JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
gyl0119 (Offline)
JF Regular

should one fear death? - 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

According to the philosophers, Epicurus and Socrates; death is not something to be feared.
Now the question is,
why should one fear death?
if yes, what is your objections towards the Epicurus and Socrates reasonings.
if no, what is your view of death, and why one should not fear death, is your reasons to not fear when compared to that of Socrates or Epicirus differ or are they similar?

Open to discussion, this is my assignment but its finish, but i find that its pretty interesting so might as well share it to get some people thinking about the present that was given to us on the day we were born.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Fear of death isn't a conscious choice as much as it is an instinct of self preservation. It translates into human fears with humans, but it's rooted in primal instinct. All prey knows enough to run away from their predators. At any rate, humans can suppress that fear consciously through various ways. If nothing else, some people who are mortally wounded show signs of total acceptance. Others show distress but it's difficult to say it's not simply the pain reaction because animals do the same thing.

Last edited by xyzone : 01-30-2010 at 07:38 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

01-30-2010, 08:28 PM

I don't, mainly because sometimes I just feel that such a sad world is not worth living in and just wish I could leave it because there isn't a whole lot I can do, Even if I am a good kid . . .

-Everyone coughs laughs and mutters bad names-

Hmmm, Should I take you seriously or try to prove you wrong?

I'm the type of kid who can sense when something is wrong but can't quite explain it half the time, but this worldwide hate and misunderstanding and terrorist brainwashing makes me question life's value.

And at age 14 .. .I dunno what to think of it . . .Other than being sad.

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
darkreize (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2010, 08:38 PM

For me fear of death is due to fear of the unknown.. people don't know what comes after death, we don't know what happens or where we end up that's why we fear it.

People tell me I have neither feelings nor facial expressions.. on the contrary don't they realize that they are just too emotional and sensitive?
I'm not exactly silent, you just talk too much. -darkreize
(#5 (permalink))
Old
LordKiwii (Offline)
JF Regular

01-30-2010, 09:03 PM

You shouldn't be afraid to die .. just afraid to live an unlived life. I'm more afraid of time then death. Because I want to spend as much time as I can in this world

Don't worry you're just as sane as I am ~ Luna Lovegood

I'm not weird. You are all just too normal.

STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF

My favorite bands (atm) all in one crappy made signature, yaay! Cinema Bizarre, DBSK, The GazettE and An Cafe!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2010, 09:12 PM

Yep, humans have a fear of the unknown.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Flesh (Offline)
Sin With a Grin

01-30-2010, 10:22 PM

As Xyzone stated,it really isnt a conscious choice,its not something you can just force yourself to or not to fear.

Of course,death souldnt be feared,since really,there would be no point in it.its something we cant change or fight with it.
But most correctly said would be that people are afraid of what comes after death.Death itself is something people rarely worry about,unless they have a disease of some sort that would result in them dying in pain; or something

I personally am afraid of death a lot,but honestly,im pretty paranoid in general.
Anyways, ive learned that as much as i'd want to cure myself of this fear,its really hard.Ive even talked with my mom about it,a friend too.If anything,it only made me nervous and shaky.

so yeah,enjoy my pointless post |D i know i just repeated everybody,sorry

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-31-2010, 12:39 AM

People love to be afraid, and death is just one item on a long list of items to fear.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-31-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyl0119 View Post
According to the philosophers, Epicurus and Socrates; death is not something to be feared.
Now the question is,
why should one fear death?
if yes, what is your objections towards the Epicurus and Socrates reasonings.
if no, what is your view of death, and why one should not fear death, is your reasons to not fear when compared to that of Socrates or Epicirus differ or are they similar?

Open to discussion, this is my assignment but its finish, but i find that its pretty interesting so might as well share it to get some people thinking about the present that was given to us on the day we were born.
Why do I feel like we are being asked to do someone's homework again?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
darkreize (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why do I feel like we are being asked to do someone's homework again?
Seems like it. (^___^)

People tell me I have neither feelings nor facial expressions.. on the contrary don't they realize that they are just too emotional and sensitive?
I'm not exactly silent, you just talk too much. -darkreize