JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Texas and Seattle are well done, but Brooklyn has little authenticity. It sounds more cockney than NY to me.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonchua (Offline)
JF Regular

12-29-2009, 10:20 AM

English spoken by a French woman
(#3 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

12-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Her Scottish accent was a little weird..or maybe its just because I don't speak with that strong an accent.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Wow, I wish I could immitate accents like that... She's got a talent, but I think some of them don't sound right...

My fave accent of all time is Scotish! Not necessarily the one she done though! and I hate the French accent for English... they slaughter the language and I have to listen to it almost everyday
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM

My language skills first took hold in Cambridgeshire, UK. and when I am around certain accents they become mine without or without my consent, but I have a good ear for them usually. Some of the ones in the video are good, but a few were WAY off the mark to anyone who knows them beyond a theatrical performance.

The first two British were the close to my own British mix.
The Scottish was way off from mine, but mine has a back-country thick brogue to it and is probably tainted with the Cambridge abit. I have to agree with Claire, this one is a bit strange but some of the strange quirks still sound oddly familiar (maybe from my Edinburough landlady - hers was an odd mix of Scot and Brit and soft like this one).
The Russian sounds nothing like the natives I have known - theatrical version. Same for the French. My own French accent has been corrupted over the years, but that one would make my native teachers cringe.

The Texan, Brooklyn and South Carolinan were awful!!! While the accents vary between Del Rio, Amarillo, Dallas and Houston, NONE of them sound like that. She needs to watch better movies if she doesn't have a native to listen to!

And the Brooklyn accent, which is one I have to work hard to get rid off after visiting friends there, was unrecognizable.

The South Carolinian was fakey. Too affected and softened. Not even Scarlett O'Hara's emoting would help it.

This tempts me to do my own tape sometime.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Am I the only one who got temporarily blinded after looking at her teeth?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Her English accents are accurate (which is where I live now) and being Scottish myself I think the Scottish one is pretty accurate but you'll only hear it like that in some areas.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceptileMaster View Post
Her English accents are accurate (which is where I live now) and being Scottish myself I think the Scottish one is pretty accurate but you'll only hear it like that in some areas.
I thought her second English accent wasn't too bad, her third either (although not very common). Her first I found attrocious. All three seemed very stereotyped too, not ones you'd here outside of very select towns.

I did think her Prague accent was pretty amazing though, along with her Brooklyn, although her Italian and especially German seemed awful to me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
12-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Her Charleston accent was pretty much terrible =/ Doesn't sound anything like that.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

12-29-2009, 09:40 PM

The Italian one is good. Sounds like my cousin. =o

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.