JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

China giving up its status as top US creditor to Japan - 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM

China giving up its status as top US creditor to Japan;
Bad news for the U.S, maybe for Japan too. So it begins.
Japan Overtakes China as Largest Holder of Treasuries (Update1) - Bloomberg.com
12月対米長期証券投資:買越額半減、中国の売却が響く( Update2) - Bloomberg.co.jp
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-18-2010, 07:33 PM

oh well not like everyone didnt see this coming and if people didnt then they are blind. I do have ever confidence that the US will eventually pull itself out of the slump that it got itself into and be stronger for it if it learns its lesson. But it will take years and there will be a lot of tough times ahead. I hate when people automatically assume the country is going to fall into the deepest level of hell. Americans power may be declining on some fronts but imo it would be nice if another country stepped in to pick up the slack on world issues. We will see how China handles it rising economic boom there is a risk and i read the Chinese are getting ready to revalue their currency.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
oh well not like everyone didnt see this coming and if people didnt then they are blind. I do have ever confidence that the US will eventually pull itself out of the slump that it got itself into and be stronger for it if it learns its lesson. But it will take years and there will be a lot of tough times ahead.
Timothy Geithner sure didn't see it coming and still would probably deny the issues.

I wonder thought when the US begin to pull itself out of the slump though not to mention the time to recover. I don't see how its possible besides generations of recovery.

Quote:
I hate when people automatically assume the country is going to fall into the deepest level of hell. Americans power may be declining on some fronts but imo it would be nice if another country stepped in to pick up the slack on world issues. We will see how China handles it rising economic boom there is a risk and i read the Chinese are getting ready to revalue their currency.
People definition of hell varies though.
On the issue of another country stepping up on world issues... yes... yes that would be very nice.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-19-2010, 02:17 AM

It doesn't mean anything, it's just China's way of getting back at Obama for meeting with the Dalai Lama. China has more to lose than anyone else if America's economy is made to suffer, but I also think it's a good signal to the US government to stop spending $10 for every $1 it collects in tax. Maybe this will stop the current push by the Obama administration to raise the debt ceiling yet again (it was raised by $290 billion just a few months ago).

I can't wait for November 2010 and 2012, maybe then we'll get real "change".
(#5 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

02-19-2010, 02:33 AM

I guess many people forgot about banking and stock market reforms in China last year. It has nothing to do with the US government, more like with the Wall Street mishaps.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

02-19-2010, 01:26 PM

The dollar has come up, but only because currency buyers are fleeing from the Euro due to Europe's debt problems.

Ironically enough, you'll get a better deal on a new Nikon where you are, the new retail prices in Japan tend to be 25% higher than in America (or Australia) despite the weakness of their dollars. Best deals are in Hong Kong or Singapore.

I've pretty much stopped using my D300 since I got my Leica. I'm tired of digital, film is much more fun. I may trade the D300 in for a D700 or D3, it would be nice to have a full-frame camera to go with my old AIS lenses.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

02-19-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
You mean like fighting "terrorism" in the Middle East?

"The Devil crept into Heaven, God overslept on the 7th. The New World Order was born on September 11"

Tech ftw lol.
No i dont mean Terrorism but America has its hands in to many parts of the world some good some bad. More often than not we sacrifice the well being of Americans for those abroad. What i want is to see more nations taking on responsibility. Natural disasters in other countries, Reigning in nations that do not have peaceful means ect ect. i would like to see more nations take a step and negotiating with countries that may be odds with world powers. In other words i want more cooperation and not so much put on Americas shoulders, granted we have done a lot of it to yourself but some of it is just how it works when youre superpower.

China and the US's economies are so deeply entwined these little spats every now and then dont really concern me that much. The media also *cough Fox News cough* likes to take a situation and portray it as 1000 worse than it really is. No one can predict the future all we can do is wait and see what happens and see how China handles its economic growth. I would prefer to see greater cooperation than the two countries sniping at each other.

China did let a could of US Navy ships to dock so in a way thats a good sign.

@ clintjm I do agree with you that time to recover and for real growth to start will take generations. But over time things will start to improve little by little. In my area we are already seeing signs of recovery. Its not super fast but it steady however where i live there are always jobs available but more so for people with degrees and high education. Im hoping that Americans have learned their lessons with relying on credit for all situations and start a method of saving and spending to spur economic growth. Im not even going to talk about Wallstreet because of what i would like to do to some of those people and the shady CEO's of numerous financial institutions. They are lucky Americans didnt go on a witch hunt for them with pitchforks and torches.

Last edited by Sinestra : 02-19-2010 at 02:20 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
China and the US's economies are so deeply entwined these little spats every now and then dont really concern me that much. The media also *cough Fox News cough* likes to take a situation and portray it as 1000 worse than it really is. No one can predict the future all we can do is wait and see what happens and see how China handles its economic growth. I would prefer to see greater cooperation than the two countries sniping at each other.
Sure it would be great the US and China can hold hands and sing economically, but the reality of it is with the difference between the two governments, it will truley never happen on any true scale. China has not got the US true best interests at heart in the end.

