(#11 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My sense is if you are not going to see it in a theater and in 3-D, I would probably skip it altogether.

It's the difference between riding on a roller coaster or watching a video of someone riding on a roller coaster.
I can only surmise from having seen the trailers in the theatre and then on TV, but that was exactly how it seemed to me.

But then I kinda reached peak boredom with blue, green, purple, whatever odd color humanoid the most recent movie alien comes in way back when Shatner was lusting after the vivid green female alien tha we could only see in black & white at the time.

And Cameron pales as a director long ago..... Titanic seems to have been his artistic last gasp.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-21-2009, 03:05 PM

i dunno,
i see it as a loud, spectacual action adventure.

looking at the trailer it looks exactly that.

of course the film is going to be predictable, its a holywood film after all
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MoshixMoshi (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MoshixMoshi Send a message via Yahoo to MoshixMoshi
12-21-2009, 08:14 PM

I've seen Avatar in 3-D and I thought it was
1.) Predictable but it still caught me up in the moment. I caught myself digging my fingers into my palm in anticipation more than once. I wanted to cry out at some points even.
2.) Hardcore eye candy! I am a sucker for graphics...scratch that I'm a massive sucker for graphics. I won't even look twice at an anime if I don't like the art for it. Avatar achieved greatness in this area. It was a buffet of color and glory. I will agree with MMM though when you were definitely reminded it was fake when the real humans were interacting with the cgi...It probably could've been done better.
3.) If I were to have seen it in 2-D I would not be as interested...sadly enough. They didn't even utilize enough of the 3-D aspect in my opinion. They left so many things, that could've been eye-popping, out.

The end result is that I love the movie reguardless. I really felt for the characters and I loved the take on the humanoid aliens. No more green and all creepy, huge-eyed, things... THANK GOD. This fits into the visual appeal I was talking about too. Me=sucker.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kyousuke (Offline)
Seiryuu

12-21-2009, 09:49 PM

I enjoyed it. it was really good. most movies you see fail to explain alot of things but this one didn't. i don't really know if it moved slow, i was too much into it. it was predictable, but thats only because every movie made is predictable, except for a couple of movies i've seen.but he did a good job with this one.

"Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - colonel sanders
(#15 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2009, 02:26 AM

The general image (not going to any detail) of this movie could be summed up like this.

Herbert's Dune + Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri + Verhoeven's Starship Trooper + De Palma's Mission to Mars + Kroyer's FernGully

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-22-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My sense is if you are not going to see it in a theater and in 3-D, I would probably skip it altogether.
This.

Being someone who largely detests 3D (headache from wearing the glasses and straining my eyes), this truly is worth seeing if only for that. It's phenomenal. (I saw it in IMAX 3D).

Otherwise, this movie is easily a pass. It's pretty much Dances with Smurfs. The characters are hardly likable, the plot more predictable than a romantic comedy, cheesy & poorly written dialogue, heavy-handed anti-war/nature themes, and a ridiculously long running time. If only James Cameron had spent as much time on the script as he did on the effects. There is absolutely no subtlety whatsoever.

If you're not into 3D, I'd recommend not seeing this movie. There are countless movies that use this exact plot and execute it much better.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Naruto911 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Well, I thought that it was so awesome!!!
Yes the graphics were like the best, so were the colors were and interaction with different things. I thought it was pretty darn creative. And the fact that humans were involved with the unrealistic world, it just made me feel as though I could jump in and let loose. And to me it was 3D enough even in 2D, everything still seemed to pop. &

"You made it rain 1,000 needles? Now, I'm going to make it rain blood."
-Gaara
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Liongale (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Liongale Send a message via MSN to Liongale
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM

I was already pre-ruined for this movie for 2 reasons. One being an Avatar: The Airbender fan, and hearing they couldn't title their movie with 'Avatar cos' of this movie.

The second reason is this movie kept pushing even before they were anywhere near done that this would be the best movie I ever saw, and how it would change moviemaking forever... those are kind of statements that should be made after a movie is shown and accepted, not during development!

However, I will admit, they did a fantastic job. But still deep down I hate it, because the ego behind this movie leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather have another Aliens movie, personally.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-22-2009, 09:16 PM

The graphics are amazing in the movie. You are really robbing yourself if you dont see it in 3d. The story was not groundbreaking, but it was good. It was similar to other movies as far as stories go. But to say it was a copy of any other movie is pretty ridiculous. You could say any movie copies from other movies. Go see it and decide for yourself.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

12-29-2009, 02:25 AM

I watched it Christmas day with the family.

These days, I scrutinize how the story is delivered more than what the story is about... because, in my opinion, any legitimate story can be amazing with a good story-telling technique. And Avatar is no exception. It did a considerably good job of immersing the audience into its world. The wildlife, people, and landscapes made many references to the real world, and that helped shape an attachment to the storyline.

Although its philosophical value was shallow to a degree, I think it was effective at stimulating the mind. And that's what caught a lot of people's attention. What it lacks in epiphanic depth it makes up for in appealing presentation and concept.

All the public hype initially made me wary, but I ended up enjoying it.
It was a beautiful movie -- both technically and artistically.

[SPOILER BELOW]

With all that said, I did have one notable problem with the movie... and that was when Grace died.
I feel I didn't care as much as I probably should have.

I was more affected when the soldier chick died... and I don't even remember her name. lol