JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

01-08-2010, 10:22 AM

just looked at the ABC video.

the Japanese ship is entirely to blame and was clearly ramming the small boat.

please do look at this video again and observe the following.

1. the angle of the gil in relation to the whalling ship at the start of the video
(its about 45 deg)
2. the angle of the gil in relation to the whalling ship upon impact
(almost 90 deg)

you can see from the waters behind the boat that
a. the gill is NOT TURNING
b. the engines are on very low (ticking over)

the whalling boat sprays the crew so they cannot see, as a precaution they town down engines and maintain course and heading.

as there is a difference in relative angle between the start and impact, and as the gill is clearly not turning or using any real engine thrust.
the only explination that remains is that the "security" ship must have been turning.

but thier plan has backfired,
because now we are talking about it again

Japan security ship = fail

=========================
having viewed the youtube video its even more obvious.

when boat move though the ocean they create bow waves. (waves that splash forward from the front of the ship - the bow)

the andy gill is not making any bow waves,

the whaller is,
also you can see that the whaller at one point clearly leans accors to its left hand side, with bow waves matching indicating that its not just turning right, but turning hard right.

Last edited by WhoIsDaffy : 01-08-2010 at 10:31 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-08-2010, 10:41 AM

YouTube - Ady Gil Rammed (Synched PiP)

This video is clearly on the side of the anti-whaling side, but I cannot help bit notice that the Ady Gil revved its motors seconds before impact with the Japanese ship...an action that put it into the path of of the Japanese boat. Look at the top video right before impact. That is not clear from the bottom video.

EDIT: Actually, it is. Looking at the top video, and then the bottom video, the Ady Gil clearly was not at a full stop, and put themselves in the path of the Japanese ship, and therefore was struck.

I am not a boating expert, but a small speed boat should be more maneuverable than a much larger fishing boat...so why would they rev their motors into the path of the larger boat? And on the original video by the OP why are the videographers of the incident laughing?

Last edited by MMM : 01-08-2010 at 10:49 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

01-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
and was in fact accelerating into the path of the ship. .
WRONG - YOU DONT KNOW BOATS

a boat is not a car. if you stop the engines, it wont just stop,

if you hit reverse it wont just reverse,
the wake indicates the direction of travel and thrust vecters only!

it shows the boat (gil) was traveling forward, at a Very low speed and was probably deccelerating and certainly was not turning.

i will say however that the gil's engines were not in "Full Reverse" but there are reasons for this, because you loose 90% control if you go from forward velocity and hit full reverse, (not a problem in open waters/ricvers,) but if you have another vessel nearby not reccomended
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

01-08-2010, 10:48 AM

The smaller boat moved into the bigger boat. You can see that clearly from the videos. He isn't reversing out of the way at all, like he claimed. He clearly moved forward.

It's not the bigger boats responsibility to get out of the way. The smaller boat had perfectly enough time to manouver out of the way, but he didn't. No doubt, because the person had no skill with boats, which is what I expect from the Sea Shepherds really.

The bigger boat cannot move out of the way, and stop it's course because it didn't have the time to.

Quote:

it shows the boat (gil) was traveling forward, at a Very low speed and was probably deccelerating and certainly was not turning.

i will say however that the gil's engines were not in "Full Reverse" but there are reasons for this, because you loose 90% control if you go from forward velocity and hit full reverse, (not a problem in open waters/ricvers,) but if you have another vessel nearby not reccomended
Forward and reverse is not the only way to move in a boat. This is from somebody who knows, and has experience.

They had stopped the engines, but were still drifting forward, into the way of the bigger ship. They could have easily turned to their right, and fully thrusted to move out of the way, since they were faster than the bigger ship.

But they didn't. That showed their intentions.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -

Last edited by Salvanas : 01-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post

Look at the video I posted. The Ady Gil clearly accelerated into the path of the Japanese ship.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

01-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This video is clearly on the side of the anti-whaling side, but I cannot help bit notice that the Ady Gil revved its motors seconds before impact with the Japanese ship...
with a boat, again its not a car, the rudder does nothing unless there is thrust, so to turn hard the engines must be up.

its hard to make out from the whalling ship POV but it looks asif the gil is infact attempting to turn, (thrust spray apears to be towards the right - which would turn the gil so it was alongside the whaller)

the crew were blinded with the water cannon until it was too late, at which point the skipper of the gill attempted to take evasive action,

again, you cannot turn without engines on,
and the harder the engines are pushing, the more you turn
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

01-08-2010, 11:02 AM

The facts remains.

The Sea Shepherd are inexperienced with boats, they should not have even gotten NEAR the ship.

They have only themselves to blame.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post
with a boat, again its not a car, the rudder does nothing unless there is thrust, so to turn hard the engines must be up.

its hard to make out from the whalling ship POV but it looks asif the gil is infact attempting to turn, (thrust spray apears to be towards the right - which would turn the gil so it was alongside the whaller)

the crew were blinded with the water cannon until it was too late, at which point the skipper of the gill attempted to take evasive action,

again, you cannot turn without engines on,
and the harder the engines are pushing, the more you turn
So it is arguable that the Ady Gil put itself in a pretty dangerous situation as it was positioned in the path of a ship much larger than itself, and not in a way it could escape with any ease, as revving the engines would only put it in more danger.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

01-08-2010, 11:10 AM

if you look at eh video taken from the 3rd point of view.

you see the maru bearing down towards the gil,

it goes up on a wave, and when it comes down the dow wave is on the left hand side of the boat.

this is a clear indication that the maru is engaged in a hard right turn

also again the water cannon (from maru video) you can see that the crew of the gil were afforded almost 0 visability, were on a straight course. and again

look at the angles from the maru vid.

at the biggening there was a 45 deg angle (the gil with no vis. and engines idle was thus not turning)

upon impact the angle is almost 90deg.

the only way this can happen is if one of the two boats is turning.

gil with no thrust - not turning,
maru proven to be turning, its pretty open and shut for me
(#20 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

01-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So it is arguable that the Ady Gil put itself in a pretty dangerous situation as it was positioned in the path of a ship much larger than itself, and not in a way it could escape with any ease, as revving the engines would only put it in more danger.
well its up against a large armed (with water cannons) ship that tried and suceeded in ramming it out of the ocean

so yea.