JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What to wear? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/30275-what-wear.html)

MMM 02-06-2010 03:46 PM

What to wear?

Is it in Rome do as the Romans do, or just wear clothes from home?

thcuteness 02-06-2010 03:52 PM

I wouldnt mind wearing traditional japanese clothes, not one bit.

Koir 02-06-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 798726)
Is it in Rome do as the Romans do, or be a gaijin and only wear what you came with?

Awfully slanted tone to that comment. I do remember there being a certain disdain for non-Japanese wearing traditional clothing, something about trying too hard.

Where's a "both" option?

MMM 02-06-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 798730)
Awfully slanted tone to that comment. I do remember there being a certain disdain for non-Japanese wearing traditional clothing, something about trying too hard.

Where's a "both" option?

I don't make surveys with a "both" option because that is not reality.

I didn't think it was slanted, but you have your right to your opinion.

Nyororin 02-06-2010 04:18 PM

I will be honest and say that, well, this question is a pretty difficult one to answer as it is worded. Most Japanese do not wear traditional Japanese clothes on anything close to a regular basis. It would make more sense as a question if most of the population DID.

I go with "do as the Romans do"... Which doesn`t involve wearing traditional Japanese clothes outside of very very limited circumstances. So I can`t really vote for either option.

I won`t say "slant" - but your wording does sound like not wearing traditional Japanese clothes is something only non-Japanese do.

Tsuwabuki 02-06-2010 05:23 PM

I wear yukata to matsuri and happi around the house. I wear suits and ties to work, and often to play (bars, clubs, cocktail parties). On weekends, if I am feeling casual, jeans/shorts and a polo shirt.

meggintosh 02-06-2010 06:21 PM

Uhh, I think I would wear the traditional clothes on specific holidays and festivals, but not as like everyday wear, or just for the fact that I could. But on the other hand, I might take advantage of that, because even though they're not really the same, I tend to take every opportunity to wear a dress and heels here in america. Even more importantly, could that relation between the two even be appropriate?

Yamha 02-06-2010 07:32 PM

I think it would have been nice to try once, but I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing it, since I'm not Japanese. It's almost like bunad, which we wear on special occasions in Norway. If the person wearing it had a connection with Norway, for example if they are Norwegian, or have lived here for a while, I think it's nice that they wear it, but if they are just tourist and wears it, it would feel a bit like a costume. I hope I don't sound judgmental, I think it's nice if people want to wear bunad, but maybe a bit weird if they don't have any connections to Norway and just want it to be a part of an experience. So I would probably just wear my normal clothes, even though I think traditional Japanese clothing are really beautiful.

JasonTakeshi 02-06-2010 07:45 PM

I'm a Gossei*, so i wouldn't know what to do.

*Gossei: Your GGG grandparent/s was/were Japanese.

Edit: Under the lines.
Edit2: Any advice, MMM?

Hatredcopter 02-06-2010 11:32 PM

I wear a yukata around my flat during appropriate weather, but otherwise no, never. Only other time I've put on traditional clothes and geta was during a local festival.