LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orewasenshi View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm not Muslim, and I live in the USA. So honestly, STFU.
He meant it in a general way. Don't take it personally.

Quote:
**CHEEKY**
Glad you think so.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#12 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

12-13-2009, 12:18 PM

'She had it coming' is a pretty harsh response right...because most university towns always have people on nights out dressed like that, they do dress up because its fun to look good, go out and dance, and if they think short looks good, Its not my problem. but to say 'they deserved it' goes out and makes it your problem.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#13 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to orewasenshi Send a message via MSN to orewasenshi
12-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

He meant it in a general way. Don't take it personally.
I'm sure he did, Tai, I'm sure he did.

If dressing so your cleavage and butt hang out is looking good, then call me Miles Davis .______.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2009, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough in the first point. I gave the example of Muslim culture to show that there are many different stances on how women are supposed to act in the world. I come from a culture where women are expected to cover up their body - not show cleveage, not show off their curves. I know of other cultures where women are allowed to walk outside topless. I know of other cultures where women are expected to cover their faces.

We say that those teenage girls shouldn't have been dressed that way, but according to who? According to whose culture? If it was according to Muslim culture, then not only was she wrong, but I'm wrong for the way I was dressed as well. According to other cultures, there was nothing wrong with the way she was dressed. To me, this means there isn't one right way for women to dress.

So why do we expect women to dress a certain way? Why do we have such harsh reactions when we think a woman is dressed inappropriately? Why are some women raped and killed, and why do others think, "She had it coming," when it happens?

Because honestly, I've been seeing men topless and in their underwear for all 20 years of my life now, and I have yet to see someone call a man a slut for it.

LOVE: pass it on
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough in the first point. I gave the example of Muslim culture to show that there are many different stances on how women are supposed to act in the world. I come from a culture where women are expected to cover up their body - not show cleveage, not show off their curves. I know of other cultures where women are allowed to walk outside topless. I know of other cultures where women are expected to cover their faces.

We say that those teenage girls shouldn't have been dressed that way, but according to who? According to whose culture? If it was according to Muslim culture, then not only was she wrong, but I'm wrong for the way I was dressed as well. According to other cultures, there was nothing wrong with the way she was dressed. To me, this means there isn't one right way for women to dress.

So why do we expect women to dress a certain way? Why do we have such harsh reactions when we think a woman is dressed inappropriately? Why are some women raped and killed, and why do others think, "She had it coming," when it happens?

Because honestly, I've been seeing men topless and in their underwear for all 20 years of my life now, and I have yet to see someone call a man a slut for it.
Cultures are reference points, not guidelines.

We all have our own cultures, and our own opinions on such things. For some people, it's okay to walk around topless, and full nudity. For others, like me, it's not right.

It's a lack of self respect. And if you lack self-respect, how can you have any respect for others?

As for the sexism point. It's how the world works. Sometimes, women have the upper hand, sometimes men do. Men are called players, when they sleep around a lot. Women are called sluts.

It's the mind set of people. There are many prejudices against men too.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#16 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2009, 12:42 PM

I'm not saying that they have to dress a certain way, I just wish more girls had enough pride in themselves to NOT wear that type of stuff and wear something that's more flattering to their natural features instead of trying to show them off and flaunting them around.

I know the Muslim culture is extremely harsh, trust me, I don't like it either. But honestly, this is America we're talking about, and some other countries as well, but mainly America. American culture is extremely different from Muslin culture.

We have the freedom to wear what we want, but what does that honestly say about you as a person if you wear a mini-skirt and low-cut shirt or go topless in public?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
How old is your wife oz? You said you were 40 something right? Your either going out with a cougar or your doing alright.
I don't have a wife lol..

I did have one, and I believe she is 37, but she was the "cover up" Japan type.

My current partner which we are planning to be as husband and wife, is 36.

She has a great figure and is very sexy

Cheers - Oz
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
._____.

I'm pretty sure I'm not Muslim, and I live in the USA. So honestly, STFU.

I don't care if it's sexy to a man or not, it's wrong to be treated just like a piece of meat half of the time when you're wearing a short skirt or low-cut shirt. Sorry, but I actually have pride in myself and don't want to be labeled as a whore or a slut, thank you very much.

Sorry, but it honestly comes from experience from myself and other people I've been around, and I have highly feminist views.
I would NEVER treat the opposite sex as a "piece of meat".

I have great respect for the female race and was borught up to believe that women should ALWAYS be treated as ladies.

I certainly do not judge a female as "bad" simply because she is over exposed, the same way I wouldn't treat a man who is over exposed, which by the way, most of us are in the Tropics

Cheers - Oz
(#19 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I would NEVER treat the opposite sex as a "piece of meat".

I have great respect for the female race and was borught up to believe that women should ALWAYS be treated as ladies.

I certainly do not judge a female as "bad" simply because she is over exposed, the same way I wouldn't treat a man who is over exposed, which by the way, most of us are in the Tropics
Yeah, but the majority of men do and they show that in the way they act.

It's seen pretty much anywhere unless you're a man with respect.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but the majority of men do and they show that in the way they act.

It's seen pretty much anywhere unless you're a man with respect.
I personally think that you are in never never land.

What makes you think that a "majority" of men treat women as a "piece of meat"?

It's all about RESPECT.

Cheers - Oz