JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RobertH (Offline)
New to JF

Language school - 03-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Hi all,

I'm interested in studying Japanese in Kyoto.
I have been there once and I think it's a beautiful city.

I researched on the internet and I've found a school which seems interesting.
The name is Kyoto Minsai Japanese Language School. They offer various courses. This is their website:
Kyoto Minsai Japanese Language School

My questions are:
Does anyone have studied there? Can someone recommend this school? What do you think about this website?

Or do you have experiences with other language schools in Kyoto? If yes which one? How was it?

Thank you very much,

RobertH
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JTM (Offline)
おしゃべり野郎

06-19-2010, 01:06 AM

Have you downloaded and read through their school information?

Your fees will be (in yen):

Application fee 31,500

1st Year
Admission 52,500
Tuition 630,000
Materials 31,500
Facility Expenses 42,000
Total 756,000

2nd Year
Tuition 630,000
Materials 31,500
Facility Expenses 42,000
Total 703,500

It looks like you have to take 2 years minimum so you're looking at 1,491,000.00 JPY = $16,752.81 USD in school fees alone. This does not include your living expenses and lodging. You also need a financial guarantor who I also assume will also be your general guarantor (a Japanese resident). The forms also states that you need to submit a Purpose of Study document and that you and your guarantor be available for an interview prior to your acceptance.

This is a lot of money to invest on just a learning experience and not for career goals.

I'm sure other language schools or vocational institutes will have similar requirements and fees.

You might want to consider other options. Here's a website with some information although I don't know if it is up-to-date as some of the cost projections seem a bit conservative and some suggestions seem a bit overly optimistic:

Study Japanese Abroad in Japan

Last edited by JTM : 06-19-2010 at 04:09 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LelouchviBritannia (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to LelouchviBritannia Send a message via Skype™ to LelouchviBritannia
Don't waste your money... - 06-19-2010, 07:27 AM

There are PLENTY of (FREE) online resources, or even Rosetta Stone (for a fraction of that tuition price).

If you count the days I've been studying Japanese by hours I've spent less than 12 hours and I can say basic words/write simple phrases/write simple sentences. I've finished Hiragana, moving to Katakana next then tackling Kanji.

All you'd really need is a base and an SRS, there are people who have studied in schools for years and can barely speak compared to the amount of YEARS invested.

I know a guy who took to the online method and, no lie, learned to speak NATIVE-LEVEL Japanese in just 4 months. He now lives and works in Japan, he's in his 20's and started at 23. No he's no genius...just a regular guy who took learning Japanese seriously.

Let me know if you're interested I could point you towards some sources.

Good luck with everything.

Your King,
Lelouch vi Britannia
(#4 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

06-19-2010, 10:53 PM

I'm interested! I can use all of the learning sources I can get

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.