JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Happy Coming Of Age Day ! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/29816-happy-coming-age-day.html)

JayT 01-11-2010 03:20 AM

Happy Coming Of Age Day !

From Japan! So if you've reached the age of 20 in the last year, go out there and have a drink

manganimefan227 01-11-2010 04:32 AM

Oh um wow . . .

darksyndrem 01-11-2010 04:39 AM

LOOL wtf???

JayT 01-11-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 794571)
Oh um wow . . .

Oh um wow . . . It's a holiday here, and this is Japan forum...
So, learn about the customs of Japan instead of oogling over Anime.

IamKira 01-11-2010 05:35 AM

my comming of age day is going to be when i first get laid...

redline 01-11-2010 05:37 AM

I second this motion of this thread. Yet, can't drink legally till 21, and I don't know of any parties going on any time soon. Ill just have to wait one more month when I actually turn 20.

manganimefan227 01-12-2010 01:06 AM

Of course it is . . .

JayT FOR PETE SAKE! I know I used to do some weeabu things but I don't do that anymore and the last anime I saw was Ouran High School BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED! I've only seen an occasional Konjiki no Gash Bell and two episodes of 11eyes I was just saying it's a strange tradition to be celebrating by getting drunk!

I'm sorry but I'm tired of the hate!

mousee09 01-12-2010 04:56 AM

cool, i plan on going to japan this fall for a year and I turn 20 this september, I might go to that festival :D

manganimefan227 01-13-2010 08:30 AM

Have fun ^_^

princessmarisa 01-13-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 794698)
Of course it is . . .

JayT FOR PETE SAKE! I know I used to do some weeabu things but I don't do that anymore and the last anime I saw was Ouran High School BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED! I've only seen an occasional Konjiki no Gash Bell and two episodes of 11eyes I was just saying it's a strange tradition to be celebrating by getting drunk!

I'm sorry but I'm tired of the hate!

You can't be a weeaboo right, you can't even spell it :mtongue:

Also care to elaborate why it would be strange to celebrate by getting drunk (you can't drink to XX age in XX country is not relevant here, as it is a Japanese event usually only celebrated in Japan)
In most cultures where drinking is acceptable it is almost a cultural tradition in itself to go out and get hammered on certain birthdays where alcohol consumption becomes legal(18, 21 etc.)
This way a whole group can all go out together and celebrate together as it is not just for one person it is for everyone who turned 20 in the last year! (and you don't have the trouble of your friend being underage when you just turned legal drinking age)

Perhaps you wouldn't have got such a hate response if you had elaborated more what you mean that "oh um wow" in your first reply, which sounds like you are attacking with sarcasm or similar from the offset.

seijin no hi omedetou gozaimashita for all who did celebrate anyhows :D