Sure you can blame fox news for reporting the facts and watch the breaking news on Tiger woods if you want, but at the same time the administration is not helping by strangling growth, while patting themselves on the back. Businesses don't want to hire or expand because they don't know what is coming next as far as regulation and taxes from the government. The Chinese government doesn't regulate Chinese businesses a fraction that we are seeing in the US recently, which is a major reason for their continued economic growth. The Chinese would never agree to the cap and trade regulation on the rise here; they laugh at the current US administration for its distaste of any type of "profit".

Quote:
@ clintjm I do agree with you that time to recover and for real growth to start will take generations. But over time things will start to improve little by little. In my area we are already seeing signs of recovery. Its not super fast but it steady however where i live there are always jobs available but more so for people with degrees and high education. Im hoping that Americans have learned their lessons with relying on credit for all situations and start a method of saving and spending to spur economic growth. Im not even going to talk about Wallstreet because of what i would like to do to some of those people and the shady CEO's of numerous financial institutions. They are lucky Americans didnt go on a witch hunt for them with pitchforks and torches.
Its too early to celebrate as usual. The celebration of a .03% in employment is nothing as it bounces back at the next check. And any signs of recovery is only temporary as we have seen continuously. People see these reports, see the government pat themselves on the back, celebrating, raising taxes, see their or their neighbors situations. Is this the environment that inspires economic growth?

Its a combination of things. People with a feeling of entitlement; people who don't understand basic usages of credit; people who are just living beyond their means. Why would these people have learned their lessons when their is always a bailout?

Its nice your part of the country that jobs are always available you are one of the few. I just watched a company just do 600 layoffs to their IT department. I just watched a state deficit grow and raise taxes.
You don't raise taxes in a mess such as this. You don't tax, increase regulation and grow government; do what was done in the late 70s and get the explosion of growth like was seen in the 80s.

The problem is things aren't really changing. We are already repeating the mortgage bubble as we speak.

Pitchforks and torches is not what the American people are about. Just continue to enforce the laws that exist, adjust and amend as needed by a majority vote. Prosecute through the courts.

Jobs bill.... HAAA!

Annyway... I think it says a lot that China is losing a taste for American T-bills.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

02-19-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
Sure it would be great the US and China can hold hands and sing economically, but the reality of it is with the difference between the two governments, it will truley never happen on any true scale. China has not got the US true best interests at heart in the end.

Sure you can blame fox news for reporting the facts and watch the breaking news on Tiger woods if you want, but at the same time the administration is not helping by strangling growth, while patting themselves on the back. Businesses don't want to hire or expand because they don't know what is coming next as far as regulation and taxes from the government. The Chinese government doesn't regulate Chinese businesses a fraction that we are seeing in the US recently, which is a major reason for their continued economic growth. The Chinese would never agree to the cap and trade regulation on the rise here; they laugh at the current US administration for its distaste of any type of "profit".

Its too early to celebrate as usual. The celebration of a .03% in employment is nothing as it bounces back at the next check. And any signs of recovery is only temporary as we have seen continuously. People see these reports, see the government pat themselves on the back, celebrating, raising taxes, see their or their neighbors situations. Is this the environment that inspires economic growth?

Its a combination of things. People with a feeling of entitlement; people who don't understand basic usages of credit; people who are just living beyond their means. Why would these people have learned their lessons when their is always a bailout?

Its nice your part of the country that jobs are always available you are one of the few. I just watched a company just do 600 layoffs to their IT department. I just watched a state deficit grow and raise taxes.
You don't raise taxes in a mess such as this. You don't tax, increase regulation and grow government; do what was done in the late 70s and get the explosion of growth like was seen in the 80s.

The problem is things aren't really changing. We are already repeating the mortgage bubble as we speak.

Pitchforks and torches is not what the American people are about. Just continue to enforce the laws that exist, adjust and amend as needed by a majority vote. Prosecute through the courts.

Jobs bill.... HAAA!

Annyway... I think it says a lot that China is losing a taste for American T-bills.
I see what you saying by nature i tend to be more optimistic about matters than most. What i see are a lot of predictions about what might be but no one really knows except for what deficit will most likely be. It does not help that my patience with the entire governement is about gone. I dont give a damn if yoru a Republican or a Democrat but to me it looks like none of these people know how to govern a country and refuse to work together to tackle serious problems. Its a joke to see elected leader of late and their behavior if i have to read one more article about the tea party moments im going to scream. Do I consider China a serous problem yes and no i agree with you China does not have Americans best interest at heart its not surprise to me that they have lost there taste for the T-Bills. They are looking out for themselves the bottom line all countries look out for themselves and their citizens. I do agree with you that the US and China will never sit down as best buddies over a cup of tea its not going to happen but we still need each other. China still have a couple of million people they need to pull into the middle class and thats not happening anytime soon.

I dislike Fox news for a number of reasons its a constant topic in the DC-metro area. I dont care for news about celebrities as i dont watch a lot of tv to begin with and think celebrity news should be left to E.

time are tough and are only going to get tougher we need to get Americans back to work and our government just doesn't seem to know how to do this.