JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
IN the process of Creating a Japanese style website. - 12-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Hey all, Just throwing this out there as an idea and as a means of help..

I have the midnset right now to create an amazing website and I have the ideas and layouts in mind....

I was wondering about some things though

1. Can I create a video site ( Youtube-esque) for $100?
2. How much is it for a domain name?
3. Do I have to buy space for a server?
4. What if I only want to use about 50GB worth of video? Is that alot?
5. If I want to encorporate a login for users and what not to leave comments will that cost more?
6. Even though this is a Hip-Hop site. I basically want it LIKE THIS to the T ( Worldstarhiphop.com )
7. My main concerns are these things, I definatly know that once I get the internet stuff figured out the site will be amazing.
8. So to break it down, Can I get a Domain/Server/User Logins for $100?
9. I dont want to say much about the site as of now but the questions above would greatly help if answered.

THANKS!!!

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#2 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2009, 07:41 PM

Are you coding this site yourself or getting a company to do it?

If you are doing it by yourself you need to pay for a server and bandwidth.
Assuming you are good enough to write a site like this the only other cost is your personal time.
(Although since you are asking these questions I assume you do not have experience in doing this stuff yourself)

If you are paying a company you need to pay for everything they do too, which they will dictate prices on, so no one can tell you how much that will cost other than the company themselves.

In short $100 will not really get you anywhere.

(By the way, didn't you resign from this site the other day? lol)

Last edited by yuriyuri : 12-25-2009 at 07:43 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-25-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaCrisis View Post
2. How much is it for a domain name?
Depends totally on the domain you want, how popular this name will be etc.
it will be x/month though not a one off payment.
Quote:
3. Do I have to buy space for a server?
4. What if I only want to use about 50GB worth of video? Is that alot?
yes and as above it will be x/month, and price varies a lot depending how much space you will need, and it is not how much you will store, but more how much bandwidth, so if 10 people visit and watch 50GB worth of videos that is 500GB, you can see this getting VERY expensive VERY fast
Quote:
5. If I want to encorporate a login for users and what not to leave comments will that cost more?
nope most servers/hosts you pay for will fully support php which is all you need to do this, however to do it secure and well, will take quite a bit of scripting knowledge, and it seems from your post you are pretty new to how web sites work, so I'd guess you would pay someone else for this, this would totally depend on how thier charging system works. I would take a guess at the better a login system, the more features you want, commenting (would have to be supported by back up databases etc) the more cost you are going to occur.
Quote:
6. Even though this is a Hip-Hop site. I basically want it LIKE THIS to the T ( Worldstarhiphop.com )
7. My main concerns are these things, I definatly know that once I get the internet stuff figured out the site will be amazing.
8. So to break it down, Can I get a Domain/Server/User Logins for $100?
9. I dont want to say much about the site as of now but the questions above would greatly help if answered.

THANKS!!!
8. Pretty much if you learn to script it yourself you could just about get it started for that, but after just a couple of visitors you would be outta money for bandwidth.
7. Um I hope you are being flippant because "figuring out the internet stuff" is years of study to make a good site. Video sites need revenue to support.

Also please don't make a site like that link, it isn't good web design at all.

I can teach you how to make a very basic and kinda insecure php login script if you want to see the kinda level of scripting that takes.

Last edited by princessmarisa : 12-25-2009 at 10:41 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-26-2009, 02:13 AM

You know, Googling this would have been much easier and faster.

Just sayin