JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

China V. Google - 03-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Everyone has probably heard of this by now. Google or China: Who Has More to Lose? - Room for Debate Blog - NYTimes.com
Google challenged the Chinese commies and got the boot. It was planned, but they did it anyways.

So what's up with China? Why does the leninist party in total control think that pretending China is a 3rd world country is the right choice? I don't think they can hold on to power forever this way. Then again, the Chinese people seem to be happy enough just to enjoy the new wealth and ignore the "controversy". But how long will that last? The Asia hive mentality is starting to chafe my ass, esp. in this case with all the thinly veiled hostility. I can imagine WW3 whenever I hear about China's government and how the people are totally stupefied with horse blinders on to do its bidding.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2010, 05:23 PM

I think Google ends up loosing.
They're the ones who gain financial revenue through a large user base.
China on the other hand can take their business elsewhere. (Bing, Ask etc)

EDIT: I ignored a political answer on purpose.

Last edited by ModusOperandi : 03-24-2010 at 05:27 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
I think Google ends up loosing.
They're the ones who gain financial revenue through a large user base.
Well, that's certainly the talking points that the lenenists are rationing to their people. Regardless, the Chinese internet market is local while the internet is global and there's much economic consequence to that.

Quote:
EDIT: I ignored a political answer on purpose.
Just as well because China has 0 defense of it's politics in the world of open information.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
03-25-2010, 12:19 AM

China came back at Google a few days ago

Neowin.net - China fires back at Google by blocking Hong Kong search results

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

03-25-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
Well, that's certainly the talking points that the lenenists are rationing to their people. Regardless, the Chinese internet market is local while the internet is global and there's much economic consequence to that.
Yep, its pretty much common sense that Google is the one going at a loss. All the people will lose out on is the convenience of the google search bar.

Quote:
Just as well because China has 0 defense of it's politics in the world of open information.
Don't get me wrong, I don't partake in political debates that I don't have a first hand experience in. For me, any political strife that exists outside my, or my opposition's practical experience is simply a bout of opinions of how a foreign land should/should not govern itself...and nothing more.

So forgive me if I don't humor you in a debate
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Winnie0704 (Offline)
New to JF

google - 03-25-2010, 02:42 AM

obviously, Google was loosing. china is powerful enough to get google out .
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yep, its pretty much common sense that Google is the one going at a loss.
Is it, now?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't partake in political debates that I don't have a first hand experience in.
But you're an expert on international internet markets?

What you're saying contradicts itself and makes no sense.

Quote:
For me, any political strife that exists outside my, or my opposition's practical experience is simply a bout of opinions of how a foreign land should/should not govern itself...and nothing more.
I'm sure that will change if China bombs Taiwan while engaging in organized hacking of the west (which the latter already started). But go ahead and ignore anything outside your city block in the meantime.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No, they can't. They will encounter the same issues with other western owned companies until they build their own internal search engine that is comparable.

They are sure to have the technical expertise to do that, but taking it beyond their borders will encounter similar political censorship issues. The CCP will never allow the free flow of information that the west has come to expect and demand.

Google didn't really lose, they just failed to gain. That isn't the same thing. And despite that set back in their business plan, no major competitor is stepping into the breach yet.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-26-2010, 02:37 PM

Google knew what they were doing and were well aware of the reaction from the Chinese govt. Business aside, I think taking a small stand against an oppressive regime is admirable.

Certainly can't be done from the inside China Bars Scholar From Traveling to U.S. - NYTimes.com Now, I wonder if this lady is going to mysteriously disappear like others have.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
No, they can't. They will encounter the same issues with other western owned companies until they build their own internal search engine that is comparable.
They already have search engines that are huge over in China and according to all the Chinese I've spoken to, they were used a lot more than they ever used google!

Three main search engines!

baidu
sogou
soso

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
You might be right, and you'll probably find that the majority of Chinese that live abroad do agree with you, but you'll also find an alarming amount of people that syphathise/agree with the governments actions. A lot, especially those abroad, believe that if the people of China were to learn everything about the governments actions and the world outside, there would be civil unrest in China which would hugely disrupt the countries "rise to power" on the global scale! Many of these Chinese reference previous empires and global powers as proof. The majority of the worlds global powers in the past reached their status through some sort of dictatorship regime. Whether it was a monarchy or other! So for now, a lot of Chinese have HUGE problems with their government, but they still symphathise because they do see how life is improving and how China is becoming more and more important in the world!

Last edited by noodle : 03-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.