JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Avatar has been billed as the Greatest Adventure Ever Told.

Though I think the Greatest CG Ever Seen might be a better description. The CG is certainly impressive and quite crisp. The way the CG characters interacted with each other is pretty incredible.

What is less incredible is when real humans interact with the CG creatures. It is then, especially, one is reminded this is a CG movie.

It is an impressive movie, and I think it has raised the bar (for anyone with a 300 million dollar budget for a movie) but at 2 hours and 45 minutes, it moves way too slow and explains every single thing over so even a baby can understand. Plot turns are telegraphed so far in advance the story tells itself long before it is over.

Many people I know can talk enough about how amazing this movie is, so maybe I shorted myself in seeing it in 2-D.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
12-20-2009, 10:16 PM

I heard it was amazing, but I have no motivation to see anything in 3-D
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-20-2009, 10:17 PM

I don't really care for it except maybe as a rental. A lot of other CG movies have been done well, like sky captain and world of tomorrow. Should be a fine movie but the theme doesn't really interest me right now.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

12-20-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
I don't really care for it except maybe as a rental. A lot of other CG movies have been done well, like sky captain and world of tomorrow. Should be a fine movie but the theme doesn't really interest me right now.
This.

And i had to wait like half an hour to get in my town's cinema just because of it. And i didnt even bought the tickets to see that one. (I saw ÀgOra)

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

12-21-2009, 12:25 AM

Alot of my friends are saying that it is the greatest movie ever but i think that they are getting caught up in the visuals and ignoring the story which is un-original and yes mmm i could tell the ending within the first 10-20 minutes.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-21-2009, 09:37 AM

I'll watch the movie, but not in 3-D. I think 3-D is more for children. I don't appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes on DVD release.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-21-2009, 09:43 AM

My sense is if you are not going to see it in a theater and in 3-D, I would probably skip it altogether.

It's the difference between riding on a roller coaster or watching a video of someone riding on a roller coaster.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Well, the critics are praising it a lot. Maybe there's more to it than just newest CGI.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Transformers, Star Trek, Avatar and whatever else is coming out of hollywood these days sucks.

Except, The greatest movie ever created in recent times, Inglorious Bastards - BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!
That's just your opinion. Inglorious Basterds is a movie only for Tarantino fans. It has no meaninful plot, just nice dialogues and some fantasy of Tarantino. Nothing special. It's a decent movie and has a lot of jewish propaganda.

Now, Transformers is a great movie, the 1st was. The 2nd did get a bit worse because of the high demand of CGI and special effects. It actually wasa masterpiece of CGI. The story wasn't anything good because it's not part of the main storyline. Just wait for the new Transformer movies which include Unicron Battles, those are the real shit. They will need a lot more budget than Avatar for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
My sense is if you are not going to see it in a theater and in 3-D, I would probably skip it altogether.

It's the difference between riding on a roller coaster or watching a video of someone riding on a roller coaster.
3D movies look odd on 2D, give you some sort of awkward feeling. I still prefer 2D over 3D though.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-21-2009, 02:49 PM

im gonna see it at the IMAX - 20-26 meter screen full 3d with a couple of thousand watt soundsystem - and im gonna be a little wasted too, to make sure its more imersive

get in

can't wait!