LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-15-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Whilst I believe "racism" is so connected to ignorance and non experience, I believe it is actually the native people's of countries who are the racists.

The majority of them have good reasons.

Look at the American Indians. Look at the Australian Aboriginies. Look at the Japanese Ainu. Look at the Amzon Tribes.

They all lived within their homelands and cultures until white man came to lay down their new laws and slaughter them.

Is white man really to blame?
Wait, sorry? What? Are you seriously saying that American-Indians, Aborigines, Ainu and amazonian tribes were all racists and thus the 'white man' was therefore justified in blasting through, spreading sickness and taking over, wiping out their cultures, and the natives somehow deserved it? Because that's how your post reads right now.

Also, picky picky, but 'white man' didn't do anything monumental to the Ainu, that was mostly other asians.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-15-2009, 03:57 AM

Here we go again!

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-15-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Wait, sorry? What? Are you seriously saying that American-Indians, Aborigines, Ainu and amazonian tribes were all racists and thus the 'white man' was therefore justified in blasting through, spreading sickness and taking over, wiping out their cultures, and the natives somehow deserved it? Because that's how your post reads right now.

Also, picky picky, but 'white man' didn't do anything monumental to the Ainu, that was mostly other asians.
What I am saying is that when the British landed in Australia, it was the Australian aboriginies land.

Aboriginies were slaughtered, made prisoners in their own countries, and children were taken from their parents..

Now can you imagine why Aboriginies would be racist against white man?

I am guessing similar or different stories to other natives feelings around the globe.

Cheers - Oz
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-15-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm working on a project for class, and I need help! I'm trying to figure out if racist USA stereotypes of Native Americans are popular in Japan. I've seen racist stereotypes of black people, but never of Native Americans... and yet, for my project, I see in the Japanese version of Peter Pan that it's stocked full of racist Native American stereotypes. (For example, "red man.") But, if this stereotype isn't popular in Japan, then how will the Japanese audience understand the "red man" stereotype?

What do you guys think? Is the "red mad" stereotype more understood than I think it is?

And feel free to discuss any other racist USA stereotypes seen in Japan. It's an interesting subject.
The Japanese generally have enough information to have an educated opinion about Native Americans as American people have to have an educated opinion about the Burakumin in Japan.

Either group might as well live on Mars.

It is like asking what do Americans think of Osaka Okonomiyaki vs. Hiroshima Okonomiyaki.

There is no context, so there is no educated opinion.

What do Japanese think of Native Americans?

Probably as much as Americas think of Ainu.

"Who is that? How does it affect me? Why should I care?"

It's a noble project but a lost cause. It is very difficult to make people care about people out of their sphere of existence.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Indeed. HOW would they know??? (get it?)
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

12-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that when the British landed in Australia, it was the Australian aboriginies land.

Aboriginies were slaughtered, made prisoners in their own countries, and children were taken from their parents..

I am guessing similar or different stories to other natives feelings around the globe.
Ok, that's what I hoped you had meant, and I agree, such people have a lot of understandable reason to hold hatred towards people who caused them such grief. On the other hand, it doesn't really make anything better for anyone, and racism no matter how 'justified' shouldn't really be tolerated.

There were two interesting case in the newspaper just today actually; a town in Britain was thinking of twinning with a town in Okayama, but have had to (as yet, unofficially) withdraw from the idea when a lot of their elderly parishioners objected, saying it was 'too soon after the war'. The Japanese were frankly baffled by this, and a little disappointed. I can perhaps understand their point, it is still within living memory but it seems something of a shame to me that we might have to wait another 30 years before we can make such steps towards closer friendly international relations.

The other was a segment which mentioned inter-ethnic minority racism riots earlier this year in PNG, which was interesting. Certainly it examples how racism isn't always related to skin colour and that minorities can be just as awful to other minorities.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-15-2009, 03:31 PM

I do not understand what could possibly be racist about Indians... please enlighten...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yes. Aboriginies also thought that the Chinese people tasted best, so they ate them most. There were actually a lot of Chinese in Australia back then, but the aboriginies did thin out the numbers, somewhat, with their appetite and all!

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
To be honest, I would have thought the question; "How does the personality of the older generation affect racism in children?" would have been more apt for your project.
That would have been a far better theme and one that needs to be examined far more often than it is.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Yes. Aboriginies also thought that the Chinese people tasted best, so they ate them most. There were actually a lot of Chinese in Australia back then, but the aboriginies did thin out the numbers, somewhat, with their appetite and all!
I man has to feed himself you know.

Cheers - Oz