JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
steve88 (Offline)
New to JF

Men Married to Smart Women Live Longer - 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM

A study has determined that for men, long life and good health have nothing to do with the man’s education and everything to do with his wife’s. Men married to smart women live longer.
The effect may relate to skill at processing advice about healthy lifestyles, and passing it on -- educated married women are more likely to share their good lifestyle habits.
These habits could include healthy food choice, exercise routines, and risk-avoidance

Do you agree?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post

Do you agree?
I can't see why I would agree, afterall, I find many more educated women rather boring with bad tempers.

I'd much prefer to enjoy a partner with no formal qualifications who is fun and sarcastic, and sexy to boot

Cheers - Oz
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
A study has determined that for men, long life and good health have nothing to do with the man’s education and everything to do with his wife’s. Men married to smart women live longer.
The effect may relate to skill at processing advice about healthy lifestyles, and passing it on -- educated married women are more likely to share their good lifestyle habits.
These habits could include healthy food choice, exercise routines, and risk-avoidance

Do you agree?
I agree.

Educated women seem to be less whiny since they are busy with work the majority of the time. And so, the man lives longer.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-13-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
I want to see your wife. She sounds great.
he's to young to be married

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Partner*

If it's aimed at me, you can have her. She's an ex now anyways, and she worked non-stop :P

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#6 (permalink))
Old
orewasenshi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to orewasenshi Send a message via MSN to orewasenshi
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM

I can agree with this, for the most part.

Smart women can be workaholics, therefore lacking social skills. I think a woman should have the right amount of education in what field she wants to work in and have personality. It's hard being married to a rock, if you get the metaphor xD
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Or it could be related to less stress, as a woman who is educated is more likely to know how the world works and have work experience - so be more understanding of her partner`s problems and concerns.
I have known a few couples where the wife lacks any higher education, and there tends to be a lot less understanding between the wife and husband due to 1) a general lack of knowledge 2) more demands without comprehension of what they entail and 3) less willingness to talk because there is little overlap of interests and knowledge.

I don`t really know how this would change when the husband ALSO has little to no education though... It seems it would even out.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orewasenshi View Post
I can agree with this, for the most part.

Smart women can be workaholics, therefore lacking social skills.
This isn't wholly directed at you, but all 'smart women' are aggressive career harpies? Oh COME ON. Because a housewife or a mother can't ~possibly~ have qualifications or an iota of intelligence?

*derisive snort* That's complete bull. My great aunt was a ferociously intelligent woman and she spent most of her working life as a nanny. The best 'qualification' she had was a talent for calming colicky babies and washing nappies till they shone and yet make no mistake, she was an incredibly bright, independent woman with one hell of a memory. She had to be to deal with the kind of people who employed her and the kind of events they liked to put on.

Anyway, I agree with Nyororin. Smart women have wider experience to draw from when times get difficult, or can ease the difficulties by providing resources that uneducated women can't, such as a second income. They're also more capable of taking on some of the brunt of heavy decision making and managing themselves, so they have better coping strategies in general.

Additionally, I find this study a bit suspect. Surely educated women are also more inclined to be pickier about their standards? Smart women don't tend to want to marry thick men so it could be simply that the men smart women are married to are predisposed to live longer already, on their own merits.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
My great aunt was a ferociously intelligent woman and she spent most of her working life as a nanny. The best 'qualification' she had was a talent for calming colicky babies and washing nappies till they shone and yet make no mistake, she was an incredibly bright, independent woman with one hell of a memory. She had to be to deal with the kind of people who employed her and the kind of events they liked to put on.
The thing is - intelligence isn`t "education". One can be intelligent without education, and vice versa. I assume this study isn`t referring to the actual IQ of the women, but rather how much education they have had.

I do agree that education does not mean that the woman has to be a work crazed anti-social rock. :P I am educated and believe myself to be quite intelligent, but I am not and have no interest in working at the moment... Even when I was, it was a means to get money and nothing more.

Quote:
Additionally, I find this study a bit suspect. Surely educated women are also more inclined to be pickier about their standards? Smart women don't tend to want to marry thick men so it could be simply that the men smart women are married to are predisposed to live longer already, on their own merits.
You`re right - that is something I didn`t really think about. A more educated woman has a lot more to base her choices of a partner on, and is likely to make a better choice...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2009, 03:31 PM

I once had a really stupid, uneducated girlfriend (she was hot!) and thought "Great! She will listen to my opinion because I am smarter" (I was young at the time). Anyway, I found the opposite to be true. She thought she was smarter and was very bossy to boot. I dumped her very soon after I realized that dating stupid people was a losing battle. So I agree with this study, but agree that there needs to be some excitement and being attractive adds to it.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!