JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Technological breakthrough of Japan : video cassette formats - 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM

There is a known fact that the first practical video tape recorder was invented in the USA by Ampex engineers in 1956. But it took about 15 or so years before Sony introduced a standard for the first widespread video cassette, called U-matic.

quote :

U-matic is a videocassette format first shown by Sony in prototype in October 1969, and introduced to the market in September 1971. It was among the first video formats to contain the videotape inside a cassette, as opposed to the various open-reel formats of the time.

Wiki

Later, in 1975 Sony developed a home videocassette tape recording format called Betamax which was followed by VHS format of JVC. During so-called Video tape format war VHS emerged as the winner.

quote :

VHS' properties include longer playing time, faster rewinding and fast-forwarding, and a less complex tape transport mechanism. The open standard used for VHS technology allowed mass production without licensing costs.[3] VHS would eventually come out as the winning video tape format, surpassing other home tape formats by the 1990s.

Wiki

So, VHS format, developed in Japan quickly became a literally global standard for portable Video Tape Recorders prior to invention of DVD.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
There is a known fact that the first practical video tape recorder was invented in the USA by Ampex engineers in 1956. But it took about 15 or so years before Sony introduced a standard for the first widespread video cassette, called U-matic.

quote :

U-matic is a videocassette format first shown by Sony in prototype in October 1969, and introduced to the market in September 1971. It was among the first video formats to contain the videotape inside a cassette, as opposed to the various open-reel formats of the time.

Wiki

Later, in 1975 Sony developed a home videocassette tape recording format called Betamax which was followed by VHS format of JVC. During so-called Video tape format war VHS emerged as the winner.

quote :

VHS' properties include longer playing time, faster rewinding and fast-forwarding, and a less complex tape transport mechanism. The open standard used for VHS technology allowed mass production without licensing costs.[3] VHS would eventually come out as the winning video tape format, surpassing other home tape formats by the 1990s.

Wiki

So, VHS format, developed in Japan quickly became a literally global standard for portable Video Tape Recorders prior to invention of DVD.
I love history on this kind of stuff. I'm kind of a A/V geek...
The VCR is dying quicker than I thought in the US mainly because people don't really have a need to record off-air items any more becuase:

a. Programs are usually available on then net
b. or a stream from your cable company callable at any time.
c. Tivo devices available from your cable/satelite company.
d. With the cut of the analog over the air signal, VCRs have trouble syncing with DTV
boxes as they only have analog tuning.
e. Renting DVDs versus renting Tapes would have always won out because tapes share between hundreds of people and VCRs usually lead to damage of the tape and quality; not to mention the VCR.

The VCR is actually quite a saphisticated device with the robotics and the analog signal usage.

In the early 2000s, probably up to around 2005 or 2006 you could still buy a top of the line dependable consumer VTR in JAPAN which included features that its american counter-part did not:

1. Go-Bai (5 speed) - extended super long play. SLP or EP is 3 times the recording time of the tape, ESLP Go bai speed is 5 times the tape. So if you have a T-180 or T-200 tape, you could store up to 1000 minutes on one tape.

2. S-VHS never died in Japan as it did in the US. The quality of picture is much better with the S-VHS feature. More lines of detail per frame (400 I believe)

3. DNR - Digital Noise Reduction. This wonderful feature digitally cleaned up picture and audio noise on the tape making it look like much better.

4. More inputs and outputs.

5. Brodcast Satelite Tuner built in. Although you had to pay more for this, it was nice to not be renting a satelite box or converter box, Tivo from a company to record or view a broadcast.

6. All the bells and whistles you would expect from a VCR that the American manufacturer just thought the American user would use.

7. Simply better quality design and parts. The remotes and panel controls, plus panel displays were simply better. You could program the VTR from the remote on a remote control LCD panel and then send it to the VTR.

8. Tape Cataloging database systems built in in later models.

The same for HDD / DVD Recorders today in Japan compared to American counterparts. Japanese models are just better.

I still have two Toshiba Arena Models back from 2001 and 2002. The quality is unimaginable for recording and playback. This because of the S-VHS, but mostly because of the DNR.

Here a snapshot of one the models I still have.
http://img317.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/u...synyv68022.jpg
http://img317.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/u...lydax68022.jpg
http://img317.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/u...smjjc68022.jpg

Keep in mind this was a consumer model at consumer model prices back in 2001.

Okay now that my nerd manifesto rant on my love for a proper VTR is over, let me say I do understand its a dying format. But still once in a while I come across the need to copy a DVD into my video collection that just has unbreakable copy protection which I just move to a tape. Plus the few things I still tape off of TV goes on to a tape.

How about laserdiscs? Does anyone still have any of these?
Laserdisc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I still have a chest full of these, but mainly for Karoke.
They never took off here in the US. Moving these between Japan and the US years ago was a true pleasure because of their size and weight. The quality and dual hifi audio tracks were a speciality that VHS couldn't do at the time. In additional CAV formats could do picture perfect freeze frames.

How about D-VHS? Anyone ever dealth with it?
D-VHS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On a side note, I'd never heard of U-matic. Really interesting stuff.

Last edited by clintjm : 02-08-2010 at 02:41 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post 02-11-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
I love history on this kind of stuff. I'm kind of a A/V geek...
So am I

Quote:
d. With the cut of the analog over the air signal, VCRs have trouble syncing with DTV boxes as they only have analog tuning.
Yes, indeed. On the other hand, some of modern set-top-boxes for satellite TV of DVB standard, manufactured in South Korea, still have a separated SCART output designed specially for VCR.

