JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

How did you learn Japanese? - 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM

I'm finding it harder and harder to memorize random kanji, so I'm asking you who know how to read Japanese, how did you learn it? And how long did it take you to reach proficiency?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-25-2010, 01:30 PM

I began learning from a banker in Tokyo I used to send messages to every day at work. It was in the 70's when faxes and telexes were state-of-the-art communication and he used to send me phonetically written transliterations.

Then in the early '90s I got some excellent one-on-one coaching from my favorite sushi chef.

While that was a very enjoyable way to learn, its not as good as formal classes if you want to learn quickly and well. I could greet people and order my food and drink, but that was about all.

I finally took my first formal class last year.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
03-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Formal lessons and immersing myself in as much Japanese as i can and im still learning. Manga, Jdramas, books, movies, music (although not a great way to learn) just training my ear to get use to hear japanese.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-25-2010, 11:11 PM

I did not ever memorize random kanji once I started learning on my own. I only memorized new vocabulary words (with their kanjis). I also got myself an electronic dictionary, and I started playing familiar RPGs in Japanese, and I kept a notebook with every new word I came across, and would look over the words in the notebook when I had some spare moments (I think it had over 3000 words in it..) a lot of work, but it did the trick.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
I did not ever memorize random kanji once I started learning on my own. I only memorized new vocabulary words (with their kanjis). I also got myself an electronic dictionary, and I started playing familiar RPGs in Japanese, and I kept a notebook with every new word I came across, and would look over the words in the notebook when I had some spare moments (I think it had over 3000 words in it..) a lot of work, but it did the trick.
Seconded. Minus the electronic dictionary. I'm broke.

My girlfriend teaches me everyday, and I use Japanese newspaper, television, radio, books, video games, iPhone applications, and other reference material, and using the same method as you, write down every new word.

猿も木から落ちる
(#6 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-26-2010, 01:09 AM

I'm in what might be called "formal lessons" As far as Kanji, I don't know that much, but I can recognize them MUCH easier than writing.

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.