JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
Fat People - 11-22-2009, 07:08 AM

Why do we value there lives as equal to ones of healthy, fit peoples'?

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you

Last edited by Quailboy : 11-22-2009 at 07:24 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

11-22-2009, 07:14 AM

because in today's world we have a support base system where we do not need to value physical fitness much (i.e. we do not depend on hunting and foraging) ... intelligence is what we need (albeit most of the fat people i meet are incredibly stupid... well, most people in general)

don't get me wrong.. i look at fat people and wonder why they don't try to be fit and healthy (it's nice for security reasons)

we have developed tools and sectors of work that help incapable people do the same jobs as those who are fit

IamKira
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-22-2009, 07:31 AM

*Opens up a bottle of rootbeer and makes some popcorn*
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-22-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
because in today's world we have a support base system where we do not need to value physical fitness much (i.e. we do not depend on hunting and foraging) ... intelligence is what we need (albeit most of the fat people i meet are incredibly stupid... well, most people in general)
But you have to wonder as to the real intellectual levels of people who'll let their health slide so steeply...

As for the OP, you seem to have assumed that most people do value them as equals. But, when talking obese, maybe you should have opened making this thread a poll, and asked the questions on real results later on.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-22-2009, 08:22 AM

It seems too typical in America. I haven't seen nearly as many overweight people in any other country.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
webmind (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2009, 10:08 AM

People are living in a modern world where they are judged by a sick standard of being ultra-thin, especially for women. All the so called beauties we see from TV programs, magazines and the internet, etc. in the mainsteam media keep telling us how great it is to look slimmer. Nobody wants to be fat or even gain a little extra weight because they feel they will be judged by others, and unfortunately, they will. The obsession with staying slim is poisoning people's minds and bodies.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmind View Post
People are living in a modern world where they are judged by a sick standard of being ultra-thin, especially for women.
Actually, I think this has been around for the entire of Western history... and most other cultures, too...

Although, I don't like the stick figure super-model look, and I doubt many people outside that world do.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#8 (permalink))
Old
webmind (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Actually, I think this has been around for the entire of Western history... and most other cultures, too...

Although, I don't like the stick figure super-model look, and I doubt many people outside that world do.
Those skiny super models do mislead many women.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post

I don't know, Bottcelli's beauties were famous for being plump. A lot of greek sculpture also features curvy women with love handles. I don't think obese women have ever been considered the height of beauty in western culture, but certainly women who would be considered 'chubby' by today's society have been.

I don't like stick-women as well, and neither do most people I know, but I have met perfectly average girls, otherwise entirely intelligent, who thought that Victoria Beckham (amongst others) was beautiful when she was virtually anorexic and wished to lose weight to be like her.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Most fat people probably have a better grasp of English than you do Perfectly good reason for me to value their lives!
Closed Thread