JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Quick question: racist USA stereotypes in Japan? - 12-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm working on a project for class, and I need help! I'm trying to figure out if racist USA stereotypes of Native Americans are popular in Japan. I've seen racist stereotypes of black people, but never of Native Americans... and yet, for my project, I see in the Japanese version of Peter Pan that it's stocked full of racist Native American stereotypes. (For example, "red man.") But, if this stereotype isn't popular in Japan, then how will the Japanese audience understand the "red man" stereotype?

What do you guys think? Is the "red mad" stereotype more understood than I think it is?

And feel free to discuss any other racist USA stereotypes seen in Japan. It's an interesting subject.

LOVE: pass it on
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm working on a project for class, and I need help! I'm trying to figure out if racist USA stereotypes of Native Americans are popular in Japan. I've seen racist stereotypes of black people, but never of Native Americans... and yet, for my project, I see in the Japanese version of Peter Pan that it's stocked full of racist Native American stereotypes. (For example, "red man.") But, if this stereotype isn't popular in Japan, then how will the Japanese audience understand the "red man" stereotype?

What do you guys think? Is the "red mad" stereotype more understood than I think it is?

And feel free to discuss any other racist USA stereotypes seen in Japan. It's an interesting subject.
I think you may be better our projecting on "racist USA stereotypes of Native Americans in America".

Really, I can't imagine why you would be wondering about them in Japan.

Cheers - Oz
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I think you may be better our projecting on "racist USA stereotypes of Native Americans in America".

Really, I can't imagine why you would be wondering about them in Japan.
I disagree. I think it's an interesting fact that Disney is international, meaning that its films are spreading worldwide - meaning that its racist ideas and negative stereotypes are also spreading worldwide. In a country like Japan, where there aren't many people of different ethnicities to prove otherwise, it's quite easy for a child here to watch Peter Pan and believe that Native Americans are "red because they once kissed a maid, and never stopped blushing since."

We're in an international community now, thanks to the media and the Internet. I think it's silly to say, "This is an American issue, and therefore it stops mattering outside of America."

(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I disagree. I think it's an interesting fact that Disney is international, meaning that its films are spreading worldwide - meaning that its racist ideas and negative stereotypes are also spreading worldwide. In a country like Japan, where there aren't many people of different ethnicities to prove otherwise, it's quite easy for a child here to watch Peter Pan and believe that Native Americans are "red because they once kissed a maid, and never stopped blushing since."

We're in an international community now, thanks to the media and the Internet. I think it's silly to say, "This is an American issue, and therefore it stops mattering outside of America."

I honestly dodn't think minds go any further thatn a red Peter Pan are a Walt Disney attraction.

As far as racism goes, I am sure Japan would be on the side of the natives, afterall, America is not the most popular place in Japan.

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Japanese would take the side of tha natives.

I'm really not sure how racist American's actually are, but all I can say is where I am, having creeks named "Black Fellow" and "Chinaman", has certainly caused many a media debate.

Sorry love, I'm in Australia..

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-14-2009, 11:51 AM

I think you should stop having a fetish about racism and move on with your life.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I think you should stop having a fetish about racism and move on with your life.
What are your neighbourhood "gang wars" all about?

Cheers - Oz
(#8 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Can it be "racist Japan" if it's created by Disney? Shouldn't it only count (the "racism") if it was in something that was thought up and created by someone Japanese? I duno don't listen to me I am not smart.
That's an interesting point. But, I personally don't think it should only count as racist if someone has thought it up themselves. Racist ideas have been spread through generations, and a mother might tell a son, "Asian people are bad." The son, an innocent young boy, didn't think of the idea himself. Yet, he was raised to think that Asian people are bad. In the end, it's his idea as well, making him racist also.

I think it's the same idea with showing negative stereotypes through the media. Not to compare an entire developed society with children, but if a person is shown negative stereotypical imagery, then that person will most likely begin to keep that image in mind and begin to believe it, especially in a country where there generally isn't anyone of the ethnicity to prove otherwise.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I think you should do something with your life other than trying to start petty arguments on the Internet. Unless you'd like to try using your brain and actually coming up with an intelligent answer to one of my questions for once.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but good Lord am I ever tired of having Internet stalkers who don't have anything useful to say. I'm trying to learn. And you? You, unfortunately, remind me of kids in classrooms who have such low self esteem that they do nothing but mutter about how stupid everyone else is while you yourself are getting a failing grade.

WHEW. Felt good to type that out. But still, maybe not worth getting upset over. I'd forgotten why I'd gone on hiatus.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I think you should do something with your life other than trying to start petty arguments on the Internet. Unless you'd like to try using your brain and actually coming up with an intelligent answer to one of my questions for once.
You have my FULL approval!

I do not think this kid is able to be a normal participant as his signature shows.

I am VERY suprised that he is allowed to flourish here.

Cheers - Oz