JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Does your local grocery sell sushi?
No, there is nothing even close. 29 23.97%
No, but all the ingredients are sold so I can make my own. 14 11.57%
Yes, but only non raw versions. (Canned tuna, cucumber rolls, smoked salmon, etc) 25 20.66%
Yes, they sell raw types. 42 34.71%
Yes! They even sell the most "exotic" like raw octopus! 11 9.09%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-24-2010, 10:24 AM

I think all the major supermarkets round here sell little packages of sushi. Normally veggie maki rolls and california rolls; it varies a lot in quality and even then it's not a patch on the stuff you can get in a supermarket in Japan. Best stuff is about Yo-Sushi quality (so still rather shoddy) and worst is cardboardy and greenish looking. I never buy it unless there's inari zushi and it looks spanking fresh. They're usually ok.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

02-24-2010, 04:02 PM

There is a sushi bar that I visited a couple of years ago that I thought was fairly close to what you might find in Japan. A majority of the staff there where Japanese, speaking Japanese, making all the sushi by hand. They also served tempura and miso soup, among a few other things -- though I'm not sure if they typically do this in Japan -- I just thought I'd mention it.

My step father used to visit the place a lot with some of his Japanese friends, whom were born in Japan.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

02-24-2010, 09:02 PM

They sell packed sushi here but I never tried it, so I can't tell does it tastes good or not. They also sell all the ingredients (even makisu and nori) which all are from Japan in exotics section for all the gourmet-cook-wanabes.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
reihiino (Offline)
The North Remembers

02-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes. Safeway. Its not the best though.

s the 10th doctor
s Verbal & Taku
(#25 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-27-2010, 11:32 PM

South of England is not that adventurous with food!!
Only the big supermarkets sell sushi and I'm pretty sure its not restaurant fresh!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#26 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-28-2010, 05:17 AM

MMM, Kroger is the parent company of Fred Meyer. Here in the pacific NW we have Fred Meyer and most other places have Kroger.

I live north of Seattle and the grocery stores here have sushi packaged similarly to what you would find in a Japanese market. However in the big chain stores, it is usually limited to amaebi, maguro, hirame, and salmon nigiri as well as maki sushi. It isn't of very good quality. You can tell it has been frozen multiple times by looking at it and the texture of the fish is severely degraded and is of similar quality to most of the fast food type teriyaki restraunts. I don't eat it and tell my coworkers to avoid it because we have much better choices. The stores also don't usually have the neccesary ingredients to make your own sushi.

In additon to the large chains that carry sushi there are two local chains that have full japanese groceries. One is a dedicated Japanese grocery store and the other is a gourmet market focused on selling local produce and meat as well as foods for the large asian population. Both of these places sell good quality sushi of all varieties using all the toppings common to sushi in Japan.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

02-28-2010, 06:21 AM

My local grocery store doesnt sell sushi. But about 30 min are stores that do. which is sorta close.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-05-2010, 07:34 AM

No, and the thought of stale, drowned sushi makes me puke. Give me real sushi or nothing. I gorged on it throughout last year to the point of putting hot sauce on it, but it's still good every once in a while. Now my hot sauce is reverted to the appropriate meals only, it was getting nuts that I thought about putting hot peppers on cake. Besides, some say overdoing fish is bad due to the mercury factor so it's good to cleanse the palate, I think.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
Besides, some say overdoing fish is bad due to the mercury factor so it's good to cleanse the palate, I think.
If you are eating pounds of fish a day, then I think you can worry about mercury intake.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Of course it does.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org