JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-30-2009, 01:44 AM

I actually agree with Komitsuki on that last part, either I'm understanding his points better or it's the end days.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-30-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
That's not really the point. The real point is that some (not all) prominent Japanese politicians and activists who over-glorify WWII and the atrocities today. They keep saying things like "the Nanking Massacre didn't exist" or "Korea should ditch its own culture for Japanese" and they should stop doing these kind of activities. They are the ones who keep glorifying this.

If they stopped, Korea and China never have any issues about this in the first place.

Who are you quoting above?
(#33 (permalink))
Old
LightningSaix73 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to LightningSaix73
09-30-2009, 10:46 PM

The past is the past, and the future is still to come. I live in the present, and take note of history and things to come. I live in the present, by my generation, and not the old nor the new.

Be Happy! Be Happy! \( ^_^)/
(#34 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM

I rarely can abide blanket statements, but this one I cannot disagree with. All nations, led by warriors, politicians and the like, have at some time committed atrocities on citizens of other nations in the name of necessity. That does not justify it, but it evens the scores. Many have even committed them against their own people. So set that entire part of the discussion aside.

When it comes to my affinity for other cultures history is background information - what a culture experienced in the past to cause the way the think and fell today. Beyond that it is incidental.

As for how I reconcile aspects of Japanese culture today with premises I disagree with is more to the point. I do not approve of the male dominance that is taken to extremes in many Asian cultures, so I temper my relationships by sharing my views early and accepting that there may be a difference that cannot be overcome. I do not blind myself to the issue, as the typical "Japanophile" is thought to do. We all compromise our stances when what we expect to gain is more important to us than what we expect to sacrifice. Recently I gain a closer friend and respect of those close to him when I agreed to physically suffer through an evening of continuous kowtowing in respect to his family and beliefs. It was my choice and being given that choice to accept or reject an aspect of his culture was more important than the discomfort of that choice.

No one truly accepts everything in their world, foreign or not. We accomodate. There are aspects of Japanese culture that I have adopted as my own, those which I admire but cannot assimilate, those which I respect but disagree with, and those I whole-heartedly disapprove of. What matters is the whole, not the pieces.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-01-2009, 03:08 PM

I have an acquaintance who will not eat in any Vietnamese restaurant because of what the North Vietnamese did to people in the 1960s.

Do you avoid all Japanese products and people because of what was done by their military and government in WWII?

Do you avoid all Chinese food because of Mao Zedong's purges after WWII?

That would be incredibly stupid initially, self-limiting perpetually and would result in even more extensive ignorance on your part.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Right now, I would like to point out that the original thread author has not posted since starting this thread, nor visited since then. This would make this a spectacular troll post, which is exactly what the troll wanted to happen.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
10-01-2009, 03:26 PM

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MC9876 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-01-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
That's not really the point. The real point is that some (not all) prominent Japanese politicians and activists who over-glorify WWII and the atrocities today. They keep saying things like "the Nanking Massacre didn't exist" or "Korea should ditch its own culture for Japanese" and they should stop doing these kind of activities. They are the ones who keep glorifying this.

If they stopped, Korea and China never have any issues about this in the first place.
Sadly, this is quite true. In the musea I've visited in Tokyo, some wars are refered to as ´inciddents´ or 'liberation' (ie the occupation of Indonesia),
But that said, most countries have some form of dark history and tend to cover this is up.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-02-2009, 01:20 AM

Heh, Quailboy; that pic is awsome.

I avoid those warmongering Martians on princible. My avoidance ability is so good, I've yet to meet any Martians.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-15-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Right now, I would like to point out that the original thread author has not posted since starting this thread, nor visited since then. This would make this a spectacular troll post, which is exactly what the troll wanted to happen.
Rigjht now I may point out that you are trolling on maximum threads throughout this forum.

Cheers - Oz
Closed Thread