JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   dental braces (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/29118-dental-braces.html)

kyo_9 12-04-2009 05:07 PM

dental braces

hmm.. Japanese people are famous for their 'cute' teeth and I wonder why do they won't wear braces~ One of my friends said that the cost of braces here is very expensive.. is that the main reason? :rolleyes:

xyzone 12-04-2009 05:12 PM

I think the new type of braces are cheaper than the metal ones.

MMM 12-04-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 786707)
hmm.. Japanese people are famous for their 'cute' teeth and I wonder why do they won't wear braces~ One of my friends said that the cost of braces here is very expensive.. is that the main reason? :rolleyes:

You are starting to see more and more Japanese wear braces.

This is not an economical issue (they are very expensive in the US, too...I don't know about the rest of the world), but a cultural one.

In the past straight white teeth was not considered a sign of beauty.

Women even painted their teeth black up until the Meiji era.

kyo_9 12-04-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

In the past straight white teeth was not considered a sign of beauty.

Women even painted their teeth black up until the Meiji era.
owh.. is that so??
no wonder their tooth are very unique~ ;P

PockyMePink 12-04-2009 09:48 PM

I thought the Japanese were known for having nasty teeth?
Most Japanese people I've seen (from pics, of which include jrockers, cosplayers, and random people on the street) have pretty horrible teeth. Since when have they been known for cute teeth? =\

xyzone 12-04-2009 11:06 PM

That's pretty harsh, man. Maybe the wives just need to remind the husbands that their children need them. YouTube - Dental Plan.

MilKyXxdreamXx 12-04-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PockyMePink (Post 786750)
I thought the Japanese were known for having nasty teeth?
Since when have they been known for cute teeth? =\

lol. i think he meant 'cute' as a sarcasm. since of course he stated that 'why don't they wear braces'. you should get that point.

sarasi 12-05-2009 02:46 AM

If the person who said "Japanese people are famous for their cute teeth" was being serious, he/she clearly hasn't met many Japanese people. If you spend any time in Japan you will see more cases of extremely crooked/discoloured/decayed teeth here than you will in just about any other developed country. For some reason beautiful teeth just aren't the priority here that they are in other countries.

komitsuki 12-05-2009 02:48 AM

What is the definition of "cute teeth" by the way?

Salvanas 12-05-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 786813)
LOL, aren't you from England? Isn't the "international bad teeth joke" aimed at the English..

Usually, I'd agree. But I've been seeing less and less bad teeth in England.

Maybe because I've been seeing less and less English people, and instead are seeing ethnicities instead, but still :P