LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ninjakid (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Stereotypes are stereotypes because in some small way, they can be true. The problem is, several of these 10 ways are not true at all. Raw meat? Sashimi is one thing, but you will never see Japanese people eating raw pork or beef. MMM covered the Katana, but there are more.

Also, hair and body products are on the rise among male American preteens and teens.
well in fact Japanese people eat a lot of raw meat except for pork. however we eat row beef called Yukke, raw chicken called Torisashi, raw horse meat called Basashi. Japanese people love eating this things. You may wanna try if you're interested in. but anyway i think this one is meant to be sexual at the same time.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-12-2010, 03:26 AM

I would say that the OP is just trying to sell these tees. He has the same link on his profile!

Action time, mods!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
well in fact Japanese people eat a lot of raw meat except for pork. however we eat row beef called Yukke, raw chicken called Torisashi, raw horse meat called Basashi. Japanese people love eating this things. You may wanna try if you're interested in. but anyway i think this one is meant to be sexual at the same time.
Yes, raw beef and raw chicken grade meat is available, but I haven't met any Japanese that eat these dishes "a lot". It is more of a now-and-again treat.

How is saying your boyfriend puts raw meat in his mouth "sexual" in a way that you would want her to wear it talking about you?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Trinket (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2010, 03:37 AM

This is a little bit of a ridiculous argument. Everyone has a different opinion about what's racist and what's not. Also peoples sense of humor vary. So no one is going to win, just agree to disagree and let that be that.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket View Post
This is a little bit of a ridiculous argument. Everyone has a different opinion about what's racist and what's not. Also peoples sense of humor vary. So no one is going to win, just agree to disagree and let that be that.
No Trinket, I don't think so. Comments disparaging other races based solely on being that race are racist. That isn't a "ridiculous argument" because that implies that whether or not comments are racist is strictly negotiable...and that isn't the case.

There is overt, and covert, but racially offensive is racially offensive. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Trinket (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No Trinket, I don't think so. Comments disparaging other races based solely on being that race are racist. That isn't a "ridiculous argument" because that implies that whether or not comments are racist is strictly negotiable...and that isn't the case.

There is overt, and covert, but racially offensive is racially offensive. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.
Isn't the case...in your opinion.

You're right racism is there but prejudice is natural for people in general.. and it happens to be everywhere.
Personally, I find the shirt stupid and not funny and people who think it's cool to date a certain race rather...oh what's the right wording, blank minded?

The thing is, those who are prejudice stick to that view no matter what you say or do, it's wrong but it is also a lost battle. There are more important issues to worry about in the world of racism, not dumb teenager style shirts.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
02-12-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The simple word "the" is said to be beyond Japanese comprehension. That isn't the same as saying they speak horrible English. "Very far" from racist? I don't think so.
How so? From what I gathered, it meant the Japanese say something like "He is student" instead of "He is the student". Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a bit like bad English.

Quote:
So you think it is funny to compare Asians to computers?

This discredits their education and excuses Westerners lower math scores by dehumanizing Japanese by throwing our hands in the air and saying "They are inhuman! They are computers!" The fact that math skills are higher in Asia compared to the West is not "innate"...it is thanks to good education. But this shirt wants to promote that old stereotype that Asians are born calculators.
Srs bsns right hurr!

Yes, actually, I think it is very comedic to compare Asians to computers. They are smart on average, and we know that. The shirt never said they were inhuman.
It pretty much says Asians were born smart. Please, stop overanalyzing it.

Quote:
No, this one is just stupid.
Along with every other thing that depicts a Japanese person with a katana - including the countless times I've seen this in anime? Sure, call it stupid, but it's not offensive.

