(#21 (permalink))
Old
TheDarkOne (Offline)
New to JF

12-28-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If anything it will get worse.

It may seem scary, but what is scarier is being hospitalized because you are unhealthy and underweight. Best to attack the problem ASAP.

Let us know how it goes.

Alright, I'm going to do that. Thank you very much.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
I think I will. It probably will never fix itself on it's own.
If it's okay to ask, what brought on the self image problem? As a person who hasn't seen 100lbs since she was about 10 years old (I was about 5'2 then), I can't fully understand it. Maybe if you can pinpoint that problem, you can start the process of healing, so to speak.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
TheDarkOne (Offline)
New to JF

12-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
If it's okay to ask, what brought on the self image problem? As a person who hasn't seen 100lbs since she was about 10 years old (I was about 5'2 then), I can't fully understand it. Maybe if you can pinpoint that problem, you can start the process of healing, so to speak.
To be honest, when I was about 11 or 12 I weighed about 104. I was the same height that I am now. But I went to my grandparents house, and the first thing my grandpa said to me was, "Wow, you're sure getting a gut, aren't you?". My dad was right there and he just laughed. I really didn't find this funny at all.

I think it was about that time I started considering losing weight. Before that I really didn't care, I was just enjoying being a kid.

Could that have started it?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
No, not for the specifically. No one has ever really made any mention toward my weight when I do go get checked. Perhaps I should find a different doctor.
No, all doctors have a prespective that would catch their attention to your being underweight, unless you mentioned another problem that could be related, or that your self image was that you were fat. Unless there is another reason to switch doctors, I would simply ask specific questions and you may find your current doctor is just the help you need. Or if they seem to casually dismiss your concerns without explanation, then go find another.

My instinct says that if you are already questioning your perception, then you are ready to deal with whether it needs any adjustment. But as for family remarks, sometimes those are the worst sources for self image - no matter how they are intended.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
No, not for the specifically. No one has ever really made any mention toward my weight when I do go get checked. Perhaps I should find a different doctor.
Not too sure what country you're in, but here in the UK it seems a lot of the time that when you have a check-up that as long as you're generally healthy and nod your head when they talk about weight they send you on your way. Unless you're dangerously thin I haven't seen many doctors assume an eating disorder is an issue, when a lot of the time it is. I've got a rather bad BMI and yet not one doctor's mentioned it, some even said it was a good thing despite being at around 16.5.

Anyways - it might not be your doctor per se, it might be just that they haven't considered the fact it could be a eating disorder. I'm sure if you specifically go in and ask them, explaining the issue, it will click with them and they'll make an effort to help you If they still don't then see someone else. I really do wish you the best though.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-28-2009, 11:19 PM

Because of the sensitivity of the issue, especially for girls your age, a doctor will not likely volunteer an opinion unless he thought you were seriously underweight. Make an appointment to talk with him specifically about what you mentioned here. If he can't help you himself, then he will be able to recommend someone specially trained in what you are going through.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-29-2009, 12:51 AM

Oh cool, me and the OP weigh the same *highfive*

Not sure what to add to any of this. No one has ever considered my weight a real problem, and neither have I.

I wish you the best though
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
Oh cool, me and the OP weigh the same *highfive*

Not sure what to add to any of this. No one has ever considered my weight a real problem, and neither have I.

I wish you the best though
It's not the weight as much as her self image. Simply putting on weight is just a bandage. I think she needs to work through working on feeling good about herself. Only then will the problem be really confronted.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-29-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's not the weight as much as her self image. Simply putting on weight is just a bandage. I think she needs to work through working on feeling good about herself. Only then will the problem be really confronted.
I never said Weight > Self Image, and although I disagree with your "weight is a bandage" statement, what you said is very much common sense
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
I never said Weight > Self Image, and although I disagree with your "weight is a bandage" statement, what you said is very much common sense
I didn't say you said that.

Gaining weight if one is at an unhealthy level helps, but if someone feels "fat" when she is clearly underweight then there is a deeper problem that needs to be addressed.