(#11 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-26-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
They already have search engines that are huge over in China and according to all the Chinese I've spoken to, they were used a lot more than they ever used google!

Three main search engines!

baidu
sogou
soso
I said comparable. By that I meant open and able to search all public documetns on the internet. No matter what subject you were searching on Google, Bing, etc. you would find the most current and/or widely read posts on the issue, regardless of their origin.

I would expect that on any of those three a search on "Mao Zedong" would have considerably skewed responses and there are many western authors that would not show at all.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I said comparable. By that I meant open and able to search all public documetns on the internet. No matter what subject you were searching on Google, Bing, etc. you would find the most current and/or widely read posts on the issue, regardless of their origin.

I would expect that on any of those three a search on "Mao Zedong" would have considerably skewed responses and there are many western authors that would not show at all.
Ok, fair enough. I misunderstood since you wrote about building the search engine.

As for the most current and or widely read posts, that's not exactly how google and all these other search engines work, but that's a totally different topic. I will say this though, there is a measure of control from Google and such on search results! However, it gets labelled as a brother of parental control, and not an infringement of freedom of speech/civil rights/whatever else people use to describe China's firewall!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
No, they can't. They will encounter the same issues with other western owned companies until they build their own internal search engine that is comparable.
I’d assume that, even if the service/ business is locally owned when contrasted with what they were originally using, it would be considered as taking their business elsewhere. But that is semantics so I’m just being picky with this argument.

Quote:
Google didn't really lose, they just failed to gain. That isn't the same thing. And despite that set back in their business plan, no major competitor is stepping into the breach yet.
I’m not sure I understand. Could you clarify this further?
As far as I’ve understood the situation, google was already an established service in China, that means they were raking in some amount of revenue from advertisements and other forms of google/web related income. By shutting down their services due to moral implications they have already eliminated all prospects of profit that would have come from China. In other words, every time someone doesn’t click on a google ad, (who would have otherwise done so) it would be considered a loss for google.
So I’m basically having a hard time understanding how they don’t lose, but instead, failed to gain when they've eliminated China's userbase from the equation.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-27-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
A lot, especially those abroad, believe that if the people of China were to learn everything about the governments actions and the world outside, there would be civil unrest in China which would hugely disrupt the countries "rise to power" on the global scale! Many of these Chinese reference previous empires and global powers as proof. The majority of the worlds global powers in the past reached their status through some sort of dictatorship regime. Whether it was a monarchy or other! So for now, a lot of Chinese have HUGE problems with their government, but they still symphathise because they do see how life is improving and how China is becoming more and more important in the world!
Yeah, like I mentioned, there's a growing middle class, people are going to prioritize material quality of life above personal liberty. Not that they have much insight on the matter to begin with.

There's no convincing reason to believe that the motivation of the people in power is any different than any other power in history: to maintain power at all costs. And anybody that argues that the party actually knows what they're doing by running a sheeple state sounds as far from convincing as they come. The belief in that "rise to power" philosophy is a house of cards that will fall from power just as fast and perhaps cause much destruction along the way. Maybe even a big, impressive castle of cards, but cards nonetheless. The whole thing would be about as new a concept as religion.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-27-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. I misunderstood since you wrote about building the search engine.

As for the most current and or widely read posts, that's not exactly how google and all these other search engines work, but that's a totally different topic. I will say this though, there is a measure of control from Google and such on search results! However, it gets labelled as a brother of parental control, and not an infringement of freedom of speech/civil rights/whatever else people use to describe China's firewall!
But google isn't in charge of blocking youtube, twitter, facebook, and pretty much any free flow of information. Even the Chinese will tell you their closed internet isn't meant to inform, only entertain. Right now, it's not of much consequence (to outsiders), but the world will care when the brown hits the fan with this sheeple state if and when it "rises to power". For now, enjoy your bonbons and your cheap Chinese made goods.

Oh and it doesn't matter if google lost or "didn't gain". They were already losing due to the rigidity of the environment in that market. I seriously doubt the decision to leave was purely ideological. But it was a nice side effect.

Last edited by xyzone : 03-27-2010 at 03:12 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
frogman (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Google is leaving because it refused to abide by Chinese laws, a behavior that will not be tolerated in any sovereign country.Neither will it be in China, neither should it be in China.

despite Google's intention to violate Chinese laws, Chinese authority has not taken any essential action like forcing Google to leave China. On the contrary, the officials expressed hope for Google staying in China on the condition of abiding by the law. It is Google's own decision to leave China
(#17 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman View Post
Google is leaving because it refused to abide by Chinese laws, a behavior that will not be tolerated in any sovereign country.Neither will it be in China, neither should it be in China.
Duh. The point is Chinese laws blow dung chunks out a potato cannon and so do many of the consequences and potential consequences of them.

Quote:
despite Google's intention to violate Chinese laws, Chinese authority has not taken any essential action like forcing Google to leave China. On the contrary, the officials expressed hope for Google staying in China on the condition of abiding by the law. It is Google's own decision to leave China
They essentially took action to force Google out, if not essential action.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Btw, in perfect fairness, let's consider what happens when a dumb public gets led on by a powerful government. Vietnam, (and the current situations in) Iraq and Afghanistan. I'd hate to think what China would cause with systematic ideological control of the public.

It's all just rainbows and kittens with the agreeable ninnies of society until what went around finally comes around, then they whine like female dogs the loudest. Well, enjoy.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
supernigirisushiboat (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2010, 04:02 AM

most chinese they use baidu,yahoo knowledge,etc etc.i didn't hear much people using google.cn
(#20 (permalink))
Old
jrisjerry (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to jrisjerry Send a message via Skype™ to jrisjerry
04-21-2010, 07:18 AM

Google never quit China at all.
Chinese can use it normally, why many people say Google has quit China market?
How many people think that Chinese people were stupid controled by their govenment?