JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

[Question] Japanese universities for foreign students - 03-01-2010, 05:53 AM

Like the topic says, I'm looking for a japanese (international?) university for an undergraduate degree. (Anything related to Foreign affairs / International Relations / Language Programs / And so so.)

My main target was the IUJ (International University of Japan) but it seems like I have to reduce my options since IUJ only takes Pos-graduates.

So here I am asking for advices and experiences.

- Are there any International Universities in Japan who accept undergraduates?
- class's in English, Japanese or both?
- Are there any admission exams regarding my Japanese language level?

It's all for now. I would really appreciate some help!

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JTM (Offline)
おしゃべり野郎

06-19-2010, 05:29 AM

The most well known foreign language university in Japan is Sophia University/Jochi Daigaku located in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward. They have classes both in English and Japanese and accept undergraduates.

They are expensive however and your estimated cost just for *Freshman* year alone according to them will be the following (in Yen):

Entrance Fee 270,000 (once at matriculation)
Tuition Fee (assuming 31 credits: 31X30,100) 933,100
Building & Maintenance Fee 180,000
Laboratory Fee 19,500
Correspondance Fee (Including Consumption Taxes) 5,300
Orientation Fee 17,600 (once at matriculation)
Alumni Association Fee 5,000
Health Insurance Fee 2,500
Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education
and Research 2,550 (for a 4-year period)
Total fees for freshmen 1,435,550.00 JPY = 16,129.78 USD

This doesn't even cover your living costs and lodging.

In addition you will need a financial/general guarantor (typically a Japanese resident sponsor) before you will even be considered for enrollment.

This is true for any college, university or vocational school you are considering in Japan.

Here's their website:
Sophia University English Site| Sophia University Official Website

ICU or Internation Christian University would be the other well known alternative and has both English and Japanese classes but they too are also expensive and the same rules apply.

Here's their website:
ICU International Christian University

Unless money is no object and you can shoulder the expenses involved you may want to reconsider and possibly finish your education in Portugal first and then travel to Japan on vacation/business travel to check things out then you can see about post-graduate courses or perhaps exchange programs.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-19-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM View Post
The most well known foreign language university in Japan is Sophia University/Jochi Daigaku located in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward. They have classes both in English and Japanese and accept undergraduates.

They are expensive however and your estimated cost just for *Freshman* year alone according to them will be the following (in Yen):

Entrance Fee 270,000 (once at matriculation)
Tuition Fee (assuming 31 credits: 31X30,100) 933,100
Building & Maintenance Fee 180,000
Laboratory Fee 19,500
Correspondance Fee (Including Consumption Taxes) 5,300
Orientation Fee 17,600 (once at matriculation)
Alumni Association Fee 5,000
Health Insurance Fee 2,500
Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education
and Research 2,550 (for a 4-year period)
Total fees for freshmen 1,435,550.00 JPY = 16,129.78 USD

This doesn't even cover your living costs and lodging.

In addition you will need a financial/general guarantor (typically a Japanese resident sponsor) before you will even be considered for enrollment.

This is true for any college, university or vocational school you are considering in Japan.

Here's their website:
Sophia University English Site| Sophia University Official Website

ICU or Internation Christian University would be the other well known alternative and has both English and Japanese classes but they too are also expensive and the same rules apply.

Here's their website:
ICU International Christian University

Unless money is no object and you can shoulder the expenses involved you may want to reconsider and possibly finish your education in Portugal first and then travel to Japan on vacation/business travel to check things out then you can see about post-graduate courses or perhaps exchange programs.
Thanks alot for the information!

Looks quite expensive, but I can shoulder the expenses. (my parents deposited money since I was 1 month old - Now I'm 19 and I have over 30,000 euros there for school/health expenses)

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-19-2010, 12:36 PM

I've recently been accepted to Temple University, Japan, located in Tokyo. It's a branch campus of Temple University, Philadelphia USA, but it's a very international school. There are plenty of undergraduate degree programs to choose from. Classes are in English unless they're specific language classes. I don't think I could explain the school's pitch better than themselves, so here's a link.

Temple University, Japan Campus

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#5 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-19-2010, 10:51 PM

That's pretty good O_O Way to go!!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.