JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Only one school I attended (British) required a uniform, and one or two employers have also.

Yes, it tends to be depressing when you cannot tailor your look to fit your mood. On the other hand, getting ready to leave for school or work is SO much simpler.

More schools in the U.S. are going toward uniforms because of difficulty enforcing even reasonable dress codes. Studies have show that it does improve performance, though the reasons vary. Perhaps it narrows the focus to the tasks at hand instead of appearance, or makes people feel more like they are on a even playing field.

As for stifling creativity or expression, it really doesn't. It can highlight both, just in different media that apparel. When one cannot express creativity in one media it invariably seeks an outlet elsewhere..... writing, painting, theatre.... it will find expression somewhere.

And I have noticed with my neices that their wardrobe when not in school has become far more interesting now that they have to wear uniforms to school. And they are much happier because their parents are more willing to give them the money and freedoom to make their chosen fashion statements outside of school.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.