JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

02-17-2010, 11:52 PM

While the dying success of arcades is being discussed, I sort of brainstormed on what would attract me to an arcade in this day-and-age...

I have no idea of the legal or financial implications, so bear with me if this sounds extremely ignorant... but, I think some sort of mini-bar or mini restaurant would keep an arcade fairly popular, even now. Not like the dirty, cheap kinds from Chucky Cheeses but something appropriately designed for teenagers looking to hang-out.

I know, personally, that kind of place would appeal to me and my friends.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Halfly off topic but is purikura like, digitally remaking yourself like Gaia or something?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-18-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
While the dying success of arcades is being discussed, I sort of brainstormed on what would attract me to an arcade in this day-and-age...

I have no idea of the legal or financial implications, so bear with me if this sounds extremely ignorant... but, I think some sort of mini-bar or mini restaurant would keep an arcade fairly popular, even now. Not like the dirty, cheap kinds from Chucky Cheeses but something appropriately designed for teenagers looking to hang-out.

I know, personally, that kind of place would appeal to me and my friends.
I think you would have to have this...and places I know around here that have video games also serve burgers and fries and have soft drinks and even beer for sale. They also have pool tables and air hockey. (I am not sure how they serve beer where teens are allowed...maybe the alcohol is only served in a 21 and over area).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Halfly off topic but is purikura like, digitally remaking yourself like Gaia or something?

It's like a mini-photo studio and for about 4 dollars you can take a pic (or a few) with a friend and then add hearts and stars and whatever digitally. Not sure about Gaia, though.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-18-2010, 03:58 AM

I`m a bit late, but I`ll add my opinion. My husband manages the systems for a fairly large arcade company chain, so I may know a little bit more than average.

Quote:
Also, about game centers dying in Japan. The only ones that are dying are the ones that catered to little kid games. The more mature ones, from what I understand, are still doing just fine. There are still about 100x more arcades in japan than in the US.
Maybe 10~15 years ago...

Stand alone arcades are disappearing in Japan. About 10 years ago we knew of 8 standing in a relatively small area around my husband`s university. Now only one is still around, and is looking like it would die if they didn`t have a sort of self-serve cafe attached to it. It has filled up with the huge multi-player games, and old men come in after work for a round of virtual horse racing or the like. Other times it is pretty much empty.

Quote:
Purikura isn't really a game and I'm really trying to attract gamers. Plus I don't even really think that would do well in an arcade, isn't that something for a mall?
In Japan, most current arcades ARE in the mall. Or at least as a part of some other facility - like a floor in a bowling or pool hall, etc.

The only arcades that are surviving are following a fairly straight system. Kiddie games with cards or chips in the very front with one or two display games in a prominent position (Taiko no Tatsujin is a common one), candy catchers behind them, then an area of UFO catchers. Purikura is losing popularity in general, so isn`t a money-maker these days. A few machines will be at the side, but that`s about it. Behind those you get the body movement games (standing shooters, music games, etc) then a mix of driving and sit down games. Usually in the back, often with screens up against the walls, you`ll find the large multi player simulation games.
This is assuming the arcade is in a normal location like a mall or part of some other entertainment venue. Things change when it`s stand alone, because in general lighter gamers don`t go to an arcade - but they might play something if they pass one in a mall.

These days regular arcade games are the loss leaders. There aren`t many hardcore arcade gamers out there, and even fewer who might be female.
In terms of employee to game machine involvement - if the arcade is a popular one the multi-player ones can give the greatest returns. But in general the most money is made on UFO catchers. They require the most work to keep up and running though.

My personal opinion...

You`re not going to get many girl gamers, no matter how hard to try. It`s a noble ideal, perhaps, but you need to make money... And gearing a place toward attracting maybe 5% of the arcade gamer population is not going to do that.
Even in Japan, girls rarely play any actual games. Even back in the arcade heyday it was pretty much unheard of (and I went to an all girls high school, in Japan, and passed by an arcade every day). The reason people notice girls playing games and take videos of them, etc, is because they ARE so incredibly rare.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Sounds a lot like you're going to have to think about diversifying. It's like farming in the UK; if the dairy market is collapsing, start thinking about tourism. I think definitly an arcade that offers more than a mere place to play games would do better; that social aspect that Jay was talking about.

Couldn't you also host events?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ArcadeOperator (Offline)
New to JF

02-18-2010, 06:36 PM

I really appreciate all of your guys (and girls ) input so far.

From what it sounds like, I was very misinformed about the girl gamer situation in Japan and I should totally give up my ideas for attracting girls because it's not going happen regardless how much I try. The girl gamer demographic isn't going to show up at an arcade for any reason.

Sign, discouraging, but oh well my place will just have to work with 99% males like every other arcade. I'm confident I can still be successful with just this demographic.

As for your other ideas about me diversifying, yes that's how I originally intended to run this place. Even though I want it to mainly be an Arcade, it will really be just a hang out place for 18-30 demographic with pool tables, alcohol (beer), tables and couches, wifi and such. Maybe about 2/3 of the space dedicated to arcade games and 1/3 of the space dedicated to pool tables.