JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ApolloniaSix (Offline)
New to JF

The Nostalgic - 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Although I am going to be only a mere 21 years old, I find that Japanese culture, mostly from anime, manga, games, and a few movies here or there has become a nostalgic element in my life. I look back on when I truly indulged in Japanese culture and slavered at the thought of finding some new anime through which I could explore my own psyche and possibly get at a better understanding of my maturing self.

I was wondering if anyone else attaches nostalgic meaning to their current and perhaps even former interest in what was listed above or even something else entirely.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Thumbs up 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Every time I think about wandering around Midgar in Final Fantasy VII!!!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-09-2010, 02:44 PM

I think there's a difference between being nostalgic because it's japanese and nostalgic because it's part of your past. I can get nostalgic about Sailor Moon, but only because it aired when I was young and it was one of my favourite shows; nothing to do with japan; it just brings back memories of fun times at sleepovers and so forth. A lot of people get nostalgic about anime and games in that way.

On the other hand, i get nostalgic about Japan anytime I come across a certain perfume because I bought a bottle in Japan and it was one I wore whilst I lived there, even though it's not a japanese brand. Same with yellow bicycles and Kaluha with milk.