JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#191 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-16-2009, 03:39 AM

I find it interesting this notion that man not only doesn't affect climate change, but couldn't if they wanted to.

Like I said, fly into LAX on a clear day and look out the window as your plane descends into LA and tell me man has no effect on his environment.
(#192 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-16-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I find it interesting this notion that man not only doesn't affect climate change, but couldn't if they wanted to.

Like I said, fly into LAX on a clear day and look out the window as your plane descends into LA and tell me man has no effect on his environment.
I'm not suggesting we don't effect the environment negatively... I'm all for environmental change, after all I'm the one championing hemp as a biofuel, remember?

But how can we trust data when the media and the scientists involved have a great deal of money tied up in global warming being MAN-made...

Look at all the money involved in the advertising associated with man-made global change, look at all the high budget movies associated with the end of the world!

Isn't it curious that General Electric owns NBC, which is constantly propagating us with "Go Green" advertising? It's not to make the world a better place, it's to disguise us from the real puppeteering at hand.

There's no realistic and sound scientific data that proves man is causing global warming; but they have plenty of reasons to let us believe that's the case. That's not to say we shouldn't research biofuels, the overuse of plastics, and automobile emissions; but as of now there's no proof we're causing the end of the world, and no sense in causing a damn international pandemic.

The 0.7C increase in the average global temperature over the last hundred years is entirely consistent with well-established, long-term, natural climate trends.

Global temperatures have not risen in any statistically-significant sense for 15 years and have actually been falling for nine years. The “Climate-gate” scandal revealed a scientific team had expressed dismay at the fact global warming was contrary to their predictions and admitted their inability to explain it was “a travesty”.

CLIMATE CHANGE IS NATURAL: 100 REASONS WHY

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 12-16-2009 at 04:08 AM.
(#193 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-16-2009, 06:20 AM

This thread seems to be repeating itself a lot...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#194 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

an interesting idea - 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM

not my own. copy@pasta

Over at the New York Times, John Tierney tells climate "sceptics" to put their money where their mouth is and sign on to a carbon tax system where the rate is linked to temperature. If the "sceptics" are right, the rate goes down (actually, it doesn't go up as fast) and if the worshipers of Blessed Gaia are right, the rate goes up (a lot more).

Leaving aside the injustice of such a tax existing at all, I'll take up Mr Tierney's offer, but with a couple of slight modifications. Since Climategate, the Warmenist position is back to square one. Where I would contend that what we are seeing is natural variation until proven otherwise, the worshipers of Blessed Gaia claim something very specific: That computer models have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that

* The Earth is undergoing an unprecedented episode of heating
* That this is due entirely to increases in manmade carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
* That if this heating is left unchecked, it will result in catastrophic changes in the climate
* That the only way to do prevent this, this no possible alternatives, is to curtail manmade carbon dioxide emissions through a very specific political programme of global control, artificial shortages, punative taxes, wealth redistribution, and an overwhelmingly powerful buearucarcy answerable only to an unelected elite
* And that the only authority to question this is through peer reviewed science controlled by warmenist advocates who decide what is peer reviewed.

That being said, the onus of this wager must surely be on those who advocate such a draconian regime, not those who oppose it. So, here is my alternative. First, instead of basing it on equatorial temperatures, it will be global mean temperatures because that is all that matters. Needless to say, this will be determined by means that I regard as reliable, not the likes of the CRU and their ilk. Second, the payoffs will be as follows:

* If the rise in temperature matches the accepted global warming model (there isn't one, by the way), then the carbon tax for that year will be paid in full.
* If the temperature does not change, then the tax will be refunded.
* If the temperature drops, the tax will be refunded ten fold.
* If the temperature rises, but not according to what the model predicts (whether falling short or exceeding) it, then the tax will be refunded one hundred fold.
* All refunds will come solely from funds from past carbon tax collections. No other sources are allowed, nor can collected funds be spent for a period of ten years. If the refunded amounts ever exceeds those collected, the tax will be repealed.
(#195 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-16-2009, 11:22 PM

To those in England, tune into BBC2, an interesting program about Climate Wars, on at 23:20.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#196 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-17-2009, 01:40 AM

Talks at Copenhagen are deadlocked, and there will be no deals of any significance. A few billion dollars will be given to developing countries to squander as they see fit, but that will be the extent of any action.

The protesters in the streets in Copenhagen will scream and yell, but most of them are the usual crowd from the "World Workers Party", who travel around the world demonstrating against capitalism and do nothing else.

There will be no "cap and trade" legislation passed in America. The current economic conditions cannot support it. Mid-term elections are coming up, and now is the time when politicians actually begin to care about what they are doing (superficially, anyway). New taxes cannot be levied when people and companies are barely making enough money to keep their heads above water.

Al Gore will continue his slide into insignificance, hopefully he can sell the majority stock he holds in his "Generation Investments Corportation", which was the carbon-trading company that was poised to make him potentially billions of dollars if cap-and-trade was passed. Al Gore is more of a capitalist than many would believe, but an even less-honest-than-usual one.
(#197 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

12-17-2009, 02:49 AM

Daffy, climate has gone down the last 10 years, that was the big deal with those Emails..They themselves couldn't figure out why earth was getting cooler, so they were forgeing ways around telling anyone that basic fact.

Yes, water shortages in India are due in part to population but also to the fact they have poor resource management. Most rivers there are putrid because the Hindu's burn corpses and dump them in the water. Yes, it's their relgious practice and they are free to do that. However, that's not global warming, and it isn't the US's fault.

The same is in country after country that "claimes" Global warming and the US are to blame for thier own lack of skill in manageing thier own enviroment. I'm sorry but I can't offer much sympathy for that sort of thing. It's like feeling sorry for the Carthagians because the Romans were better at military tactics.
(#198 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

12-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Today President Obama told the delegation in Copenhagen that the US would come up with $100 billion to fight climate change. What he failed to say is that to get this money he will have to get 2/3 of the senate to approve it.

The senate is on the verge of raising the US debt ceiling by a further $290 billion dollars so the government can continue to operate, and President Obama has just promised away more than 1/3 of that amount.
(#199 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM

I think global warming is bs.

The COP15 meeting in CPH is as big a failure as the previous 14 meetings were. The most lame part is that governments all over the world made their populations believe that a reduction in CO2 would 'rescue' our planet. The Danish government spent INCREDIBLE amounts of money hosting all these 'world leaders'. Money that could have been spent on better education for challenged kids who are already lost in the system. Yes, the meeting put Denmark on the map. But so did the Mohammed drawings back then.

If the sun hasn't had any solar surface activities for the past 10 years or so, then I hardly doubt that ANYTHING we do is gonna change that. The sun is said to have entered a slumber-face, meaning it's cutting back on its routines around earth. Reducing CO2 is not gonna change this.

I believe our current situation is just a result of earth climate changing. We've seen it a gazillion times before - last time was in 1700-1800, where we had a minor ice age. Just because our ressources for technology have become more accessable, I highly doubt that the earth will be like 'Oh well, humans caught up now. I might as well stop challenging them'. Bssh, it's time to wake up and realize what's REALLY going on. Nothing is permanent.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#200 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
12-17-2009, 05:22 PM

Global Warming ia real! D:

Besides, we're all going to die in 2012 anyways. =/

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you