JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Thumbs up Safe in Japan. - 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM

I found Japan to be one of the safest and most comfortable places that I have ever been to. The whole time I was there, I never felt threatened, scared or paranoid that something bad would happen to me. I stayed in homes were the occupants did not lock their doors, I stayed on a farm where the owner would leave their car keys in the car ignition when going into the supermarket.

I'm not naive, I do know that bad things happen in Japan, but I think that it is far safer than anywhere else, especially for one with a high number of population. For example, Alaska is probably safer, but it has a much lower population. The only exception in Japan I found was in Roppongi, it felt like I was back in England!! Please see thread: Drink spiking: bad experience in Roppongi

Why is Japan a lot safer than other places, is it because of respect and honour or something else? Does anyone else think so too? I just wish that England was the same!!!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#2 (permalink))
Old
shinagawa (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to shinagawa
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM

まず大多数の日本人は「とりあえず1日3食のご飯と寝る 所があれば生きていける。」
と考えているから。

もう一つは大多数の日本人はは、子供は元気に外で遊ん でいてる姿、若者は自身を持
って、胸を張って堂々と歩いている姿、ご老人は仲間と 仲良く談笑している姿を見ていた
いから。

最後に行政が国民を大切に保護してくれるから。日本の 行政は世界一、国民を大切に
保護してくれていると思う。もちろん問題は無い訳では ないけど。

Last edited by shinagawa : 02-08-2010 at 11:03 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-09-2010, 12:21 AM

1- Iceland
2- Denmark
3- Norway
4- New Zealand
5- Japan
6- Ireland
7- Portugal
8- Finland
9- Luxembourg
10- Austria

List of Most Peaceful Countries in the World

PS: Don't really know how accurate the information is.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 02-09-2010 at 12:37 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-09-2010, 01:13 AM

One major factor is likely the relatively equal distribution of wealth in Japan, something that it shares in common with the countries on the list that JasonTakeshi posted. However, that level of equality is slowly changing, and so is the crime rate. If you look at the levels of wealth equality in Japan versus the crime rate over the last 20 years, you'll see the crime rate has been rising as wealth distribution becomes more unequal. Certainly though, culture and other factors are part of it as well, and crime is not explicitly tied to wealth distribution.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-09-2010, 01:52 AM

And so the safe country begins to crumble >.>

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-09-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
1- Iceland
2- Denmark
3- Norway
4- New Zealand
5- Japan
6- Ireland
7- Portugal
8- Finland
9- Luxembourg
10- Austria

List of Most Peaceful Countries in the World

PS: Don't really know how accurate the information is.
Ireland is number 6 as most peaceful countries in the world? That surprises me a little.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-09-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Ireland is number 6 as most peaceful countries in the world? That surprises me a little.
yeah, thats why i told i didn't know if the information was that accurate.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-09-2010, 04:17 AM

Ireland != Northern Ireland (as much as those of us of the Irish Republican flavor would wish it to be, I consider myself American because that is all I have known, but I technically am an Irish dual-citizen). Northern Ireland is much, much better than it was during the Troubles. Very little spilled over into the Republic though. The Republic of Ireland being number 6 does not surprise me at all. Now, if this counted the whole of Erin, then I would question it.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-09-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Ireland != Northern Ireland (as much as those of us of the Irish Republican flavor would wish it to be, I consider myself American because that is all I have known, but I technically am an Irish dual-citizen). Northern Ireland is much, much better than it was during the Troubles. Very little spilled over into the Republic though. The Republic of Ireland being number 6 does not surprise me at all. Now, if this counted the whole of Erin, then I would question it.
The clarification is helpful. Shows how little I know about parts of the world I should know more about.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-09-2010, 04:56 AM

Don't feel bad, MMM. I only keep up because my family is from there, and I have cousins in and around Dublin. If I didn't have a direct connection to the country, I probably wouldn't know as much as I do about the political systems and culture of both the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Also, if I ever do use my Irish citizenship and vote, I will want to make sure it is an informed choice. There is also the issue that citizenship ends with me, unless I take my children to live in Ireland for a period of time. I was not born in Ireland, my father was not born in Ireland, but my grandfather was (and did not become an American citizen), by law my father was (he passed in 1987) and I am Irish, but my children are only Irish if I take them on Irish soil...

IE, not your normal connection to a "foriegn" country. I sure don't know anything about, say, Uzbekistan.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org