Quote:
Anytime you are making a list of stereotypes about your Japanese boyfriend's antics you take the risk of delving into racist stereotypes. Unfortunately more than zero items on this list delve into that area.
The thing is, no matter what, there will always be a stereotype, and there will always be someone there to overanalyze it, just as you have here.
If you were to list "He eats fish very often", I could tear it apart and list the countless other things the Japanese eat besides fish. I could even go as far as to say for listing that you are intolerate to fish and find it repulsive and weird compared to your own diet, and are making a racist and offensive comment by listing that, despite the fact that the Japanese do eat a lot of fish.

The shirt isn't the funniest thing in the world. I'm not going to go posting it on Facebook to show off or something. It's cute, and nothing more or less than that.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket View Post
Isn't the case...in your opinion.

You're right racism is there but prejudice is natural for people in general.. and it happens to be everywhere.
Personally, I find the shirt stupid and not funny and people who think it's cool to date a certain race rather...oh what's the right wording, blank minded?

The thing is, those who are prejudice stick to that view no matter what you say or do, it's wrong but it is also a lost battle. There are more important issues to worry about in the world of racism, not dumb teenager style shirts.
I am not sure what you are getting at. It is my opinion, but I am right?

I never think fighting against racism is a lost battle. Older folks might have their opinions cemented, but racism among younger folks is usually rooted more in ignorance than a long history of "experience".

Dealing with it at the "teenager" level is much more valuable than at the geriatric level. Teenagers are smart enough to be able to change their minds.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-12-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
News to me. I have never seen this, heard this, or experienced this. No one has ever offered it, even when eating entirely traditional Japanese meals. I would not say it is widespread, and that's all I meant by the fact it fails as a stereotype. I'm positive the majority of my students would find eating raw meat to be... unappetising at least.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
How so? From what I gathered, it meant the Japanese say something like "He is student" instead of "He is the student". Maybe it's just me, but that sounds a bit like bad English.
It sounds a lot like "bad English" and apparently it is incomprehensible to Japanese.

Are you going to force me to explain myself again?

Quote:
Srs bsns right hurr!

Yes, actually, I think it is very comedic to compare Asians to computers. They are smart on average, and we know that. The shirt never said they were inhuman.
It pretty much says Asians were born smart. Please, stop overanalyzing it.
Yes, the shirt removed their humanity with the word "innate". If it had said "Thanks to my boyfriend's education, he is like a human calculator"...which is more accurate (maybe...certainly simply being Asian does not make a person smart or like a calculator) but is less "funny" (in disparaging Asians way).

I am sorry you think it is funny to compare Asians to computers. I know many Asians that are offended by this comparison...(especially as children living in the US).

Quote:
Along with every other thing that depicts a Japanese person with a katana - including the countless times I've seen this in anime? Sure, call it stupid, but it's not offensive.
It is stupid, as I said, but put yourself in the shoes of a Japanese who has been asked how many samurai swords he owns.

Sometimes the person saying it makes a difference.

Yes, it is not a racist call to arms, but it is based on nothing but ignorant stereotypes.

Quote:
The thing is, no matter what, there will always be a stereotype, and there will always be someone there to overanalyze it, just as you have here.
If you were to list "He eats fish very often", I could tear it apart and list the countless other things the Japanese eat besides fish. I could even go as far as to say for listing that you are intolerate to fish and find it repulsive and weird compared to your own diet, and are making a racist and offensive comment by listing that, despite the fact that the Japanese do eat a lot of fish.

The shirt isn't the funniest thing in the world. I'm not going to go posting it on Facebook to show off or something. It's cute, and nothing more or less than that.
We can work to support stereotypes or work to try and eliminate them. I feel comfortable working to eliminate them. I hope you are comfortable doing what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
News to me. I have never seen this, heard this, or experienced this. No one has ever offered it, even when eating entirely traditional Japanese meals. I would not say it is widespread, and that's all I meant by the fact it fails as a stereotype. I'm positive the majority of my students would find eating raw meat to be... unappetising at least.
In my experience it is very rare, and I doubt that was what the shirt was referring to.
Closed Thread