JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Classes in Japanese possible? - 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Ok I am doing a study aboard trip to Japan this August to Ritsumeikan University for one year. Most of the classes I am taking are in English but there are 3 classes I would really like to take that are in Japanese. The tea ceremony, calligraphy and Shamisen. Ritsumeikan - SKP Japanese Traditional Arts

The Tea Ceremony and Shamisen grading is based on attendant and paticipation,(click the link and click on tea ceremony and shamisen to see grading requirements) which I figure I can learn by watching and following what to do.
The calligraphy class however there will be test and quizzes in Japanese, so I am probably not going to be able to take that class. That makes me sad, but
I am also taking a Japanese language class too during the same semester.
Also I am currently teaching myself hiragana and katagana before I go and learning some Japanese words and phrases.

So my question is would it be a good idea to try and take the tea ceremony and Shamisen since they are both taught in Japanese? Has anyone taken the tea ceremony or Shamisen class before? If you have, can you tell me if it would be possible to take with limited Japanese or would it be essential to be fluent in Japanese in order to pass the class?
Thanks in advance
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Are you musically inclined? In my experience in university music classes, they usually aren't intro classes, but are for people that already know how to play the instrument being taught. I am not sure for this case, but it might be worth checking out.

The same could be true for the tea ceremony, as many schools have tea ceremony clubs where students have already practiced.

But I have to say the tea ceremony class might get extremely boring, especially if you do not speak fluently.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are you musically inclined? In my experience in university music classes, they usually aren't intro classes, but are for people that already know how to play the instrument being taught. I am not sure for this case, but it might be worth checking out.

The same could be true for the tea ceremony, as many schools have tea ceremony clubs where students have already practiced.

But I have to say the tea ceremony class might get extremely boring, especially if you do not speak fluently.
Musically inclined? probably not, it would be fun to take but probably not a good ideal, I would like to learn a instrument oh well to that. I went back and read the content on the shamisen, there will be storytelling and going over the history of the instrument all in Japanese, so that would not be a good ideal to take. I just figure I might could learn how to by watching. It is only graded by attendant and participation, but I would like to know about the history and what kinds of songs they are singing about. So the shamisen is out

Tea Ceremony Content/Schedule
"Students will study and practice all aspects of the tea ceremony. Students will learn the proper movements and forms associated with the practice of tea, including how to sip tea and how to eat the sweets served with tea, as well as how to serve tea and how to receive tea as a guest. In addition to learning the basics of the tea ceremony, students will be taken outside the classroom to museums, and to observe tea demonstrations. They will visit the Urasenke estate and its famous Konnichian teahouse, neither of which are open to the public. "

Here it kinda sounds like they are starting at the beginning and just learning the basic. Also on the site it listed under classes alot of past international students have had the opportunity of taking they were studying there,(shamisen also listed) however they do not say whether or not they were fluent in japanese either

I just wanted to maybe try my hand at one of them, the other classes that I am taking in English are interesting but its in a sit down and listen to the teacher talk for an hour environment. Just wanted to try something else, i might still try tea ceremony...
When you were in Japan did you take classes that were japanese and fully or mostly understand what they were saying?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Since the course descriptions are in English, maybe it is worth trying. If I were you I think calligraphy and ceramics would be much more interesting.

I have never studied formally in Japan, but have participated in all these activities as a teacher in high school exchanges. An hour of tea ceremony is more than enough to me, so I really can't imagine taking it for an entire term. The nice thing about calligraphy and ceramics is you can see your progress and have something to show for your work.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-26-2010, 03:32 AM

yeah I really want to take the Calligraphy, but according the class description there will be alot of test and quizzes. I would need to know Japanese inorder to pass the tests. Ceramics? i really suck at ceramics, i mean really suck. I tried in high school almost failed the class xD. I just find out they have a Calligraphy writting club, so I can do calligraphy without worrying about failing the class

The tea ceremony is really that bad? wow you are scary me.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-26-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousee09 View Post
yeah I really want to take the Calligraphy, but according the class description there will be alot of test and quizzes. I would need to know Japanese inorder to pass the tests. Ceramics? i really suck at ceramics, i mean really suck. I tried in high school almost failed the class xD. I just find out they have a Calligraphy writting club, so I can do calligraphy without worrying about failing the class

The tea ceremony is really that bad? wow you are scary me.
Grading Criteria

Regular tests, Attendance, Attitude, Class participation

There will also be a practical exam on the final day of class

I have a feeling (and it is worth asking about) that the grading is not on how much Japanese you know, but on how well you follow your teacher's instructions. Firm academic classes do not grade on attitude, so I wouldn't worry. The fact that it is being offered to non-native students might be an indicator that it is designed for non-native speakers.

If you have a passion for the tea ceremony, then go for it. If you don't, I think you will want quit after a week. I know I would.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-27-2010, 12:51 PM

You know what, I think I just going to for it, I really want to take that calligraphy it might not be that and if it is I can drop it ....I hope I dont tho. Im going to still try the tea ceremony but if it gets too much well I am going to have to drop too, but hopefully they will work with me, i dont want to disappoint them. Thanks MMM
(#8 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-27-2010, 02:37 PM

Tea Ceremony takes several years to do properly and most Americans can't sit on their knees for longer then a few minutes without having pain. I don't want to dissuade you, but you should be very committed if you take this class.
My wife is a Tea Ceremony teacher and she spends several hours a week just practicing to keep her knowledge.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!