JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
Pres. Obama and Nobel Peace Prize - 10-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Hello all. As some may know, the President has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Some people are against that. I never thought much of those who did win all these prizes and awards and stuff. It's nice if they did, but it would never bother me.

So, why is this a problem? Why do you feel some people have a problem with his being offered this award?

If you mods don't want this thread here, I understand, so I guess you can just lock it, but I feel that we can constructively discuss this without getting to insulting and disrespectful.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
hippykiller1 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Cause Ghandi never got a Nobel Prize.

You know there are plenty of reasons why but in all seriousness, that 'prize' is such a joke.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-09-2009, 06:37 PM

It's just like people cheering when the US didn't get the Olympics as an "in your face" to Obama without realizing that it was bad for America. That's how much some people hate him. So what you are going to hear is how the prize is a joke, meaningless, etc. to try and diminish its significance.

The correct response when someone wins something as prestigious as the Nobel Peace is "Congratulations." Anything else is sour grapes.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
hippykiller1 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Well, it seems hard to see why Obama. There is the possibility he is might expand the war in Afghanistan and possibly attack Iran. Not very peaceful.

Plus, the date the prize is decided is early in the year; somewhere around the first of Feb. And the announcement is made quite a few months later.

He was in office only a couple weeks when it was decided he would win the prize. You can't accomplish much in two weeks as president.

You should get the prize if you did something.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-09-2009, 06:50 PM

I'd still just say "congratulations" and leave it at that. You know, not give it another thought, but that's just how I am in general when it comes to stuff like that.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JustinATTACK (Offline)
Wtf does *glomps* mean??

Send a message via AIM to JustinATTACK
10-09-2009, 07:12 PM

I feel that it is a disgrace to the people who were given the Nobel and truly deserved it. It makes them look bad. Obama hasn't done anything worthy of the awar, other than being the first black president. If you take that away, his acheivments are pitiful and nonexistent.

"Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard." Miyamoto Musashi
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

10-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinATTACK View Post
I feel that it is a disgrace to the people who were given the Nobel and truly deserved it. It makes them look bad. Obama hasn't done anything worthy of the awar, other than being the first black president. If you take that away, his acheivments are pitiful and nonexistent.
I agree with you to the point of he doesn't truly deserve it. Obama has done a lot in my city (Chicago) and he's done a good job as a senator.

his achievements to a more macro level are not considered "great" but they aren't pityful.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's just like people cheering when the US didn't get the Olympics as an "in your face" to Obama without realizing that it was bad for America. That's how much some people hate him. So what you are going to hear is how the prize is a joke, meaningless, etc. to try and diminish its significance.

The correct response when someone wins something as prestigious as the Nobel Peace is "Congratulations." Anything else is sour grapes.
I'm certain that if a recent pass President was to get the nomination a lot of a certain type of people would be pulling there hair out, and making threats. that said even the people who where awaiting to see who won grasped when they announced Obama had won.

Really? What makes you think we cannot criticize the end/beginning of the award process? I could sum up a good number of scenarios where someone who should not get it, would get it. It's pure puzzlement when someone who been in office for less then 2 weeks gets this when there been people who have been fighting for the same goals (a lot longer then) Obama. It's a question that does he deserve it when he was NOT on the national scene for less then 2 weeks. They say it is to "encourage his progression on issues". When does a award go to "in progress"?

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-09-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

I'm sorry, but only an Obama fanatic would say something like that... Him winning the prize is a joke because he hasn't actually achieved anything yet. Granted there is a lot of hope and he is working towards a lot of things, but so are other people in the world. A prize this prestigious should be held solely for people that have actually achieved some sort of world changing *can't think of the word*...

To be honest, I think the only thing he's achieved for the world right now is that he's helped change a lot of negative stereotypes abroad concerning Americans... You could call that an achievement I guess

EDIT: before you think I'm attacking you for being an Obama fan, I think you should know that I believe that the many of Nobel Peace Prize winners in the past were a joke as well!

Last edited by noodle : 10-09-2009 at 08:30 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

10-09-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
I'm certain that if a recent pass President was to get the nomination a lot of a certain type of people would be pulling there hair out, and making threats. that said even the people who where awaiting to see who won grasped when they announced Obama had won.
I'd still say "congratulations" regardless and then go on about my business.