JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

Question Father's Taking Daughters on dates - 10-28-2009, 12:01 PM

When I lived in Japan, I had seen a few family entertainment programmes on the subject of father;s dating their own daughters.

Do you think this is like a bonding type thing or is it more of a fantasy thing for the Father's?

Cheers - Oz
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
When I lived in Japan, I had seen a few family entertainment programmes on the subject of father;s dating their own daughters.

Do you think this is like a bonding type thing or is it more of a fantasy thing for the Father's?
By the sounds of it I'd imagine it to be a bonding excercise, rather than a 'date'. It sounds more like a planned time/event where the two can spend quality time together, in which case 'date' sounds kind of an iffy term to me, lol.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Date is a term used for going out somewhere with the opposite gender, only the two of you. It doesn`t have to have any underlying meaning. Also, the father-daughter date isn`t just a Japan thing. Pretty much all my female friends in the US had "dates" with their dads. Now that I think about it, mother-son dates weren`t all that uncommon either.

I see it as both a bonding experience for the two of them, as I`m willing to bet that dad doesn`t have a chance to spend too much time with his daughter... And as a learning experience for the daughter, so she can see what it`s like to go out to a nice restaurant, etc.

As a child I had several "dates" with uncles and with my grandfather, but nothing EVER was anything above "let`s eat a nice meal, and get to know eachother!" - male relatives are pushed so far away sometimes that it`s hard to get to know them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
onlybyron (Offline)
OMFG FLYING RAPTOR JESUS

Talking 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM

wow when i read the title i was like "WTF" but now that i think about it it is a good idea, unless you mean non-platonic love (if that makes sence) then its wrong.
my dad never did this with any of my sisters. one of my sisters doesnt talk to him XD

now that i think about it my dad has been trying to take me places like the beach but it was also with my brother... it didnt go well, it was raining XDD

LUVS

Kirei na hitomi dane.
風、水、火、土
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Allene7 (Offline)
The Nymphic Ninja

10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post

I definitely think it's a bonding thing. I also think it's a great idea. I was only able to go out with my dad alone when I was younger a handful of times but I had so much fun just spending time with him without my other siblings around. It made me feel very special. My dad also took the opportunity to tell me what kind of things guys should do for me and to tell/show me that I deserved to be treated well. Which I think it's good to know how you should be treated by the opposite sex because it's pretty easy to be walked all over.

So I think the one on one bonding time with dads and daughters, as well as, moms and sons is a wonderful thing to do. Although, I also think it's something that should be done when the kids are young. If you wait until they get too old to do this kind of thing I think you'll only get rebellion, unless you already have a very close relationship with your parents.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
calv930 (Offline)
(´・ω・`)

Send a message via AIM to calv930
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM

This isn't "wrong" in anyway, unless it gets too far...

It's all right for family to be on "dates"(not the love relationship term) because well...it's family.

There are like rumors about incest for Japanese...but there are also in other places of the world.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
10-28-2009, 03:31 PM

My dad is like my best friend. As we are very close, we do indeed go on "dates." It's not some sick, perverted thing like some people would take it as. It's just spending time together. I do the same thing with my mom, it's just called a "Girl's Night Out" then, lol.

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-28-2009, 03:50 PM

Like everyone else who has posted so far, I expect this is a bonding experience. But I had a totally different thought when I saw the thread.

I wonder how many Dad's consider taking their daughters along on dates with women their own age. I really considered asking along the daughter of one man I was dating when we were first getting to know each other. Its a very effective way of keeping things toned way down and assessing how he treats others.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Perhaps you should have watched the show a little more carefully as they explained their reasons.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

10-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Do they kiss on dates too?
Closed Thread