JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post The "Unsinkable Carrier" for the USA - 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM

In 1983 Japanese Prime-Minister, Mr Nakasone proclaimed Japan as " unsinkable aircraft carrier of the USA".
Is it true that many people in Japan share this point of view nowadays?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
In 1983 Japanese Prime-Minister, Mr Nakasone proclaimed Japan as " unsinkable aircraft carrier of the USA".
Is it true that many people in Japan share this point of view nowadays?
No, not at all. One needs to take into account the fact that this occured several years prior the collapse of the Soviet Union. There is no longer a reason even for the more "patriotic" political leaders to speak or even think like Nakasone did back then. The Liberal Democratic Party, which Nakasone belonged to, is no longer in power.

Nowadays, when the domestic economy isn't nearly as healthy as in the 80's, the general Japanese public appear more interested in the internal affairs. The current political atmosphere would not allow a statement as the one in question as that would not win the support of the voters.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

01-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Maybe relevant military people, inside and outside of Japan, would still believe so; tactically, that expression should still hold some legitimacy. It goes without saying--as long as Japan is our ally, the U.S. may be inclined to consider them a friendly vessel from which to act from.

As for the civilian body itself, I'm not informed enough to make a proper conclusion.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post internal affairs - 01-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Nowadays, when the domestic economy isn't nearly as healthy as in the 80's, the general Japanese public appear more interested in the internal affairs. The current political atmosphere would not allow a statement as the one in question as that would not win the support of the voters.
OK, thank you for clarification. On a personal note, I think that modern Japan Self-Defense Forces could successfully protect the country without an umbrella of American military might.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-28-2010, 04:09 AM

They can, but they won't. The status quo, maintained by the Hatoyama administration it seems, is that indeed, Japan looks to the USN as the primary defensive force with its neighbors. The idea that the few public protestors represent any kind of influence on the issue is false. I still have USN business that I do in Yokosuka, and many of my former unit members have served or are currently serving there. Yokosuka remains the largest overseas naval base for the USN. This is not going to change. At least not in the next few decades.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-28-2010, 05:39 AM

I doubt the tactical situation would be much different now than then, politically I'm sure they would say things differently these days.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post primary defensive force - 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Japan looks to the USN as the primary defensive force with its neighbors.
"Japan", you said...well, perhaps rather current Administration than, say ordinary people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
The idea that the few public protestors represent any kind of influence on the issue is false.
What about Okinawa Prefecture? Seems, local people feel no pleasure and comfort.

quote :

Complaints by Okinawans towards the U.S. Military

Okinawans complain about crime, pollution, obnoxious behavior, litter, and land use problems associated with the Americans and simply being overwhelmed by them. Between 1972 and 2003, there were there were 5,157 crimes committed by American against civilians in Okinawa. Of these 533 were deemed by the Okinawa government to be “heinous crimes such as murder, robbery and sexual assault.” Twelve murders have been committed by U.S. servicemen in Okinawa.
Residents of Okinawa complain that noise from F-15 jets and cargo helicopters disrupts students during the day and people trying to sleep at night. They particularly don't like the nighttime take off and landings and low-altitude training exercises. Sonic booms from American F-16s have broke windows and caused minor injuries to an infant from broken glass. There also been gas leaks, fuel and chemical spills an errant bombs.

Source
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
"Japan", you said...well, perhaps rather current Administration than, say ordinary people.
Are ordinary citizens in Japan saying they would rather have a Japanese military than have American defense forces protecting them?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile Protecting Force - 01-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are ordinary citizens in Japan saying they would rather have a Japanese military than have American defense forces protecting them?
I think they prefer to have a Japanese Military rather than occupants from the USA.
Let's ask them?
As for "defense forces". Tell me, please, who has an intention to attack Japan nowadays? Maybe, North Korea with their "powerful" scrap fleet and a single medium-range ballistic missile?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2010, 11:29 AM

I think it's amusing when the term/prefix "friend" is used when talking about international politics. It has nothing to do with friendship. It's more like partners in crime, and sometimes coerced.