JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
einsteinium (Offline)
New to JF

japanese sea mysteries - 03-29-2010, 02:11 AM

The Devil's Sea (魔の海, Ma no Umi?), also known as the Dragon's Triangle, the Formosa Triangle (Traditional Chinese: 福爾摩沙三角; Simplified Chinese: 福尔摩沙三角; pinyin: Fúěrmóshā Sānjiǎo) and the "Pacific Bermuda Triangle", is a region of the Pacific around Miyake Island, about 100 km south of Tokyo. The size and area varies with the report (the only reports stem from the 1950s), with various reports placing it 70 miles from an unspecified part of Japan's east coast, 300 miles from the coast, and even near Iwo Jima, 750 miles from the coast.(Kusche:259-260)

The story is apparently based on a few articles published in Japanese newspapers in January 1955 of nine boats lost from unknown causes. Of these one was lost due to a volcano or tidal wave, another sent an SOS. The other seven boats were small fishing boats lost between April 1949 and October 1953 somewhere between Miyake Island and Iwo Jima, a distance of 750 miles.(Kusche: 258)

Neither the Devil's Sea nor the Bermuda Triangle is located on the agonic line, where the magnetic north equals the geographic north. The magnetic declination in this area is about 6°.

Last edited by einsteinium : 03-29-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: WRONG
(#2 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-29-2010, 02:55 AM

They all went to sail for the Grand Line, Searching for ONE PIECE, the treasure that would make their dreams, come true.- Insert FUNIMATION theme song here-

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Naedora (Offline)
JF Regular

03-29-2010, 03:12 AM

the smaller ships were most likely caught in whirlpools..
btw how is this related to war history?