JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Does your local grocery sell sushi?
No, there is nothing even close. 29 23.97%
No, but all the ingredients are sold so I can make my own. 14 11.57%
Yes, but only non raw versions. (Canned tuna, cucumber rolls, smoked salmon, etc) 25 20.66%
Yes, they sell raw types. 42 34.71%
Yes! They even sell the most "exotic" like raw octopus! 11 9.09%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
Does your local grocery sell sushi? - 02-24-2010, 12:22 AM

Does your local grocery sell sushi? I have been hearing from various people in the US that there is sushi sold everywhere these days, so I am a bit curious. Back last time I visited, there was "sushi" in the way of canned tuna rolled up in rice and seaweed - but nothing more.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Does your local grocery sell sushi? I have been hearing from various people in the US that there is sushi sold everywhere these days, so I am a bit curious. Back last time I visited, there was "sushi" in the way of canned tuna rolled up in rice and seaweed - but nothing more.
Yes, most of the grocery stores around me sell some form of sushi.

Generally is is made fresh in a special section of the deli, is made by an Asian person who is not Japanese, and it is inexpensive and pretty bland.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

02-24-2010, 12:37 AM

We have a food Co-op that I'm sure sells Sushi, probably with both cooked and raw fish. The University I attend also has an "Asian" food place in the food court that makes their own fresh Sushi everyday. We also have a new Japanese restaurant that sells fresh Sushi that is beautifully decorated.

I'm a vegetarian so I cannot comment on the taste of any of them, and I didn't particularly like Sushi when I did eat fish either =/
(#4 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

02-24-2010, 12:38 AM

Yes, but it is not raw and not very good. My local store has started coating their sushi in way too many sesame seeds, so I just don't buy it anymore. I would rather put aside more time and more money and go to an actual sushi restaurant.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
02-24-2010, 01:05 AM

My local grocery store hardly sells the basic food necessities. But I do know Kroger sells sushi, and I always have to make a special trip to the nearest one to get some whenever I'm out of town. By my standards, it's pretty damn good.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-24-2010, 01:21 AM

Yep, they sell dumplings, kelp salad, sashimi and sushi cooked and raw.

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#7 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
02-24-2010, 01:52 AM

Nope, but even if they did I wouldn't buy it from there. There are barely any Asian people here. Hardly anyone in my area cares about having good sushi. I always have to go to the next city over to get good sushi.

All there is, is the products used to make it here. I just go to the restaurant in Cordova, tn.

Rest in peace Kyle <3
(#8 (permalink))
Old
hitotsz (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-24-2010, 02:18 AM

yes, it is kind of expensive though. it is probably a Korean franchise, seeing as the fish-less sushi have label on them 'kimbop' or (김밥).

also i noticed that a lot of sushi restaurants are done by Koreans.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-24-2010, 03:16 AM

Kroger Sushi, California Rolls, Tempira, Dumplings, eel, tuna, maybe something unidentible, and spicy and cheese california rolls (What I call them)

They also sell Pocky (Chocolate and strawberry) and at anAisan market I can find Marashi dango!

Anybody know where you can find Taiyaki here in Texas? Preferrably Houston . . .It seems rare and as childish as it sounds Anime got me interested . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-24-2010, 03:37 AM

I don't mean to go off topic but I feel this whole "sushi craze" outside of Japan is essentially over-rated.

I've been talking to many people (mainly North Americans and some Europeans and non-Japan Asians) about the "sushi" they eat. So much of what is available as "sushi" outside of Japan, I wouldn't call as such as a Japanese person.

Canned tuna, hot pepper, hot sauce, cream cheese, long-grain rice, stir-fried vegetables, fruit, kimchee, etc...

Just leave sushi to the real fish lover for once! I really don't care what they like to eat. I just wish they didn't call everything that comes with cold rice "sushi".