JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#261 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

10-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Are you saying only 26 percent knew who was the first president? Wow, that one the easiest questions.
(#262 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Are you saying only 26 percent knew who was the first president? Wow, that one the easiest questions.
26% of Arizona high school students. This is not 26% of all Americans.

Most AZ high school students would fail US citizenship test | www.azstarnet.com ®
(#263 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

10-16-2009, 09:30 PM

I only answered 5, one more and I would've pasted the citizen test if I picked those questions.
(#264 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
10-16-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
MMM is right sorry for the confusion SSJup81 and I were talking about an incident that happen a while ago where the Arizona students were tested and these were the results. But if you research a little you can find similar trends in other parts of the country.

i laughed when slightly higher that 50% answered which body of water is off the East coast of the US. Seriously it should be higher much higher.

(#265 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-16-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Yes, my experiences are my own, as are yours. But mine were very different from what you're describing. I had many teachers who voiced their political views in class, even when it wasn't the subject of the class at all... for instance, my computer science teacher was one of the worst, taking anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes(!) each day of a 50 minute class to rant about the latest politics... needless to say, nobody learned a lot about computers in that class. Classes in the liberal arts, especially history, politics, literature, etc had the cover of "this is related to what the class is supposed to be about" and so would spend entire days discussing the teachers' views on politics and issues. And not in a "here's a balanced view of what the left and right each believe", presented in such a non-biased way that the teacher's own views were unknown. In fact, in one Poli-Sci class, the teacher would only give the left-wing view and then would call on me, the only admitted conservative in the class, for the "Republican response". He and I literally had hour long debates in class sometimes! Luckily, most of the teachers I had stopped short of lowering the grade of a conservative (there there were 1 or 2 that did, and I learned to keep my mouth shut in those classes.)
That goes to show what kind of different experiences happen in different parts of the country. Where I live this would have been a local news-worthy scandal if there was even a notion that a students grades were affected by political views. A couple local football coaches were just reprimanded for basically getting in an altercation at a bus stop after a pro hockey game that had nothing to do with the school on a weekend when no students were around. No one was arrested, but still one was fired and another demoted.
(#266 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

10-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
i laughed when slightly higher that 50% answered which body of water is off the East coast of the US. Seriously it should be higher much higher.
I never thought they'd put such easy question in the test. I always thought on the U.S citizenship test you gotta write stuff like the names of all U.S. presidents in chronological order.
(#267 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

10-16-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I never thought they'd put such easy question in the test. I always thought on the U.S citizenship test you gotta write stuff like the names of all U.S. presidents in chronological order.
No its actually pretty easy you dont have remember dates or anything. What i dont like is for those people taking the citizenship test that dont speak or read English a translator is provided for them. That i dont agree with at all if you want to live here and be citizen its should a requirement to learn the language. I would never go live in another country without learning their native language first. oh well but the test itself is pretty easy as you can see.

(#268 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
No its actually pretty easy you dont have remember dates or anything. What i dont like is for those people taking the citizenship test that dont speak or read English a translator is provided for them. That i dont agree with at all if you want to live here and be citizen its should a requirement to learn the language. I would never go live in another country without learning their native language first. oh well but the test itself is pretty easy as you can see.
That would be acceptable if the US had an official language. It doesn't have one!
(#269 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

10-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
That would be acceptable if the US had an official language. It doesn't have one!
which is true however you are taking a taste to become a citizen of a country and instead of reading the test yourself a translator is doing it for you i disagree with it on every level. You are right though if the US would declare an official language thing might change.

(#270 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

10-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
even that would be no big deal.. in second grade we had to memorize them all... can't do it now, but there was a girl i liked in the class, so i managed to be the second to learn them all.. second to her that is.

IamKira