a whole year of not talking, sending you his number seems like an offer, and it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of taking it and how genuine you feel it is.
Yeah..the thing is, I hate him, yet I still love the guy, it's nuts.

I think I'm going to call him tonight..tell him about everything that's been going on..the fact that he can just give me his number shows that he wants to get back on track with me..