JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

The Book of Eli - *SPOILER ALERT* - 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM

This new Denzel Washington movie came out this weekend in the US. I was skeptical after reading some pretty negative reviews (mixed with some positive ones) but I found it to be a pretty enjoyable (if not dark, post-apocalyptic) movie. It is much more of a "superhero" movie, in a way, compared to The Road. Denzel is great, but I thought Gary Oldman was really great as the bad guy.

I am curious to hear other opinions from those that have seen it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2010, 10:47 AM

It was better than 2012, that's for sure. But I still liked The Road better because those people make me look healthy.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This new Denzel Washington movie came out this weekend in the US. I was skeptical after reading some pretty negative reviews (mixed with some positive ones) but I found it to be a pretty enjoyable (if not dark, post-apocalyptic) movie. It is much more of a "superhero" movie, in a way, compared to The Road. Denzel is great, but I thought Gary Oldman was really great as the bad guy.

I am curious to hear other opinions from those that have seen it.
I'm also hesitant to see it, having read several of those negative reviews myself. Is the religious aspect of it as heavy-handed and in-your-face as some critics have been saying?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
I'm also hesitant to see it, having read several of those negative reviews myself. Is the religious aspect of it as heavy-handed and in-your-face as some critics have been saying?
What I thought was really cool about the movie is that the religious aspect of it is not heavy handed at all. I would be skeptical of any critic that said so.

SPOILER ALERT

Apparently the war that killed all humanity was somehow connected to Christianity, so as a result, all bibles were destroyed to prevent that from ever happening again (not exactly a pro-Christian stance) but since the man of the future has no organization, he is more like an animal. It is though that the powerful words of organized religion might be able to bring man back to humanity...at least those are the selfish thoughts of Gary Oldman's character, as he wants to do it and be the leader of the religion and of man.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What I thought was really cool about the movie is that the religious aspect of it is not heavy handed at all. I would be skeptical of any critic that said so.

SPOILER ALERT

Apparently the war that killed all humanity was somehow connected to Christianity, so as a result, all bibles were destroyed to prevent that from ever happening again (not exactly a pro-Christian stance) but since the man of the future has no organization, he is more like an animal. It is though that the powerful words of organized religion might be able to bring man back to humanity...at least those are the selfish thoughts of Gary Oldman's character, as he wants to do it and be the leader of the religion and of man.
Sounds interesting. I opted for Daybreakers instead of this the other day. I guess I might just have to go see it then.