Quote:
The VCR is actually quite a saphisticated device with the robotics and the analog signal usage.
And first models of DVD players developed for home use were never such superexpensive as first consumer VCRs

Quote:
In the early 2000s, probably up to around 2005 or 2006 you could still buy a top of the line dependable consumer VTR in JAPAN which included features that its american counter-part did not:

1. Go-Bai (5 speed) - extended super long play. SLP or EP is 3 times the recording time of the tape, ESLP Go bai speed is 5 times the tape. So if you have a T-180 or T-200 tape, you could store up to 1000 minutes on one tape.

2. S-VHS never died in Japan as it did in the US. The quality of picture is much better with the S-VHS feature. More lines of detail per frame (400 I believe)

3. DNR - Digital Noise Reduction. This wonderful feature digitally cleaned up picture and audio noise on the tape making it look like much better.

4. More inputs and outputs.

5. Brodcast Satelite Tuner built in. Although you had to pay more for this, it was nice to not be renting a satelite box or converter box, Tivo from a company to record or view a broadcast.

6. All the bells and whistles you would expect from a VCR that the American manufacturer just thought the American user would use.

7. Simply better quality design and parts. The remotes and panel controls, <span name="mcb_s" id="mcb_s" style="display:-moz-inline-stack; display:inline-block; overflow:hidden; zoom:1; *display:inline; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">plus panel displays</span> were simply better. You could program the VTR from the remote on a remote control LCD panel and then send it to the VTR.

8. Tape Cataloging database systems built in in later models.

The same for HDD / DVD Recorders today in Japan compared to American counterparts. Japanese models are just better.

I still have two <span name="mcb_s" id="mcb_s" style="display:-moz-inline-stack; display:inline-block; overflow:hidden; zoom:1; *display:inline; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Toshiba Arena Models</span> back from 2001 and 2002. The quality is unimaginable for recording and playback. This because of the S-VHS, but mostly because of the DNR.

Here a snapshot of one the models I still have.
http://img317.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/u...synyv68022.jpg
http://img317.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/u...lydax68022.jpg
http://img317.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/u...smjjc68022.jpg

Keep in mind this was a consumer model at consumer model prices back in 2001.
Cool and sophisticated machines !

Quote:
But still once in a while I come across the need to copy a DVD into my video collection that just has unbreakable copy protection which I just move to a tape.
If you have a good recorder, this is a best way.

Quote:
How about laserdiscs? Does anyone still have any of these?
I used to own a home acoustic center manufactured by Sanyo. The item had dual loader designed both for Laserdiscs and CDs.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

02-11-2010, 03:19 AM

i remember the days of vhs.
you know what is sad to see dye, - cathode ray tube tv's. those things were beasts. you couldn't break one without a hammer. the thick curved glass of the screen made this possible ..it distributed the impact through the whole screen instead of one part like flat screen tv's

plus, easy way to get your hands on a cathode ray tube for experimentation
love those things

IamKira
(#5 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post impact - 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
....cathode ray tube tv's. those things were beasts. you couldn't break one without a hammer. the thick curved glass of the screen made this possible ..it distributed the impact through the whole screen instead of one part like flat screen tv's
Strange. Today my fellow chief of local service center for home electronic goods made me complaints about a huge amount of broken LCD TV and plasma flat TV panels which were brought into service department right after New Year holydays. He also paid a tribute for good ol' bulky CRT TVs
(#6 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Strange. Today my fellow chief of local service center for home electronic goods made me complaints about a huge amount of broken LCD TV and plasma flat TV panels which were brought into service department right after New Year holydays. He also paid a tribute for good ol' bulky CRT TVs
Indeed. CRT TVs die hard and are quite reliable.
The color quality and do not suffer from "input lag" as most LCDs do:

Input lag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

When playing a high speed FPS, a CRT is almost always the weapon of choice.

I've yet to invest with a LCD or Plasma Tv because of how fragile and expensive they are. I don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, so I'll stick with my CRTs.

As far as computer CRTS, the same... a little less lifespan but still you can display almost any resolution at different refresh rates, but no input lag and the vivid color from them are usually much better than the average LCD.

Sure CRTs are bulkier, but if you got the room and want to save some money along with peace of mind, CRT is the way to go.

However a 1080p projector might be something to think about as a LCD alternative. Maybe in 5 years when my current CRTs start to fail or I just move.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
So am I

Yes, indeed. On the other hand, some of modern set-top-boxes for satellite TV of DVB standard, manufactured in South Korea, still have a separated SCART output designed specially for VCR.

I used to own a home acoustic center manufactured by Sanyo. The item had dual loader designed both for Laserdiscs and CDs.

mmmmm... SCART. Pure resolution. I had a RGB monitor for my SNES many moons ago...

Laserdiscs:
Yes they were quite the top of the line at the time. More so they Karaoke option and the automatic flipping function (so you didn't have to eject the LD and flip it over manually.

Did you know you can still buy a new Pioneer Laserdisc model in Japanese retail electronics stores? Yodabashi Camera and BIC still sell them! Of course they can play DVDs too. However I think they are not making them anymore as I don't see them online anymore but still in most locations as left over inventory.

As LD Karaoke classics are reprinted on DVD, many people shuffle to this as well as real Karaoke machines with non-DVD media or hard disk media are the professional units.