(#12 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to orewasenshi Send a message via MSN to orewasenshi
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
This isn't wholly directed at you, but all 'smart women' are aggressive career harpies? Oh COME ON. Because a housewife or a mother can't ~possibly~ have qualifications or an iota of intelligence?

*derisive snort* That's complete bull. My great aunt was a ferociously intelligent woman and she spent most of her working life as a nanny. The best 'qualification' she had was a talent for calming colicky babies and washing nappies till they shone and yet make no mistake, she was an incredibly bright, independent woman with one hell of a memory. She had to be to deal with the kind of people who employed her and the kind of events they liked to put on.

Anyway, I agree with Nyororin. Smart women have wider experience to draw from when times get difficult, or can ease the difficulties by providing resources that uneducated women can't, such as a second income. They're also more capable of taking on some of the brunt of heavy decision making and managing themselves, so they have better coping strategies in general.

Additionally, I find this study a bit suspect. Surely educated women are also more inclined to be pickier about their standards? Smart women don't tend to want to marry thick men so it could be simply that the men smart women are married to are predisposed to live longer already, on their own merits.
I think you took this a little too personally, to be honest.

And the question was directed at the people viewing this thread, because he asked if we agreed with it or not.

*hides behind a shield and awaits the second bombing raid*
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-13-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The thing is - intelligence isn`t "education". One can be intelligent without education, and vice versa. I assume this study isn`t referring to the actual IQ of the women, but rather how much education they have had.

I do agree that education does not mean that the woman has to be a work crazed anti-social rock. :P I am educated and believe myself to be quite intelligent, but I am not and have no interest in working at the moment... Even when I was, it was a means to get money and nothing more.

You`re right - that is something I didn`t really think about. A more educated woman has a lot more to base her choices of a partner on, and is likely to make a better choice...
Exactly, which is why it seems so bogus to me. As you say, a person can go through university with a degree and still come out dumb as a butt or else too emotionally wrecked to be a helpful life partner, male or female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orewasenshi View Post
I think you took this a little too personally, to be honest.

And the question was directed at the people viewing this thread, because he asked if we agreed with it or not.

*hides behind a shield and awaits the second bombing raid*
Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was getting at you specifically. I wasn't really, it was just your quote defined what I wanted to reply to. I just find this whole assumption that smart women = educated women = bloodless stick women in suits with the personality of clawing menaces vs. blonde page-3 bimbos to be utterly stereotypical and divorced from reality.

But really I neither disagree nor agree. Smart people probably DO live healthier lives, which would help them live longer, but I don't think it is the choice in a smart wife over a dumb wife per se that causes this. Without seeing the actual article, there's a lot of holes in the premise of the research and it doesn't stand up to scrutiny given the information given in the thread.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MilKyXxdreamXx (Offline)
JF Regular

12-16-2009, 07:44 PM

i don't believe its at all true. but somehow, it does seem fair to say that when men married smart women, they would tend to live a healthier life by their lifestyles and lesser situations.

this will lead them to a healthier lifestyle and have a better living age; since the women usually will not want to end up in a divorce or will allow their partner to.

but i doubt that not all couples would live long or would be in these types of situations, even if the women is smart. just the majority.

让人笑。让人哭。 让人开心。让人生气。 让人希望。让人期盼。。
都是什么意思在心中 ~
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
12-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Although I do find this fascinating i dont think it really matters. Its not how long you live its the quality of the life you live. I dont how much i would trust this there are a lot of factors that determine how long a person lives. But interesting nonetheless.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
12-17-2009, 12:48 AM

Well, if my girl was stupid as eff and I already hitched her - yeah I guess I'd decide to die out faster. But why would anyone marry someone stupid in the first place?

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast