JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
What will Japan be like in 10 years' time? - 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Just a question, so tell us what you think japan will be like in ten years.

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
I have no enemies my opponent is my teacher.
(けとだ!) (こい) (とどめだ!) I Am Shadow The Hedgehog
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-02-2010, 10:53 PM

About the only difference I've seen from 2000 is the now near universality of cell phones. At the tine, cell phones existed, but were weak, expensive, and bricklike. In the next ten years I predict the near universality of smartphones or pad/tablet devices. Perhaps even in school, but that might be a difficult sell to the Boards of Education. Other than that, most cultural components of Japan will remain roughly the same.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#3 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-02-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
About the only difference I've seen from 2000 is the now near universality of cell phones. At the tine, cell phones existed, but were weak, expensive, and bricklike. In the next ten years I predict the near universality of smartphones or pad/tablet devices. Perhaps even in school, but that might be a difficult sell to the Boards of Education. Other than that, most cultural components of Japan will remain roughly the same.
I think the OP was talking about in Japan. Cell phones in Japan where quite nice even back in 2000. From your profile/posts on the board it doesn't appear you were in Japan 10 years ago. You could actually get one with a color screen for 1 yen when you signed up for a plan. Color was a luxury back then and it was only DSTN Color displays, not TFT. But the phones were small and well ahead of the bricks still standard in the rest of the world.

To the OP's original post... and its a thoughtful, good post:

I think the government will crack down more on illegal immigrants.

It will become more difficult to enter Japanese borders legally.

Get more tough on smoking like the US fascist movement toward smoking.

Get back into making business and system software that isn't video game related and make a move against Microsoft.

Continue to create state of the art robotics.

Get fatter until the government finalizes laws to keep your waist in check or discovers how to make even the fattiest food non-fat non-calorie.

Begin to surpass the world in medicine as the US would have completely destroyed their health-care system (by passing some government controlled health-care system) and doctors will have fled the US.

The Japanese auto industry may be belly up by then because the US will not need cars anymore because of the national high speed trains President Obama promised the nation (haha).

Moss Burger (under a different name) and Mister Donuts will have come back to America in Japanese service and style fashion and Japan will rule the world from the profits.

Japan will have to and be allowed to defend itself without the assistance of the US - because the US may be broke by then.

The 産経新聞, 読売新聞 and Fox News will have a joint venture and be the only place to get fair and balanced news. CNN and the like would be long gone.

Last edited by clintjm : 02-03-2010 at 12:13 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-03-2010, 01:40 AM

In 10 years? Maybe more lowering of prices, total 24 hour change-overs for more facilities, and more chain businesses. Maybe another hike in sales tax. Otherwise, not all that different from now, just like 10 years ago wasn`t all that much different from now.

With phones, I really don`t see people switching over to smart phones. I hear nothing but complaints about typing in Japanese on those that are around now (and even more about the pain of it on the iPhone). It seems like people change their phones every year so it`s not really in their interest to jump into smart phones.
And yep, 10 years ago my cheapy prepaid cell phone (while much behind in features compared to today) was not that much bigger than my current phone, and it had good coverage. (A silver version of this.)
Even 9 years ago I had a color screen, live weather and news updates, etc. (Don`t feel like digging it out for a pic - but here is the same model.) The oohs and aahs it got on visits to the US were great fun at the time.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-03-2010, 02:00 AM

I guess it doesn't what the topic is, any place is seemingly a good place to dump on America.

I am actually happy to see fewer teens smoking in Japan, and overall it seems like there are fewer smokers than there were even five years ago.

You talk about America's "facist crackdown" on smoking like smoking is a good thing, clintjm. There is nothing facist about promoting good health and going down a path that hopefully eventually makes cigarettes a thing of the past.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-03-2010, 02:11 AM

Hmmmm . . .Aisans are smart, imagine Futarama with Humans . . .So the Jetsons . . .Yeah . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-03-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I guess it doesn't what the topic is, any place is seemingly a good place to dump on America.

I am actually happy to see fewer teens smoking in Japan, and overall it seems like there are fewer smokers than there were even five years ago.

You talk about America's "facist crackdown" on smoking like smoking is a good thing, clintjm. There is nothing facist about promoting good health and going down a path that hopefully eventually makes cigarettes a thing of the past.
What are you complaining about? Who is dumping on America?

Crack down on Tobacco in Japan has been happening for a while. I was writing to 10 years from now Japan being to the degree America has taken it.

Yeah we all have our devices... Promoting health is one thing... prohibiting and taxing is another.

People who smoke, drink, or eat junk food know its not good for you, but seriously... I don't need anyone telling me its bad for me, tax, or to prevent it all together. Oh... we've already had that thread.

Too much Internet isn't good for you either you know... you know... they eyes on the screen, carpal tunnel, addiction to whatever have you on the net...

I throw in one more then...
Pot will be legalized in the U.S. and in Japan in 10 years.

At least you didn't complain about the fox news venture; but I'm sure you'll find something else.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
02-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Hmmmm . . .Aisans are smart, imagine Futarama with Humans . . .So the Jetsons . . .Yeah . . .
All of that in ten years? Fat chance think a bit smaller like just now making hover cars good enough to drive on public streets.

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
I have no enemies my opponent is my teacher.
(けとだ!) (こい) (とどめだ!) I Am Shadow The Hedgehog
(#9 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-03-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuruneru View Post
All of that in ten years? Fat chance think a bit smaller like just now making hover cars good enough to drive on public streets.
By the time there is convienent high speed rail that everyone can use and benefit from in all of the U.S., like in Japan and Europe, there will already be flying cars like the Jetsons, so we won't need it.

In ten years in Japan it will also be exactly 1 degree Celcius cooler on average.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-03-2010, 03:47 AM

I don't know about 10 years but according to Vexille in 70 or so it's going to be pure robots. Animation is never wrong.